GFCI outlets or breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelbuster

I live where block heaters are a way of life. It's -35F and 20 knots today. So I should have an informed opinion.

GFIC receptacles are too flimsy, they breakup pretty easily in the cold. GFCI breakers feeding Federal Spec receptacles are a lot more robust (reasd less maintenance).

Doesn't matter if you use GFCI receptacles or breakers. the only good way to insure the circuit is on is to use lighted cord drops, or equip the trucks with a lighted plug.

cf

If all 40 receps are going to be on one circuit and you use a GFCI breaker, one bad heater means 40 dead trucks in the morning.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The NEC is mostly silent on the issue of receptacle or circuit breaker, it merely requires a "GFCI protected receptacle", which can be either.
But for boat hoists, it must be a cb as the outlet must be protected. In elevator pits, a receptacle is required, so it can be easily reset.
I would rather see a receptacle, it can be reset right at the point of use. If the concern is they won't hold up, use a blank GFCI feeding a spec grade receptacle. But WPIU covers are required.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
We have fire trucks with block heaters, they use auto eject plugs that shoot it out when the engine starts. Too many trucks were pulling away dragging a cord, even when looped thru the mirror.

Volta

Electrified Truck Parking Spaces

Electrified Truck Parking Spaces

Might want to check with the AHJ to see if Article 626 (2008 NEC) is to be enforced for such. I feel that the article was written for loads such as refrigeration , a/c, or interior heating, but it can easily be read to include wiring to connect block heaters.

626.1 " The provisions of this article cover the electrical conductors and equipment external to the truck or refrigerated unit that connect trucks or transport refrigerated units to a supply of electricity, . . ."

Cold Fusion

2008 code change requires weather resistant devices outside.

Okay. Is that the box and in-use cover? Or is the receptacle to be marked "Weather resistant"?

cf

Do the weather resistant receptacles require an in-Use cover?

cf

yes......xxxx

Jim, Bob -
Thanks. it's always good to learn something new. That one would not have hit my list on the last code review.

cf

Cold Fusion

If all 40 receps are going to be on one circuit ...
That would be a first. The norm is to put each receptacle on on it's own circuit. For trucks you are looking at one circuit per truck. For personal vehicles one circuit per two vehicles may not work. My F150 has two 500W block heaters, 100W oil pan, and 75W transmission pan. (Most cars only have one block heater.) Two 1175W on a 20A CB may trip if they are on all night. However, down to -20F the circuit is likely okay - lots of installations cycle the block plug-ins 1/2hr on - 1/2hr off till -20F.

cf

Cold Fusion

Was at big blue yesterday. (Buying DIY plumbing stuff - I promise :))

They had tamperproof GFCI and tamperproof ordinary recetpacles. Price was double of the non-tamperproof. I didn't see any weather resistant of either type. Interesting,

cf

480sparky

Was at big blue yesterday. (Buying DIY plumbing stuff - I promise :))

They had tamperproof GFCI and tamperproof ordinary recetpacles. Price was double of the non-tamperproof. I didn't see any weather resistant of either type. Interesting,

cf

Because all they want to do is sell product, not comply with the Code. If, perchance, some poor DIY schmuck comes in wanting to really 'do it right', and wants to buy TR stuff, well, that's gonna end up a big bonanza for the big box store and makes their shareholders reeeeealy happy every quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.