An A for effort and a red tag too or not

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivsenroute

Would 110.14(A) be enough to say that this is a non-compliant installation?

Is there a better section to apply IF this is non-compliant?

What about using 310.15 instead?

IMG_2592.JPG

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
is that white a #6? It almost looks like it would fit in the hole on the bar.

Looks like they ran out of holes. Not sure why you wouldn't land the #6 in a hole and then do something else with a couple of the other smaller grounds...I personally would double up some of them on the terminal.

dana1028

Just want to verify what I think I see...he used a Kearney to connect a #6 [?] to a solid [#10, 12?] that he doubled over [so two of these wires actually are under the lug].

If so, certainly 408.41 and the Kearney probably is [usually] not listed for 3 conductors.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I believe the installer was too lazy to do it right, and ended up making it harder.

That #6 will fit the bus hole if you round it smoothly and take the screw out of the hole.

480sparky

I believe the installer was too lazy to do it right, and ended up making it harder.

That #6 will fit the bus hole if you round it smoothly and take the screw out of the hole.

Maybe the installer wants his hackness to be noticed. A cheesy hack would have simply cut some strands off the back side of the conductor and called it a day.

ivsenroute

It is a #6 copper

It is a #10 copper bent in half

It is a split-bolt

It is a main panel, not a sub-feed for a disconnect

It is NM cable

It is a neutral for a 50A circuit

I don't remember what it feeds because I took the picture over a year ago

No thoughts on what this would violate?

davedottcom

Maybe the installer wants his hackness to be noticed. A cheesy hack would have simply cut some strands off the back side of the conductor and called it a day.

His Hackness! That's a great name for him!

Looks like he also used the wrong hole for the bonding strap. There is one slightly closer to the ground terminals just above the one he used. He probably drilled his own... he didn't like the factory one. I keep checking the picture to see if the strap popped off the screw yet!

ty

I guess I see it now.

I don't see why this connection was even needed.
The white wire looks like it is long enough, it looks like it was already bent to go into the ground bar.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are technically three wires under the split bolt. I bet it is only rated for 2 wires.

I am with the others. Turn off the circuit- lift the neutral and put it under the lug. I can't believe the neutral won't fit under that lug.

Status
Not open for further replies.