Receptacles/Switches in trees???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jango

Can I get some to chime in on whether or not it is permissable by NEC code to install GFI receptacles and/or switches on a tree? Can someone let me know if there is somewhere in the code book that references this? Basically, I've been asked to install a switch and a receptacle for future Christmas lights on what appears to be a fully grown tree. I would use seal-tite flex as my conduit for flexibility but just want to confirm the code regarding this???

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You can install wiring on live tree as you've described. You cannot span from one live tree to another overhead. IMO your raceway would be subject to physical damage where it emerges from the ground. Therefore you would need to use a raceway that is permitted to be subject to physical damage. LFMC or LFNC is not permitted in such an instillation. 350.12(1) and 356.12(1).

Hendrix

Can I get some to chime in on whether or not it is permissable by NEC code to install GFI receptacles and/or switches on a tree? Can someone let me know if there is somewhere in the code book that references this? Basically, I've been asked to install a switch and a receptacle for future Christmas lights on what appears to be a fully grown tree. I would use seal-tite flex as my conduit for flexibility but just want to confirm the code regarding this???
If this is a temporary installation, take a look at 590.

jango

If this is a temporary installation, take a look at 590.

This would be a "permanent" installation and the building inspector informed my contractor that it is against the NEC code to put receptacles or swithces in trees and I cannot find where this is coming from??? Any other input as to whether or not this is an acceptible practice???

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Would a set of Christmas lights count as a "luminaire"? Perhaps 410.36(G) would come into play, and perhaps the receptacle and switch would qualify as "associated equipment."

jango

This says it all and is from the 08 NEC

So aside from anything to do with Christmas Lights, am I to understand correctly that it is indeed permissable to have GFCI receptacles and/or 120v switches located on a tree??? Provided of course the conduits, boxes, and fittings are watertight?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
So aside from anything to do with Christmas Lights, am I to understand correctly that it is indeed permissable to have GFCI receptacles and/or 120v switches located on a tree???

IMO, and from what I make of art. 410.36 (G), I would say it is absolutely okay to do. I have done it myself.

ty

So aside from anything to do with Christmas Lights, am I to understand correctly that it is indeed permissable to have GFCI receptacles and/or 120v switches located on a tree??? Provided of course the conduits, boxes, and fittings are watertight?

If this is on Public property, watch out for those sneaky Arborists. I have been in areas where they would not allow it at all.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
This says it all and is from the 08 NEC

410.36 Means of Support.
(G) Trees. Outdoor luminaires and associated equipment shall be permitted to be supported by trees.

So it's still the same.

I had an engineer from a POCO tell me that the '08 no longer allowed the tree thing.

I would say a receptacle intended for lights would qualify as 'associated equipment'.

Put me down for 'pass'.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So it's still the same.

I had an engineer from a POCO tell me that the '08 no longer allowed the tree thing.

I would say a receptacle intended for lights would qualify as 'associated equipment'.

Put me down for 'pass'.

If the receptacle or switch was not for a light then where is it specifically prohibited?

480sparky

......... Where in the NEC is it prohibited to put a receptacle on a tree?

HoltBlueDot.jpg

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So in answer to the original question the consensus is that you are permitted to install both the receptacle and switch on a live tree. I would think about using a raceway that will protect the conductors from physical damage.

Jim W in Tampa

So in answer to the original question the consensus is that you are permitted to install both the receptacle and switch on a live tree. I would think about using a raceway that will protect the conductors from physical damage.

I have a 100 + year oak in front yard and it is very much wired. 2 motion detecters that set off stobe lights so anyone entering yard is noticed from my DJ booth and from living room. Has receptacle for weed eater or whatever. Also has MH light mounted on it. And a light over our house numbers,I have all but the receptacle in carflex with some slack cause tree still growing. PVC from ground up about 2 feet to protect the UF cable. Not had any problems in 11 years with it. Far as i can see it is legal by nec.

Status
Not open for further replies.