New smoke-detector regulation goes into effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkb

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/04/new_smoke-detec.html

Here is a link to a story about the new requirements in MA for photoelectric smoke detectors.

It is now a requirement to install photoelectric smoke detectors before you sell your house.

April 5, 2010 06:13 PM
By Globe Staff

Starting today, some homeowners preparing to sell their houses have one more item to add to their to-do lists: equipping the residences with photoelectric smoke detectors.

Authorities say the detectors, which use light to detect smoke, are the most effective alarms to detect smoldering fires ? the kind of blazes that cause the most fatalities. Under a new state regulation, the detectors will be required for homes that were built before 1975 and are in the process of being sold or transferred, according to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services.

It applies to homes that have up to five units and rely on battery-operated smoke detectors, said State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan.

Photoelectric detectors must be installed within 20 feet of a kitchen or a bathrooms containing showers.

Coan said ionization smoke detectors were the first generation of alarms. They use radiation to detect smoke and are more effective for fast-moving and flaming fires -- for instance, when a Christmas tree catches fire.

While ionization alarms still have their place, photoelectric detectors are more effective in detecting slow-moving fires.

?Those smoldering-type fires are the more deadly fires that people die from in the middle of the night when a cigarette smolders in a mattress or couch,? Coan said.

The change is also aimed at nuisance alarms that prompt homeowners to disable their ionization detectors; burnt toast or steamy showers can often accidentally set them off, for example.

?We strongly urge all people to understand that this regulation is so important to life safety,? Coan said. ?People should move forward, even if they are not selling their homes, and have new technology smoke-alarms installed.?

chris1971

In MN its the law to have a CO detector installed within 10' of every bedroom. We can use the plug in style to meet the requirement.

mkgrady

http://www.boston.com/news/local/breaking_news/2010/04/new_smoke-detec.html

Here is a link to a story about the new requirements in MA for photoelectric smoke detectors.

It is now a requirement to install photoelectric smoke detectors before you sell your house.

I checked it out. I follwed the link and the attached links to state regs. You must have a combination of photo and ionization unless they are within 20 feet of a bathroom (with tub or shower) or a kitchen. It is also dependent on the age of the house. If combos are not used then both types must be installed for each location requirement.

So a few minutes ago I get a call from a realtor. I'm glad I just read the regs. I need to change the smokes so they can sell.

I did not know combination smoke detectors existed. Are they common? I assume there will be a shortage of them in Mass as this law was just enacted April 5th.

JWCELECTRIC

Couple more items for the smoke detector requierment for new construction:

If any room can be used for sleeping (i.e. Study, Parlor, Living room etc.) then a smoke detector is required in that room.

Also if there are more than 12 smoke detectors and more than 18 combined devices then a Systems Type Device (Fire Alarm Panel) alarming system must be installed.

780 CMR 5313 Life Safety Systems - Seveth Edition

Unless you have a Systems Installation license you will need to sub the work out on larger houses.

electricmanscott

Couple more items for the smoke detector requierment for new construction:

If any room can be used for sleeping (i.e. Study, Parlor, Living room etc.) then a smoke detector is required in that room.

Also if there are more than 12 smoke detectors and more than 18 combined devices then a Systems Type Device (Fire Alarm Panel) alarming system must be installed.

780 CMR 5313 Life Safety Systems - Seveth Edition

Unless you have a Systems Installation license you will need to sub the work out on larger houses.

The first part is nonsense. As Bob said ANY room can be used for sleeping.

As far as the license issue goes these are the license definitions from the Board of Electricians Website.

Journeyman Electrician means a holder of a Class B license and a person qualified to do the work of installing, repairing, or maintaining wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures, or other appliances used for heat, light, power, fire warning or security system purposes.

Master Electrician means a a holder of a Class A license and a person, firm, or corporation having a regular place of business who, by the employment of journeymen or apprentices, performs the work of installing, repairing or maintaining wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures or other appliances used for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes; provided, however, that no journeyman electrician so employed shall have more than one apprentice under his supervision; and provided, further, that not more than one such apprentice shall be employed for each journeyman electrician purposes.

cpal

As far as the license issue goes these are the license definitions from the Board of Electricians Website.

Journeyman Electrician means a holder of a Class B license and a person qualified to do the work of installing, , fire warning or security system purposes.

Master Electrician means a a holder of a Class A license and a person, firm, or corporation having a regular place of business who, by the employment of journeymen or apprentices, performs the work of installing,, fire warning or security system purposes;.

How you been Scott?;)

JWCELECTRIC

The first part is nonsense. As Bob said ANY room can be used for sleeping.

Journeyman Electrician means a holder of a Class B license and a person qualified to do the work of installing, repairing, or maintaining wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures, or other appliances used for heat, light, power, fire warning or security system purposes.

Master Electrician means a a holder of a Class A license and a person, firm, or corporation having a regular place of business who, by the employment of journeymen or apprentices, performs the work of installing, repairing or maintaining wires, conduits, apparatus, devices, fixtures or other appliances used for light, heat, power, fire warning or security system purposes; provided, however, that no journeyman electrician so employed shall have more than one apprentice under his supervision; and provided, further, that not more than one such apprentice shall be employed for each journeyman electrician purposes.

Scott,

Thats how I see it any room can be used for sleeping. I have a copy of the regs but I have chicken scratch all over it from the 15 hr code review weekend retereat. If someone has clean copy of State Building code 780 CMR 5313 Life Safety Systems - Seveth Edition you will see sleeping room. I don't have definition for sleeping room but it was explained that it can be any room.

System Contractor is a class C license, Not sure if you are a Masters or Journeyman that you have license to install fire alarm systems. I think if you apply for the class C license your time as electrician will qualify.

It's not a bad thing to sub the work out, add the usually 30% markup for doing nothing.

These rule are just another way that electricians are loosing work. You also need a class S licence for security and you must have clearence (CORI) thru Deparment of Public Safety

iwire

Staff member
My J-man license allows me to install Fire Alarm Systems, I do it all the time.

To do security work I did have an S number added and that was simple, just a quick background check.

Subing out and adding 30% is great as long as it does not price you out of the job.

Nfpa 72 & irc

Nfpa 72 & irc

We rely on NFPA 72, IRC 2006, and manufacturer specs for smoke detector installs. Typically we have 1 detector inside each bedroom, 1 detector in the hallway immediately outside each bedroom and at least 1 detector per level. In addition we have state amendments which mandate at least 1 carbon monoxide detector per level. We do see a lot of combination type detectors. All must be hardwired with battery backup but we don't specify photo or ion, (heat type don't count since they sense temperature but not particulates).

I am a believer in following the specs which frequently get overlooked such as placement (too close to corners and air returns nullifies operation), maintenance (vacuum out 2x per year), and regular replacement (every 5 years or so). They are pretty cheap relative to how important they are for safety.

I've always thought a company could really upsell life safety equipment such as detectors. (For less than 350.00 we could upgrade your system for better/safer operation...) You would be amazed at what other companies charge for smoke detectors. I sat through a presentation which offered basically what I considered 'standard' photo type detectors for 'only' 1300.00 with payment plan options. I was floored when people got in line to sign up.

Sometimes the little things are the big things.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
Can these newly required photo electric smokes be only battery powered? To upgrade an older to home to current standards could be beyond the capacity of the homeowner to pay. Especially an oldster that is moving out with a financial hardship.

electricmanscott

Can these newly required photo electric smokes be only battery powered? To upgrade an older to home to current standards could be beyond the capacity of the homeowner to pay. Especially an oldster that is moving out with a financial hardship.

The links posted have all the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.