210.52(A)(1) Spacing issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjenks

When I read the requirement it says: "Receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 6 ft from a receptacle outlet."

it doesn't say "at each wall space" only "any."

With that in mind I am trying to figure out if I need a receptacle on the following residential wall: A receptacle is right next to a door, on the other side of the door opening is a 2 ft wall space, then sliding closet doors.

It seems to me I can use the outlet on the other side of the doorl for that 2 ft space as it is 6 ft measured horizontally along the floor line. However, I don't think that meets the intent of the code as I would hate to see someone plug something in from that 2 ft wall and have to run the cord on the floor past the door. Do you think the wording really should say each wall space instead of any or does it mean the same thing and I have to put a receptacle on any wall space over 2'?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I disagree, but I do not have the book handy to help me justify my disagreement. I know that I submitted a proposal to change the wording of this section, and my specific intent was to prohibit taking credit for a receptacle located across a doorway. So I am sure I must have believed the present wording does not prohibit it. Perhaps someone could quote the exact wording of the article, and that will help me remember why I believed that. BTW, my proposal was rejected.

raider1

Staff member
Charlie, here is the wording of 210.52(A)

(A) General Provisions. In every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sunroom, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units, receptacle outlets shall be installed in accordance with the general provisions specified in 210.52(A)(1) through (A)(3).
(1) Spacing. Receptacles shall be installed such that no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than 1.8 m (6 ft) from a receptacle outlet.
(2) Wall Space. As used in this section, a wall space shall include the following:
(1) Any space 600 mm (2 ft) or more in width (including space measured around corners) and unbroken along the floor line by doorways, fireplaces, and similar openings
(2) The space occupied by fixed panels in exterior walls, excluding sliding panels
(3) The space afforded by fixed room dividers such as freestanding bar-type counters or railings

Chris

jumper

I disagree, but I do not have the book handy to help me justify my disagreement. I know that I submitted a proposal to change the wording of this section, and my specific intent was to prohibit taking credit for a receptacle located across a doorway. So I am sure I must have believed the present wording does not prohibit it. Perhaps someone could quote the exact wording of the article, and that will help me remember why I believed that. BTW, my proposal was rejected.

This might help jog your memory.
http://forums.mikeholt.com/showthread.php?t=106199&highlight=210.52(A)(1)

Bjenks

Great Minds think alike :grin:
Charlie hit my exact thought/concern with even the change in wording that I was thinking. I wonder if it got rejected because the intent is in the definition of wall space or they believe you only need to be able to reach a receptacle withing 6' of wall space?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks Chris and Derek. Now I remember my reasoning. Jim, you are certainly right that the doorway breaks the plane into two wall spaces, and each wall space needs to be served a receptacle. The problem with the existing wording is that the wall space on the right side of the door can be served by a receptacle on the left side of the door. The notion of "6 feet measured along the floor line" does not prohibit you from including the width of the doorway as part of the 6 feet.

I don't remember why they rejected my proposal.

Bjenks

(1) Spacing. Receptacles shall be installed in each wall space so that no point
measured horizontally along the floor line in any that wall space is more than
1.8 m (6 ft) from a receptacle outlet

They said it was rejected because "No clarity is provided by the submitter’s recommendation."

I would strongly disagree as I wouldn't have asked the question if I didn't see a loophole in the wording. I wonder if they got lost in your example (1) and the first part of example (2). I wonder if you would have just focused on the doorway part of (2b) would they see the light of the recommendation. I also would have replaced your wording "in that wall space" to match your first replacement and said "in each wall space". Maybe that would bring more clarity.

Now I have to rely upon Jumper's statement that we should just know. I agree with the idea, just don't clearly see that as a requirement.

Last edited:

jumper

Now I have to rely upon Jumper's statement that we should just know
. I agree with the idea, just don't clearly see that as a requirement.

Easy now,that is not what I said. I was teasing charlie b. JK means just kidding. I see his point in the wording clearly, once I read it. I think you both have valid points worth discussing.

Last edited:

Volta

I don't feel that "unbroken along the floor line by doorways" is unclear.

If the wall space is broken by a doorway, in any spacial dimension along the floorline, it is a separate "wall space". If you cannot measure along an unbroken wall space and find a receptacle outlet within 6 feet, the installation violates 210.52(A)(1). If we claim a receptacle on the other side of a doorway, we aren't complying with (A)(2).

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I don't feel that "unbroken along the floor line by doorways" is unclear.
Nor do I. But that merely establishes what is a wall space, and what is not.
If the wall space is broken by a doorway, in any spatial dimension along the floor line, it is a separate "wall space".
You’ll get no argument from me on this point.
If you cannot measure along an unbroken wall space and find a receptacle outlet within 6 feet, the installation violates 210.52(A)(1).
There I disagree with you. Nothing requires us to measure the 6 foot distance within the same wall space. That is precisely the point I tried to make with my proposal. I don’t want a receptacle on one wall space to satisfy the requirements for a separate wall space. But the present NEC wording allows it, and the code committee did not see fit to correct the wording.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
The door breaks up the wall. You have 2 walls and yes needs receptacle on walls 24 inches or more.

I'm gonna go with this answer given the provision that the receptacle on the wall needs to be within the same wall space as that "any wall space."

So maybe the words "within the same wall space" need to be added.

kwired

Electron manager
I'm gonna go with this answer given the provision that the receptacle on the wall needs to be within the same wall space as that "any wall space."

So maybe the words "within the same wall space" need to be added.

A receptacle in the floor is not "within the same wall space" but yet can be the required receptacle.

One-eyed Jack

Nor do I. But that merely establishes what is a wall space, and what is not.You?ll get no argument from me on this point.There I disagree with you. Nothing requires us to measure the 6 foot distance within the same wall space. That is precisely the point I tried to make with my proposal. I don?t want a receptacle on one wall space to satisfy the requirements for a separate wall space. But the present NEC wording allows it, and the code committee did not see fit to correct the wording.

This is where logic and common sense should prevail. One does not string cords across doorways and or cased openings. Nothing permits you to count the doorway space either.

Volta

...There I disagree with you. Nothing requires us to measure the 6 foot distance within the same wall space. That is precisely the point I tried to make with my proposal. I don?t want a receptacle on one wall space to satisfy the requirements for a separate wall space. But the present NEC wording allows it, and the code committee did not see fit to correct the wording.

"...no point measured horizontally along the floor line in any wall space is more than...

Given the fact that the description of "wall space" as used in that Section disallows traversing a doorway, fireplace, or similar opening, I don't see how a separate wall space can be considered as a possible interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.