Bulbs keep blowing

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaptd

I need some insite if anybody has run into this before. My neighbor says his track lights and recessed light bulbs are not lasting long at all. He says they keep blowing and is sick of replacing them. He said they were incandescents. I plan on turning the breaker off to see what else in on that circuit. The lights are in the kitchen and breakfast area. Well thats what I have to start with. Is there something I'm missing?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The first thing to do is to replace the bulbs with 130v bulbs and trash those cheap 120v bulbs that he is probably using. Most power companies deliver more than 120v so the 120v bulbs don't last long. Try the 130v bulbs

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I think this could be a symptom of a loose neutral connection. I believe that a loose neutral connection could cause higher than normal voltage on a circuit.

Perhaps someone has some more insight as to what a loose neutral on a circuit would cause.

Jim W in Tampa

Check all neutrals from poco to branch. Would suggest led or flor lamps if they can afford. Other than that buy quality lamps 130 volt. Are no incandesant bulbs in my house sept for the frig and micro

zaptd

Check all neutrals from poco to branch. Would suggest led or flor lamps if they can afford. Other than that buy quality lamps 130 volt. Are no incandesant bulbs in my house sept for the frig and micro

Ok. That makes two for higher voltage bulbs and one for change to fluor

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I will tell from from my experience it is the bulb 99% of the time. It also could be the wrong wattage bulbs for the fixture.

cadpoint

I missed a few things, how old is this light, is the light newer than the circuit that it's now on? Was this all recently done? Who did the install, when did is go in? All no matter but something to keep in mind.

I'm going to say a pretty well placed nail some where in the circuit! Rehab work can be a bummer some times...

My nail theory can be tested with an AFCI.
Turn off lights, bring up breaker bring up the lights!

Your going to meggar it right? :) ... Carry on!

Status
Not open for further replies.