2011 Handbook...$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave58er

Open Neutral

Occupation
Engineer
It's an interesting contrast to the Internet world, where the opposite is true.

The standards there, called RFC's, are from the IETF and they are by design freely available everywhere.

resistance

I agree, the NEC books in general are very expensive!! I got lucky and got my 2008 (softbound) for $45 from Platt--they had them on special. Should have bought more than one, and sold them on eBay!! Outside of that, I normally pay about the same as everyone else. While things are taut, send a message (Note: May need a multitude to make a real dent, or statement) by not buying the book, and using the free internet copy! Other option: You can also buy a monthly service from NFPA (NEC Digest), and cancel at any time.
Educational books in general are outrageous!!!!
:roll:

resistance

To add: It seems like I just got one book, and now they are talking about the 2011. I'm like, "Goodness, give me a chance to open the first!!!!!":roll:

Not only that, we are being hit in the pocket hard here (WA). We have to take classes every so often, and the classes---depending---can run you $120 a pop!!! To think, some people may have to take 4 classes:mad:. Being a contractor I even take more hits!!! It's non-stop taking here!!! Hard to make a profit!!!

Not only that, we are being hit in the pocket hard here (WA). We have to take classes every so often, and the classes---depending---can run you $120 a pop!!! To think, some people may have to take 4 classes:mad:. Being a contractor I even take more hits!!! It's non-stop taking here!!! Hard to make a profit!!!

This is another factor. I teach a lot of different classed myself. Yet I have to take a lot of classes to keep up with my CEUs for the different licenses and Certificates I hold, including NYS stuff. You would think since I have hundreds of hours teaching I could use those towards my CEU requirements...NOT

I taught an '08 seminar not too long ago. Nearly 50% of the guys have not purchased the '08 yet...because of the financial issues these days...

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The NFPA is non-profit. I get at least one mailing a week from them for 11 NEC, or a catalog, or a semnar.
I get me code books at CED, last time It was cheaper than IAEI and I was a member then.

MNWildcat

Or to pay for all the other junk they send you in the mail! ;)

As a NFPA member, I receive lots of junk mail from them. A few times a week I get catalogs or other solicitations to buy other matierial. Usually I receive catalogs that are almost identical. It is very frustraiting that they waste that much money of these mailing.

foqnc

As a NFPA member, I receive lots of junk mail from them. A few times a week I get catalogs or other solicitations to buy other matierial. Usually I receive catalogs that are almost identical. It is very frustraiting that they waste that much money of these mailing.

I am not a member, but they have tracked me down to my work address, and are sending me applications to join. :roll:

Cold Fusion

There is at least one outfit I know of that is fighting the high costs. They have links to all of the state websites where the codes are part of the state law and are published on the state website. The ones I looked at were all pdfs.

Their comment to the publishers roughly translated to: We will get rid of the links to your documents as soon as we receive the court order telling us to do so.

cf

brian john

For whatever reason, technical books have always been outrageously priced. In fact any kind of educational book is in the same genre. How many times have you taken a class, bought the book for $89.95 and sold it back to the bookstore for $20.00 after the course is over. What a racket!

Bought a Calculus book for $185.00 in the early 1980's, I was surprised at the price but the instructor told us the book was good for Calculus I, II and III, so it softened the blow. Then next term Calculus II, they switched books another 185.00 big ones, they did use this book for Calculus III.

glene77is

There is at least one outfit I know of that is fighting the high costs. They have links to all of the state websites where the codes are part of the state law and are published on the state website.
Their comment to the publishers roughly translated to: We will get rid of the links to your documents as soon as we receive the court order telling us to do so.
cf

Cold Fusion,

I think I found that site. Many are photocopied PDF compilations.
There was mention of a court ruling in the 80's to the effect that 'rules' that are 'law' should be 'free' to the people
who are required to follow those 'laws'.
I am not trying to start a offshoot thread.
Just thought it was interesting. I downloaded one for Arkansas, and have decided that for the purpose of reading, I should continue to buy the NEC as published.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
For whatever reason, technical books have always been outrageously priced. In fact any kind of educational book is in the same genre. How many times have you taken a class, bought the book for $89.95 and sold it back to the bookstore for $20.00 after the course is over. What a racket!

It sure seems like it.

Somehow you have to pay for a book that costs tens of millions to write and publish, but is not exactly a best seller.

Cold Fusion

... Somehow you have to pay for a book that costs tens of millions to write and publish, but is not exactly a best seller.
Some years back I got this deranged thought. The code authors give the model codes to the states for free because when the codes are enacted, that means millions of dollars in revenue to the code agency because the contractors/workers/students are now required to purchase copies.

Here is the deranged thought. Let the state governments pay the NFPA for the privilege of using NFPA 70 in the state law. And if the share for each state that adopts it is $500K, so be it. And since anybody can publish the state law, the NEC comes out looking llike a news paper or a CFR or a CD, and are cheap.

cf

macmikeman

Some years back I got this deranged thought. The code authors give the model codes to the states for free because when the codes are enacted, that means millions of dollars in revenue to the code agency because the contractors/workers/students are now required to purchase copies.

Here is the deranged thought. Let the state governments pay the NFPA for the privilege of using NFPA 70 in the state law. And if the share for each state that adopts it is $500K, so be it. And since anybody can publish the state law, the NEC comes out looking llike a news paper or a CFR or a CD, and are cheap.

cf

Yes it is a deranged thought, cause then the state passes the cost of that purchase onto the backs of electrical contractors who purchase building permits, who then pass that cost on to the backs of the customers. TAX, TAX, and more TAX, and then TAX some more....

Status
Not open for further replies.