AL/CU Wirenuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

dereckbc

Staff member
Another dumb Engineers question. How do you identify a AL/CU wire nut by looking at it? Say a # 2 AWG AL to a # 6AWG CU on a 30 amp HVAC circuit?

Last edited:

dereckbc

Staff member
OK that is what I was thinking.

So if you were to get a service call how would you fix this?

#4 AL from the breaker panel ran all the way outside by the HVAC unit to a J box, then a transition to a # 6 AWG CU from the J-box 6 feet to HVAC?

Term Strip?

Had an outage and small fire last night. One leg wire nut was melted, and burnt up the j-box. Fortunately it was on a brick wall.

Last edited:

dereckbc

Staff member
Bob,thank you. Just what I was looking for. One more question.

I assume the reducer is insulated? Naturally I will tape.

iwire

Staff member
Bob,thank you. Just what I was looking for. One more question.

I assume the reducer is insulated? Naturally I will tape.

You can get them with a insulation boot but I just buy them bare and tape them. Often the premade boot is to big and bulky for the box.

mxslick

Bob's are good.

Here's another option: insulated dual rated from POLARIS and they are available in a large range of sizes and configurations. Prices aren't too bad either.

dereckbc

Staff member
I don't think I'd try wirenuts for wire that large. A mixed-metal split-bolt (with the divider plate) would be better, or small 2-hole Polaris-type splices.
Well if there is no UL wire nut for AL/CU, your answer confuses me. What is a Polaris Splice?

dereckbc

Staff member
Bob's are good.

Here's another option: insulated dual rated from POLARIS and they are available in a large range of sizes and configurations. Prices aren't too bad either.
OK that answers my Polaris question. I have seen them and know what you are talking about now. OK 2 Polaris splices, and a larger J-Box than 4 inches.

mxslick

I think the ones for the smaller wire size will still fit in a 4s box...of course you mentioned that the box got burned in your case..got any pics? :grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
OK 2 Polaris splices, and a larger J-Box than 4 inches.
That's the main disadvantage of Bob's in-line splices, which I have used. I'd like to see a "U-turn" version, sort of like a 2-hole mechanical lug without the stud tab.

Hey, I wonder if one could cut the tab off of a 2-hole lug and use it as a splice? Legally, I mean.

dereckbc

Staff member
got any pics? :grin:
Yes. Not any Before, but here is the AFTER Pics when the HVAC contractor that installed it 4 years came to repair it. Needless to say he is going to hear from me.

012.jpg

mxslick

One last question. If it were your home; would you use a No-Ox grease?

Absolutely. I think (but I'm not sure) that the Polaris connectors have a no-ox compound in them from the factory.

That's the main disadvantage of Bob's in-line splices, which I have used. I'd like to see a "U-turn" version, sort of like a 2-hole mechanical lug without the stud tab.

Hey, I wonder if one could cut the tab off of a 2-hole lug and use it as a splice? Legally, I mean.

The Polaris are available inline or side by each, so fit is no problem.

I see no safety reason why not on the lug..I would do it for an emergency fix. I think it could be said cutting the tab voids the UL listing though.

Yes. Not any Before, but here is the AFTER Pics when the HVAC contractor that installed it 4 years came to repair it. Needless to say he is going to hear from me.

012.jpg

Good chance to educate him on the Polaris connectors.. or let him keep using big blues so you can get more repair work. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.