romex or mc cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
new farm shop,12000 sf,shop area will be wired in emt,also has 4000 sf of offices and a full kitchen,2 offices,and 2 bathrooms that is wood framed,this is way out in the sticks but we do have a state inspector,but he says they have no jurisdiction with farm shops,question is would you guys use romex or mc in the kitchen,office,bathroom areas?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
new farm shop,12000 sf,shop area will be wired in emt,also has 4000 sf of offices and a full kitchen,2 offices,and 2 bathrooms that is wood framed,this is way out in the sticks but we do have a state inspector,but he says they have no jurisdiction with farm shops,question is would you guys use romex or mc in the kitchen,office,bathroom areas?

It depends on what classification the building is. Look at 334.10 and check with the inspector.

arits74

Occupation
working owner electrician
I assume there will be some suspended ceilings?

You can not use NM above the dropped ceilings of non-dwelling units.
no suspended ceilings,all sheetrock,and to dennis,the inspector pretty much said he did not care how we wired the building if you can believe that since they have no jurisdiction on farm shops,its pretty much a fancy farm shop with kitchen,offices,and bathrooms.it does have a pit in the shop for oil changes but we roughed in 2 rigid pipes in the slab to supply this,as i am thinking this was a class 1 div1 area,but the inspector says the pit in this situation does not even have to be wired for that class.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I guess if I were doing the job I would keep things as close to code as possible. Because the AHJ doesn't care your license and liability are still on the line. I guess if this is a commercial area with wood construction I probably would use nm cable in the kitchen areas, etc

kwired

Electron manager
Buildings like this that I have done more recently I have either run in raceways or MC cable. I have seen too many farm shops and attached office areas that no matter how well they are built eventually have rodents in the attics and walls and this is never good with NM cable. Exposed NM cable is better when it comes to potential rodent damage.

Same situation here, these buildings are outside State Electrical Division jurisdiction and are not inspected, many people wire them with NM cable whether code compliant or not, but lately I have been avoiding the use of NM in them period. They are often no different than a commercial shop in how they are built or used.

crazyboy

Article 334.12(a)(2)
334.12 Uses Not Permitted.
(A) Types NM, NMC, and NMS. Types NM, NMC, and
NMS cables shall not be permitted as follows:

(1) In any dwelling or structure not specifically permitted
in 334.10(1), (2), and (3)
Exception: Type NM, NMC, and NMS cable shall be permitted
in Type I and II construction when installed within
raceways permitted to be installed in Type I and II
construction.
(2) Exposed in dropped or suspended ceilings in other
than one- and two-family and multifamily dwellings

Exposed (as applied to wiring methods). On or attached
to the surface or behind panels designed to allow access.

So what constitutes behind I guess?

Status
Not open for further replies.