Hot Tub Wiring, 220V

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The proper wire size does not depend only on the voltage level. What does the manufacturer say about the amount of load, or the required breaker size, or the wire size? As to the insulated ground, I do not have my NEC handy, but I don't know of any reason a ground wire could not be bare copper in this application. Why would you want to use insulated wire for an EGC?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am going to look at the job this afternoon, but from what I spoke to the homeowner about yesterday, she stated that the hot tub was inside.
So, are you an electrician in training and you are going to wire a hot tub? I would be very careful here.

mmarro

Been doing residential and commercial wiring for 3 years now, just not Hot Tubs. Did one Hot Tub. Did that one 2 years ago in a new construction house. I am trained well. Just looking for some advice on Hot Tub installation.

mmarro

She said it was in the house, so it May be in an enclosed patio. I will find out for sure tomorrow. I appreciate all your help. And I look forward to getting more information to you all.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Again, is this a hot tub or whirlpool? I've never installed a hot tub in a house.

I did about 17 years ago, the homeowner decided he wanted a hot tub in his finished basement (all sheetrock). Told him he would probably have a lot of mold problems, but he wanted it there anyway. Never heard how long he kept it down there.

hurk27

680.40 will require you to follow Part I and Part IV of 680, and indoor installations 680.43 will require you to follow Parts I and II of this article.

I would read these sections and then post what you don't understand, as since we can't see what you might encounter, a person needs to be there that has the understanding of the NEC to be able to know what has to happen, there are many things that can be a big liability when installing a hot tub, and there are many requirements to make it a safe installation.

Split Bolt

As 480sparky was saying, the definition of what you are hooking-up is VERY important! See the definition for "Hydromassage Bathtub" in 680.2. Then check out 680.70. (Part VII)

Jim W in Tampa

Please take the time to read all of 680 before even starting the job. Many things involved with what at first glance is an easy job. You will need gfci protection, disconnect, grounding of not only the tub but of floor under it. Will be limits of what can be above it.Also will be 120 volt receptacle required for general use. Wire size and type depend on conditions and the specs that come with it. Hopefully this will be permited and inspected.

Split Bolt

Also, there may be local codes added to the NEC. In the City of Alexandria, Virginia, they require a "kill switch" in the bathroom. This became a local code after a young girl got her hair caught in the intake and her mother couldn't turn it off before the girl drowned.

Status
Not open for further replies.