junction box in attic-inspector question

Status
Not open for further replies.

M. D.

If it were so clear why would Washington state need to add a bit of language?

(1) Conduit bodies, junction, pull, and outlet boxes must be installed so that the wiring contained in them is accessible without removing any part of the building structure, including insulation material.

So I guess no j-boxes above suspended ceilings in Washing:roll:ton.

M. D.

if it were so clear why would Washington state need to add this bit of language

(1) Conduit bodies, junction, pull, and outlet boxes must be installed so that the wiring contained in them is accessible without removing any part of the building structure, including insulation material.

M. D.

can't see page 11

can't see page 11

I wonder why I can't see page 11.. there are two maybe three posts tat are very similar sorry folks ....

480sparky

Wow who would have thought that all one has to do is cut a hole in the sheet rock open the box and do what needs doing and then replace the sheetrock. What a concept!!!! Nowhere in the NEC does it say that sheetrock can not be repaired. This is just like opening a door and then closing it back when you leave. I bet this concept would work on brick as well. Let's all just start making joints behind any thing that we can cut or chisel out.

So in you brilliance you are saying this concept is acceptable with the NEC?

But all I need to do is......... put the insulation back, and it will function just the same as before my arrival.

I don't need to 'patch' it, it doesn't need mud & tape and skimming and feathering and sanding and repainting. I put it back and it's done.

Just like closing the door to the electrical room. The building codes require the fire-rated door, but I open it and I no longer have a fire door...... I have an 80" tall break in the fire rating. I close it, and I comply with the code.

480sparky

If it were so clear why would Washington state need to add a bit of language?

So I guess no j-boxes above suspended ceilings in Washing:roll:ton.

Nor could you install anything like this:

outlets_insulation_covers.jpg

jwelectric

All of your examples are damaging or removing a buildings finish, which is a NEC violation. Brushing blown in insulation out of your way is obviously no comparison.
Then I must say that you have no knowledge of the building codes as the insulation is mandated to be there and installed in a certain manner. Brushing it around is not one of them.

The insulation is part of the building finish and therefore brushing it back does mean that you have removed it from its place of origin

480sparky

Then I must say that you have no knowledge of the building codes as the insulation is mandated to be there and installed in a certain manner. Brushing it around is not one of them.

The insulation is part of the building finish and therefore brushing it back does mean that you have removed it from its place of origin

So a plumber cannot move it to repair a leaky pipe? The tin-benders can't touch it to repair a broken duct? The roof has leaked, and the ceiling must be replaced........ but you can't remove it because that would disturb the properly-installed insulation and that would be a violation.

Last edited:

480sparky

Ha!!

I looked too quick I thought it was a wall plate. That's a great point, its insulation and part of the building finish!!!!!!!!!

Put one of those innocent-looking little critters in, and you render the wiring in the box inaccessible.

"Well, ma'am, I'm sure the short is in this box, but I can't get to it because of the foam insulation behind the cover. You'd better hire some unlicensed hack from Craigslist if you want it fixed."

jwelectric

So a plumber cannot move it to repair a leaky pipe? The tin-benders can't touch it to repair a broken duct? The roof has leaked, and the ceiling must be replaced........ but you can't remove it because that would disturb the properly-installed insulation and that would be a violation.

I suppose there is something in the plumbing and mechanical codes but we aren?t discussing these codes. What we are addressing is 314.29 and the removal of any part of the building to access an electrical box. I feel sure that you are wanting to discuss the matter at hand and not the other trades now are you not?

mcclary's electrical

I suppose there is something in the plumbing and mechanical codes but we aren?t discussing these codes. What we are addressing is 314.29 and the removal of any part of the building to access an electrical box. I feel sure that you are wanting to discuss the matter at hand and not the other trades now are you not?

Then address the post above yours. It plainly another example of the same thing. Would it be illegal to remove that and look at wiring?

You have plainly lost it

mcclary's electrical

removed?? what am I gonna do?? put it in my truck and leave with it?:mad:

jwelectric

Hey Mike, are you going to adress the issue of Jboxes above dropped ceilings or not.

I already did but to humor you one more time. Can you explain to me how you are confusing a ceiling tile and blown insulation. I do believe we are talking about two separate items.

But to address your question in full should that drop ceiling be installed in a manner that didn?t allow for removal and replacement of the tile then the box wouldn?t be allowed to be installed there would it?

And finally for those who do not know permission is given to allow a box to be installed above a suspended ceiling in 300.23

Did I cover this in enough detail for you this time?

480sparky

I already did but to humor you one more time. Can you explain to me how you are confusing a ceiling tile and blown insulation. I do believe we are talking about two separate items.

But to address your question in full should that drop ceiling be installed in a manner that didn?t allow for removal and replacement of the tile then the box wouldn?t be allowed to be installed there would it?

And finally for those who do not know permission is given to allow a box to be installed above a suspended ceiling in 300.23

Did I cover this in enough detail for you this time?

Suppose the ceiling tile has an R-rating?

mivey

Should you decide to insert it into you pocket wouldn't matter to the fact that it was removed from its original position now would it?
How do you prevent the fibers from sticking to your clothes when working in the attic? The nuclear plants have a device that checks to be sure you do not have hot particles stuck to you when you leave a hot zone. Are you saying they make such a sniffer for blown-in insulation too?

Status
Not open for further replies.