joist in way of can light

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4gery

You might see things a little different if you had sugar put in your gas tank on that job. Now I use a lock cap

No, I would not see things as you do. If someone poured sugar in my gas tank I certainly wouldn't sabotage the customer's plumbing like you suggested earlier, that is simply wrong (nevermind illegal).

eprice

That would not be a wise assumption.

When I see the word "Joist" I think 2X8" or 2X10", etc. What you are talking about is usually referred to as a TJI or I-joist.

Construction practice must be a bit different where you are. It has been probably 10 years since I have seen a home built using dimensional lumber (2x8's, 2x10's etc.) for floor joists other than outside deck joists. Occasionally, maybe 2 times a year or so, I'll see them use open web type joists, the ones built similar to roof trusses. So, when somebody says "joist" I think I-joist.

electricmanscott

Construction practice must be a bit different where you are. It has been probably 10 years since I have seen a home built using dimensional lumber (2x8's, 2x10's etc.) for floor joists other than outside deck joists. Occasionally, maybe 2 times a year or so, I'll see them use open web type joists, the ones built similar to roof trusses. So, when somebody says "joist" I think I-joist.

Fair enough. :)

220/221

The joists on either side aren't lokely designed to carry additional load.

It'd be a cold day in hell before I'd cut and reframe a joist rather than move a can 3 inches. ;)

hurk27

The joists on either side aren't likely designed to carry additional load.

It'd be a cold day in hell before I'd cut and reframe a joist rather than move a can 3 inches. ;)

I would have to agree with you one this one, there is no way my liability insurance will cover me doing structural modifications, and as with the OP statement that these are in fact manufactured trusses you could end up paying for truss repairs or replacement that could wind up costing more then the profit of your electrical work, if a truss is in the way of my locating any of my electrical installation, it would have to be dealt with by the GC or home owner, and the remedies other then relocation of the electrical install will be done by those who are equipped with the knowledge to correctly do the modification, and those who will be covered by insurance that covers that type of work, but I would quickly point out if I was asked to do it, that my insurance does not cover this type of construction, just like I do when asked to hook up the water or gas to appliances, unless you have insurance to cover you doing that type of work leave it alone period! or you can wind up in paying for some expensive repairs.

hurk27

To add to the above post, we had a electrical contractor here about 15 years ago, who had a worker who though being nice to a homeowner went ahead and hooked up a washer and gas dryer, some how he damaged the flex line for the gas and it came apart when the home owners was away lucky for him no one was at home, as it filled the house with gas and the furnace kick on and the house exploded, they traced the leak down to the damage to the dryer flex line, and when they found out it was the electrician who hooked it up, they went after him full bore, he wound up loosing everything he had, and even filling bankruptcy he still lost his house his shop and cars, and his insurance was off the hook as it did not cover him doing plumbing, and he didn't have a license to do plumbing.

so even doing something trying to be nice can bit you bad.

jetlag

No, I would not see things as you do. If someone poured sugar in my gas tank I certainly wouldn't sabotage the customer's plumbing like you suggested earlier, that is simply wrong (nevermind illegal).

That was a joke , will you drop it , I never did that before , I just said I knew a fix too. Why do you go back and jump on the person that said they knew a fix first and demand to know what that was.

M4gery

That was a joke , will you drop it , I never did that before , I just said I knew a fix too. Why do you go back and jump on the person that said they knew a fix first and demand to know what that was.

You're not a very nice person.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
To add to the above post, we had a electrical contractor here about 15 years ago, who had a worker who though being nice to a homeowner went ahead and hooked up a washer and gas dryer, some how he damaged the flex line for the gas and it came apart when the home owners was away lucky for him no one was at home, as it filled the house with gas and the furnace kick on and the house exploded, they traced the leak down to the damage to the dryer flex line, and when they found out it was the electrician who hooked it up, they went after him full bore, he wound up loosing everything he had, and even filling bankruptcy he still lost his house his shop and cars, and his insurance was off the hook as it did not cover him doing plumbing, and he didn't have a license to do plumbing.

so even doing something trying to be nice can bit you bad.

I agree with both and the fact that Electrician lost every thing should be enough warning to leave the gas piping to the plumber.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician

When you first mentioned clogging up the pipe I took it as a joke. But then when you justified it as retaliation I couldn't give you the benefit of the doubt anymore.

There's plenty of humorous people here, but you have to know where to draw the line.

220/221

his insurance was off the hook as it did not cover him doing plumbing, and he didn't have a license to do plumbing.

I suspect he had NO insurance. He probably told you that so you'd feel sorry for him.

It was not plumbing, it was appliance installation which is certainly going to be covered. We sometimes have to uninstall/install appliances just to do our job. It's part of the deal.

electricmanscott

I suspect he had NO insurance. He probably told you that so you'd feel sorry for him.

It was not plumbing, it was appliance installation which is certainly going to be covered. We sometimes have to uninstall/install appliances just to do our job. It's part of the deal.

I know for sure appliances damaged when I'm installing them are not covered under my insurance. I always thought it was until I needed it. Of course a little change of wording in my claim took care of the problem.

Check your policy.

glene77is

It is wrong, and that is the main problem with retribution.
You might spread the word that he is hard to get along with.
That would be enough, and IMO suitable.

glene77is

. . . insurance . . .

Right, Hurk,

We are not the carpenters.

Carpenters drop nails.
Painters drop paint.
Plumbers drop water.
Electricians drop sparks !

I would look up the code reference for doing your own work,
but I don't think it is NEC. Thanks.

Last edited:

M4gery

When you first mentioned clogging up the pipe I took it as a joke. But then when you justified it as retaliation I couldn't give you the benefit of the doubt anymore.

There's plenty of humorous people here, but you have to know where to draw the line.

Mind you, this is the same guy who made 4 different threads in a 2 day period in which many, many people replied, but he didn't like the answers so he spit in their faces:

I have probably installed more cans than you in 40 yrs but wanted to get some expert opinions but it didnt happen, I'm back to what I already knew , not a single reply I could use.

Status
Not open for further replies.