2011 Code Changes- Post your favorite and Discuss them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is one that may answer some questions we had over the years.

II. Buildings or Other Structures Supplied by a Feeder(s) or Branch Circuit(s)

225.30 Number of Supplies.

A building or other structure that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load side of a service disconnecting means shall be supplied by only one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (E). For the purpose of this section, a multiwire branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit.

Where a branch circuit or feeder originates in these additional buildings or other structures, only one feeder or branch circuit shall be permitted to supply power back to the original building or structure, unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (E).
For the purpose of this section, a multiwire branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
Is it just me or is it too small to read?

A building or other structure that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load side of a service disconnecting means shall be supplied by only one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (E). For the purpose of this section, a multiwire branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit.

Where a branch circuit or feeder originates in these additional buildings or other structures, only one feeder or branch circuit shall be permitted to supply power back to the original building or structure, unless permitted in 225.30(A) through (E).

For the purpose of this section, a multiwire branch circuit shall be considered a single circuit.

yired29

404.2 Switch Connections.
(C) Switches Controlling Lighting Loads. Where
switches control lighting loads supplied by a grounded general
purpose branch circuit, a grounded circuit conductor
shall be provided at the switch location. [ROP 9-95]

Exception: The grounded circuit conductor shall be permitted
to be omitted from the switch enclosure where either
of the conditions in (1) or (2) apply: [ROP 9-95]

(1) Conductors for switches controlling lighting loads enter
the device box through a raceway. [ROP 9-95]

(2) Cable assemblies for switches controlling lighting enter
the box through a framing cavity that is open at the
top or bottom on the same floor level, or through a
wall, floor, or ceiling that is unfinished on one side.

Not a big change but could cause some in trouble in areas where NM cable is used.

yired29

It looks like there is still a typo in Annex C for THW, THW-2, and THHW for wire sizes 14-8 AWG. For these wire typs and sizes they should be grouped with TW as they are in chapter 9 table 5. This error exists in 05 and 08 as well.

iwire

Staff member
No and yes. :cool:

Interesting because it looks normal size to me on this end.

It depends on your browser settings, many of us have it set to use the font 'as posted' while other have it set to maintain certain font settings.

I like the 'as formatted' option most of the time.

But here is what the code sections look like for me, (most of Charlie Bs post are just as small)

Bigsmall.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The only items you have posted that are small are all the code sections in this thread.

Wherever you are getting them from is formatted small, I imagine a pdf?
Okay good to know-- I will increase the font from the pdf. Interesting I just copied and pasted and the font is the same as what I am typing. Veranda Size 2

A building or other structure
that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load side
of a service disconnecting means shall be supplied by only
one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A)
through (E).

iwire

Staff member
That is better but the code section is actually in Times Roman of unspecified size.

[B][FONT=Times-Bold][FONT=Times-Bold][LEFT][QUOTE][B][FONT=Times-Bold][FONT=Times-Bold]
225.30 Number of Supplies. [/B][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Times-Roman][FONT=Times-Roman]A building or other structure
that is served by a branch circuit or feeder on the load side
of a service disconnecting means shall be supplied by only
one feeder or branch circuit unless permitted in 225.30(A)
through (E).
[/FONT][/FONT][/QUOTE][/B][/FONT][/FONT][/LEFT]

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Has anyone looked in the 2011 NEC at Table 310.15(B)(3)(a) formerly known as 310.15(B)(2)(a). The heading of the Table apparently never got changed but look at the column "Number of Conductors" and its accompanying note.

It appears all the conductors in the raceway will count including the egc.

ry%3D400

Status
Not open for further replies.