Stand off brackets

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetlag

Thanks george

Thanks george

See 310.15(B)(2).

I have never looked at a listing for cable ties, but I did this morning, just for fun.

Nothing there says anything about how many cables can be under a zip tie, or how strong it has to be.

Nothing there, either.

I would let the inspector do the work to prove that the installation was not code compliant, IMO. The method I described is superior to Stack-Its, IMO.

I just roughed a whole house and there is only 1 stack-it on the whole job where I had 3 cables on one side of a stud and couldnt use the other side of the stud because it was under a window. I am just stubborn enough to go back and change it , that way I can see what the inspector does without taking much risk :D

jetlag

thank stevenje

thank stevenje

What a great idea! Thanks George.

You can say that again, reading my original post you can see what trouble I have been going through to avoid the stack-its , I have to drill an extra hole in the plate and an extra hole in the stud to get over to the box . I have never seen the snap ties used that way and I dont believe the AHJ has either. I wll have the code section ready when the inspector comes :)

muskrat

As always, subject to interpretation by AHJ. And watch out for tying too many together i.e. de-rating of conductors because of bundeling of cables. Don't feel like looking it up but its in there.

rt66electric

how many can you bundle together??

how many can you bundle together??

So George: I have never seen your favorite method in use in this area of the woods.

The old-time jockeys would have a Hay-day, ridiculing the fool who tried this method.

I like the idea: slick, quick, and easy, especially when you have six or more wires going to a 3-gang switch. Not so much on a single run.

How many are you allowed to bundle up??

Some inspectors are keen on the "no more than 3 romex in a top plate hole. (and must be foamed) Would they object to 4-or more zip-tied together???

How well do the zip-ties with the custom screw hole work??

Do you use the ultra-cheapo flimsey white ones, or stick with the sturdy black ones??

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
So George: I have never seen your favorite method in use in this area of the woods.

The old-time jockeys would have a Hay-day, ridiculing the fool who tried this method.

Around here, they say the same of the New England SEU Service Mast. :)

I like the idea: slick, quick, and easy, especially when you have six or more wires going to a 3-gang switch. Not so much on a single run.
Agreed, I only use it on three or more cables.

It would be subject to 310.15(B)(2).

Some inspectors are keen on the "no more than 3 romex in a top plate hole. (and must be foamed) Would they object to 4-or more zip-tied together???
How could they - what section would they cite?

(Edit: I am not referring to the fire-stopped hole requirement in 334.80, I'm referring to the cables secured with zip tie.)

How well do the zip-ties with the custom screw hole work??
Not bad, but I prefer the staple and regular zip tie, I don't carry a drill when I'm roughing.

Do you use the ultra-cheapo flimsey white ones, or stick with the sturdy black ones??
I don't know if they're "ultra-cheapo", but I do not use UV-rated ones indoors in installations that are going to be covered with drywall.

The way the guys who've never seen this talk, the houses they wire are craned onto the foundation using the romex, the staples better be good and tight. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
S

Those inspectors need a refresher course in applying derating.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Let them enjoy themselves but they cannot find a rule that disallows it. So who gets the last laugh? :)

You can bundle up to 4 - 2 wire cables together before derating would affect us. The inspectors are incorrectly reading the article about more than 2 nm cables in a hole.

jetlag

Let them enjoy themselves but they cannot find a rule that disallows it. So who gets the last laugh? :)

You can bundle up to 4 - 2 wire cables together before derating would affect us. The inspectors are incorrectly reading the article about more than 2 nm cables in a hole.

Thats the same thing an inspector told me , no more that two cables in a hole , he is completely wrong because from 2 to 4 cables have the same derating to 20 amp on a # 12-2 even if it is a fire chaulked hole

jetlag

thanks leo

thanks leo

I also found a GB staple there 1/2 x1 that states it is rated for 2 #12 or #14 cables . I ran a whole thread on here about that and no one could find where a staple was listed that way . I had to go with "no one is going to pull a staple out to check it ". At least now I can tell the inspector there are metal staples rated for 2 # 12 s , There dont stock them here so I use the 1/2 x 3/4, they hold but are not rated for the number of cables. They have 5/8 by 1 but dont rate those either but the 12 and 14 cables slide around in them to much and try to turn on edge with two cables under the staple .

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I also found a GB staple there 1/2 x1 that states it is rated for 2 #12 or #14 cables . I ran a whole thread on here about that and no one could find where a staple was listed that way . I had to go with "no one is going to pull a staple out to check it ". At least now I can tell the inspector there are metal staples rated for 2 # 12 s , There dont stock them here so I use the 1/2 x 3/4, they hold but are not rated for the number of cables. They have 5/8 by 1 but dont rate those either but the 12 and 14 cables slide around in them to much and try to turn on edge with two cables under the staple .

happy to help out:grin:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

I've been using these:

http://www.brisconelectric.com/STAPLES.htm

The 1/2" X 1 1/2" version is UL listed for two cables.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Im almost finished with another whole house with staples not listed for 2 cables, I need to order some so if inspector asks i can show him the container.

I couldn't find them locally so I contacted the company direct. They sent me to an online supplier Standard Electric, 508.765.1558.

jetlag

thanks infinity

thanks infinity

I couldn't find them locally so I contacted the company direct. They sent me to an online supplier Standard Electric, 508.765.1558.

Everyone around here puts two cables under the same staple , they all use staples not listed for that come from big blue and orange. Do you know the web site for the online supplier ?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Everyone around here puts two cables under the same staple , they all use staples not listed for that come from big blue and orange. Do you know the web site for the online supplier ?

Couldn't find that company online so I just called them using the number they provided. Worked out well. Received the staples in a few days. Left the box right out in the open for the inspector to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.