240v water heater element on 208

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
No code issues, unless the manufacturer's literature specifically states that it is for use only on a 240 volt system. But there is an operational concern. It will operate at 75% efficiency, and will heat water that much slower. The 75% is based on (208/240) squared.

DetroitEE

is there any issue using 240 water heater element on 208 service?

It'll take longer to heat the water ;) that's about the only issue I see.

The heating element is a purely resistive load, so it should draw less current than if there were 240V going to it, proportional to the voltage being supplied (so it will be 208/240 times the current).

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
a 4500 watt element rated at 240 volts is really 3380 watts at 208 Volts. But be careful-- 3380/208= 16.15 amps. IMO you can only go 150% which is 24.375 with OCPD. This means a 25 amp is the max OCPD you can use.
Art.422.11(E)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
a 4500 watt element rated at 240 volts is really 3380 watts at 208 Volts.
That is how it will perform, but the rating did not change. A transformer (480 volt primary) rated for 150 KVA does not become a 75 KVA-rated transformer, just because you choose to supply it with a 100 amp breaker. A 5 HP motor does not become a 3 HP-rated motor, just because you choose to use it to supply a 3HP mechanical load. A heating element rated for 4500 VA at 240 volts is still rated for 4500 VA, even if you choose to supply it with 208 volts, or unless the manufacturer has given it a separate rating at different voltages.

Didn't we do this dance once already, recently? ;)

Besoeker

No code issues, unless the manufacturer's literature specifically states that it is for use only on a 240 volt system. But there is an operational concern. It will operate at 75% efficiency, and will heat water that much slower. The 75% is based on (208/240) squared.
That doesn't make it less efficient.
Efficiency is generally taken as output power/input power.
In this case both input and output will be reduced as the square of the voltage ratio.
Maybe it will be 75% as effective.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
But the key word in the code article is "rating," not "OPErating." I am speaking about a circumstance in which the only rating placed on the item is a 4500 VA rating. I would certainly make the same design decision that you are describing, but I submit that the code, as written, does not require me to do so.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
But the key word in the code article is "rating," not "OPErating." I am speaking about a circumstance in which the only rating placed on the item is a 4500 VA rating. I would certainly make the same design decision that you are describing, but I submit that the code, as written, does not require me to do so.
I would agree the wording may not be there but you asked would I change my tune and I said Nope.....:grin:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
So, every time there's a brown-out or other voltage-reducing event, all of our single-voltage-rated loads become non-compliant. ;)

markstg

Yeah we did, and I still think my way is the right way. :) If the unit stated 208/240 V and 3380/4500 watts would you change your tune?

Just read the nameplate of an electric water heater
240/208V 1phase
4500/3380W (same for both upper and lower elements, non simultaneous operation)

Name that tune.:)

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Another sign of non-simultaneous operation: "Upper element: 4500 watts, Lower element: 4500 watts, Total: 4500 watts."

Status
Not open for further replies.