GFI receptacles by garage door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

There is a requirement for any receptacle that is outside of the house to be GFCI protected by one, and now(08' code) with a bubble cover.

cadpoint

Good Point in a garage GFCI it, if outside a structure GFCI it.

Note that I'm not researching my remarks, if outside of any structure the norm is to GFCI, it is very much the norm and there is no distance placement in respects to the stated question in the orginial OP.

Good catch!

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
By garage door I'm assuming means a garage door opener receptacle? Under the 2005 and earlier NEC versions GFCI protection is not required. Under the 2008 it is, unless you're in NJ where the exception is still part of the code due to a state amendment.

hurk27

I have heard that there are areas in the country that require a GFCI protected outlet on the outside by each exit door of a dwelling, but not a door for vehicles?

I agree with others only thing I can think of is the door opener receptacle, which under the 2008 would have to be GFCI protected.

Or is this a test question?:confused:

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
were in the Nec 2008 codes is the refence for this:-?

:)If you have a 2008 NEC HANDBOOK, you can look at Article 406.8 it can be found on page 502 of the NEC HANDBOOK Read through to page 504.

Allso Look at 210.8 Grond-fault protection in the 2008 NEC HANDBOOK It can be found on page 80 read through all the way to page 86.

In a garage all Receptacles must have GFCI protection by eather a GFCI type circuit breaker or type "TR" GFCI Receptacles.

Now in Your case you have a receptacle near a garage door so it could be looked at as a wet location it depends on the way the home owner uses the garage door ,So lets just say the home owner leaves the garage door open all the time then you can reconmend that they use a type "TR""WR" GFCI recetacle or a type 'WR'TR' Regular receptacle with a GFCI type circuit breaker protection with a bubble cover that can be seen in Article 406.8

Chev

Master Electrician @ Retired
Occupation
Retired Master Electrician, Formerly at Twin Lakes Electric and GMC
Has anyone attempted to run power tools after installing a GFCI in a garage? I had to switch to a non-GFCI outlet to run my radial arm saw, also for a tile saw because the GFCI kept kicking out. Yes it was a new GFCI and I have used it since for other purposes.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
GFCI is on every power pole for temp services. If the gfci trips then there is a good chance there is something wrong with your saw.

iwire

Staff member
Has anyone attempted to run power tools after installing a GFCI in a garage? I had to switch to a non-GFCI outlet to run my radial arm saw, also for a tile saw because the GFCI kept kicking out. Yes it was a new GFCI and I have used it since for other purposes.

Considering that all the cord and plug connected power tools on a construction site function fine with GFCIs I think it is clear that both your tile saw and radial are saw have electrical issues that need to be fixed.

(Sorry Dennis, I posted before I read your post)

Chev

Master Electrician @ Retired
Occupation
Retired Master Electrician, Formerly at Twin Lakes Electric and GMC
Considering that all the cord and plug connected power tools on a construction site function fine with GFCIs I think it is clear that both your tile saw and radial are saw have electrical issues that need to be fixed.

If this were the case wouldn't the saw trip a circuit breaker also?

kwired

Electron manager
If this were the case wouldn't the saw trip a circuit breaker also?

A GFCI and a standard circuit breaker are not looking for the same type of fault, and the level of fault current the GFCI is looking for is very low. Make sure there is no neutral to ground connection within your problem equipment, as this is likely what is causing your problem if it works on non GFCI protected outlet.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Chev, somewhere in the saw there is current going thru the black wire and coming back on the white and the ground. A gfci can detect a 4 ma leakage that a standard breaker will not detect. This is why GFCI are req. by sinks and areas where one has more potential to get shocked.

Iwire said:
not a problem

robert pitre

How close can a receptacle be to gasoline pump?

How close can a receptacle be to gasoline pump?

The kind of pump i am talking about is a (service station) pump or dispenser.
in article 514, If i am 18" away and 18" above grade it ok to installed a receptacle at that point? or 18" above grade and 20' away? or what?:-?

hurk27

I have run into problem with GFCI's in the past with hand tools kicking a GFCI, and it was an inductive kick back problem, but most newer GFCI's are protected from this, except those cheap Menard's ones, they are terrible, almost any inductive load will trip them, so I kind of stick with Levinton.

Status
Not open for further replies.