green wire nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Wago's rock!

I have been experimenting with Ideal's version of the Wago. What I have found is that they can be a bit cantankerous if you have slippery hands while you are trying to push the wire in, BUT they are transparent so you are able to see if you got it in all the way or not.

Are either listed / suitable for making grounding connections?

Only time will tell if push ons are going to be anything more than a fad.

mark32

Technically, until you clip all the wires off the end of the crimp and use the crimper the manufacturer recommends, and install an insulating cap, you have a 110.3 violation. Assuming that's what the instructions call for on the side of the box, which they tend to.

I was surprised to hear/read this but it's true one is suppose to snip off the conductors after installing a crimp.

kwired

Electron manager
Where were you when I got pounded for looping the hot wire to switches , but no one gave a code violating number. I believe it was the post I did about "extra wire at boxes" .

Read the last sentence of 314.16(B)(1)

A conductor, no part of which leaves the box, shall not be counted

To get a little more back on topic read 314.16(B)(5)

Equipment Grounding Conductor Fill. Where one or more equipment grounding conductors or equipment bonding jumpers enter a box, a single volume allowance in accordance with Table 314.16(B) shall be made based on the largest equipment grounding conductor or equipment bonding jumper present in the box. Where an additional set of equipment grounding conductors, as permitted by 250.146(D), is present in the box, an additional volume allowance shall be made based on the largest equipment grounding conductor in the additional set.

You can cram the box full of equipment grounding conductors but you only have to count the largest one just one time.

You can have all the pigtails and jumpers you want and you do not have to count any of them if they do not leave the box.

jetlag

I was surprised to hear/read this but it's true one is suppose to snip off the conductors after installing a crimp.

I dont ubderstand , how do they expect you to connect the conductor to a device , are they saying to use all pigtails and no wire passes through the crimp. they dont care if a conductor passes threough the greenies, what is the difference.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I dont ubderstand , how do they expect you to connect the conductor to a device , are they saying to use all pigtails and no wire passes through the crimp. they dont care if a conductor passes threough the greenies, what is the difference.
The greenie is listed for the pass-through.

No? Okay, how's this:

The greenie has a 1-wire-sized hole, the crimp doesn't. :cool:

(I have been able to fit two 14's through the hole on some.)

lakee911

at the price they charge its a wonder people dont drill their own hole in the end of wire nuts and spray paint them green. :)

I know this was tongue in cheek, but I think it would be tough. Chances are the threaded insert in the plastic cap is hardened and if it could be easily drilled, it might be tough to hold the cap without a vice and that would likely damage it.

I once clipped off the end of some twisted wires and stuck it on the cap and tightened it up. Popped it back in the box, buttoned everything up and turned on the breaker. Pop! Breaker tripped. Opened it up and to find that the sharp tip of the wires had drilled themselves through the end of the plastic cheapo nut (no metal insert) and shorted against the metal box. After that I made sure to not cut the wires at an angle and double check they didn't penetrate the cap.

Jason

jetlag

I know this was tongue in cheek, but I think it would be tough. Chances are the threaded insert in the plastic cap is hardened and if it could be easily drilled, it might be tough to hold the cap without a vice and that would likely damage it.

I once clipped off the end of some twisted wires and stuck it on the cap and tightened it up. Popped it back in the box, buttoned everything up and turned on the breaker. Pop! Breaker tripped. Opened it up and to find that the sharp tip of the wires had drilled themselves through the end of the plastic cheapo nut (no metal insert) and shorted against the metal box. After that I made sure to not cut the wires at an angle and double check they didn't penetrate the cap.

Jason

I dont think one should try to drill the metal insert , you have to use the grey wire nuts , the hole in the metal will pass at least 1 if not 2 #12 . Use a bit that fits easily through the insert , wrap a rag around the wire nut and hold lightly with channel locks . Use variable speed battery drill on low . Line up a dozen or so and spray them green , This post might get cancelled :grin:

jetlag

Isnt that just for hot and neutral because you have to install the rubber cap? If it is for EGC does anyone every get flagged for that ? I have been passing an EGC through the crimp for years . Does every one use a pig tail instead of pass through.

jetlag

I dont think one should try to drill the metal insert , you have to use the grey wire nuts , the hole in the metal will pass at least 1 if not 2 #12 . Use a bit that fits easily through the insert , wrap a rag around the wire nut and hold lightly with channel locks . Use variable speed battery drill on low . Line up a dozen or so and spray them green , This post might get cancelled :grin:

I forgot if you want some green inside your greenies , screw it on a dull pencil so not get paint on the insert and spray .

mark32

Isnt that just for hot and neutral because you have to install the rubber cap? If it is for EGC does anyone every get flagged for that ? I have been passing an EGC through the crimp for years . Does every one use a pig tail instead of pass through.

Hi there, the only time I used crimps were 14 years ago and I can't recall if we passed conductors (EGC's) through the crimp or not. I read the installation instructions yesterday; I can't remember if it specifically stated equipment grounds or not but since the crimps are uninsulated I never thought of using them for anything else. Rubber cap? Never used or seen them.

jetlag

Hi there, the only time I used crimps were 14 years ago and I can't recall if we passed conductors (EGC's) through the crimp or not. I read the installation instructions yesterday; I can't remember if it specifically stated equipment grounds or not but since the crimps are uninsulated I never thought of using them for anything else. Rubber cap? Never used or seen them.

After days of solder and before wire nuts the crimps were used for all conductors for a while. For insulated conductors there was a rubber cap , there was a strap about an inch long with a rubber ring on the end , the ring slid between the conductors and back out to hold the cap on . Maybe some one has a photo to post. If im not mistaken you can still use those

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Obviously "everyone" doesn't, because several people (myself included) have already chimed in saying that we use them for pass through. What I am saying is that the only reason that the supply house doesn't even bother to stock the caps anymore, and the reason why electricians continue to do it, is because it is convenient, safe, and the inspector in the field doesn't choose to fail it.

Does it really have to be more complicated than that?

kwired

Electron manager
Obviously "everyone" doesn't, because several people (myself included) have already chimed in saying that we use them for pass through. What I am saying is that the only reason that the supply house doesn't even bother to stock the caps anymore, and the reason why electricians continue to do it, is because it is convenient, safe, and the inspector in the field doesn't choose to fail it.

Does it really have to be more complicated than that?

you have to paint them green but that is all:grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.