scissor lift

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Fall protection rules kick in at 6 ft under our state rules. Put on the harness anytime in lift.

Just to be clear OSHA fall protection rules are satisfied by the railings on a scissor lift.

If Washington St. requires it that is above and beyond Federal requirements.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just to be clear OSHA fall protection rules are satisfied by the railings on a scissor lift.

If Washington St. requires it that is above and beyond Federal requirements.

Agreed, the railings on scissor lifts remove any harness requirements. I've seen GC's require harnesses on 8' ladders so there are rules that are more stringent than OSHA's out there.

WorkSafe

We require it regardless of railings. All to often we catch electricians or plumbers standing on the top rails. By the way, OSHA considers scissors lifts in the same category as scaffolds.

iwire

Staff member
We require it regardless of railings. All to often we catch electricians or plumbers standing on the top rails.

Yeah, punish everyone for the actions of a few .... perfect. :roll:

How about just firing those that cannot follow the rules?

By the way, OSHA considers scissors lifts in the same category as scaffolds.

It sure does and that one is a hard one to get people to believe.

renosteinke

Lest I mention the obvious ....

Scissor lifts are different from boom lifts. Scissor lifts do not require harnesses, while theuse of harnesses isrequired on boom lifts.

WorkSafe

Yeah, punish everyone for the actions of a few .... perfect. :roll:

How about just firing those that cannot follow the rules?

It sure does and that one is a hard one to get people to believe.

I totally agree with you, but you have to remember, I work for the government where you would literally have to kill someone to get fired.

jumper

You bet I have that does not change my perspective on holding people responsible for their own actions.

Again I agree, but now for a second question?

What do you find more effective:

Warning someone that he/she will be fired if he/she breaks the safety rules.

Or.

Teaching someone that needless bravado/stupidity can only work to his/her personal safety disadvantage.

I try and explain to people that I/we get paid the same amount to safe/legal as I/we do to be unsafe/illegal. I find it very effective.

When someone asks me if I ever broke the rules, I say: Yes, I was stupid.

iwire

Staff member
Of course you try reason first but as often the case no one will actually listen until they see some punishment dolled out.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
name how many jobs you where on that would satisfy osha in every aspect, none! I am not saying it is right, but just sayin

wtucker

Back to the original question, as others have noted, OSHA regulates scissors lifts as scaffolds, and has separate regulations on boom lifts. OSHA's view is that one can easily be catapulted out of a boom lift (although Mythbusters showed that that's pretty hard to do). That won't happen in scissors lifts.

Some GC's and owners require harnesses on those in scissors lifts in case the workers are inclined to climb on the railings. And, most scissors lift manufacturers (check their manual) recommend that users use harnesses. BUT the harnesses can't be connected to the railing. OSHA's scaffold standard forbids it, and the manufacturer usually provides attachment points--at pretty inconvenient locations.

Why not get to the root of the problem? The reason folks stand on the railings is that the scissors lift won't fit between the joists or mechanicals, and putting stepladders on scaffolds is forbidden, too. Maybe the solution is a smaller scissors lift or a trestle ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.