You Make The Call

Learn the NEC with Mike Holt now!

You Make The Call

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

George, your idea to keep water out is good. Why not just use plastic box and then your install would pass. Or if you want steel then strip it and put silicon on it to keep water out.
We will assume the inspector did not cut you any slack. Give him what he wants.

Jim W in Tampa

In the current issue of Electrical Contractor there is a question about romex in exterior receptacle and light boxes. They say it is not allowed.

It has been done for more years than i care to remember and have never seen a problem from it or got a tag. It is in the same dry wall that the one faceing inside is in. After the weather proof in use cover is installed it is not damp. There is the issue of it being unprotected till trim time such as picture George posted. There is nothing broke here to fix. But that is my opinion and they can have theres.

One-eyed Jack

OK for the sake of argument what is the inspector even looking for at this box?

41d74f8f.jpg

IMO without the grounds made up there is nothing to inspect. :confused:
That is a good point. If there is nothing to inspect he must not be ready for a rough-in. As pointed out earlier on a rough-in all that will be covered up must be visible and ready for inspection. I have no intention of removing devices on a final inspection unless I am suspicious of non-compliance. If I see insulation debris from a fixture on the floor,which I have on occasion I will take a fixture down. Guess what I find!!!! Don't make me take it apart on a final. Make it easy on yourself and have it ready for a rough-in. It is a lot easier to clean up on rough than on trim out. GC or owner is not so picky about a piece left here and there on an unfinished floor.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
In the current issue of Electrical Contractor there is a question about romex in exterior receptacle and light boxes. They say it is not allowed.
I noticed that too and sent Mr. Trout an e-mail asking for clarification, he replied that the box recessed in the wall was not what he was talking about, only exterior wiring (I assume to include surface mounted bell boxes?)

benaround

What does the location have to do with the wire?

You asked about the wire getting damp in reply to violations, correct ? As I'm sure you

know, a location classified as dry maybe temporarily subject to 'dampness' or 'wetness'; as

in the case of a building under construction.

The building in George's picture is under construction.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
You asked about the wire getting damp in reply to violations, correct ? As I'm sure you

know, a location classified as dry maybe temporarily subject to 'dampness' or 'wetness'; as

in the case of a building under construction.

The building in George's picture is under construction.

Under construction does not give us permission to expose NM to 'water'.

Here in Ohio if you run NM in a home and it gets wet the inspector will make you remove it.

Volta

So are we now going to say the inside of a 3r panel is WET ? I hope not or i wasted my money

No, they were trying to make that case for a minute but you and I (and some others :roll:) know better than that. Exterior raceways considered wet, enclosures dry (above the typical low side entries).

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
OK, I read 5 pages of comments, and didn't see this question, but I am ready for bed so I apologize if it was asked in pages 5-last.

Are those drywall screws holding that box to the siding? The reason I ask is because I have found covers most difficult to install properly due to the screws protruding out.

benaround

Under construction does not give us permission to expose NM to 'water'.

Here in Ohio if you run NM in a home and it gets wet the inspector will make you remove it.

I am going by the NEC not what they do in Ohio. Do they also inspect all the NM that is

kept in the back of pick-up trucks that gets rained on ?

The dampness and wetness discribed in the NEC is due to 'water' as I read it.

electricmanscott

Here is the most recent, and here is what I think is the beginning of this recent discussion.

Those are not the questions from Electrical Contractor Magazine that I referenced.

Here is the text and the link

http://www.ecmag.com/index.cfm?fa=article&articleID=11348
NM cable for outside lights Can I use NM cable to feed the outside lights and receptacles in a dwelling unit?

No, Section 300.9 was added to the 2008 NEC, and it specifically shows that the interiors of raceways and enclosures installed in above-grade wet locations are considered to be wet locations and require conductors suitable for use in wet locations in accordance with 310.8. NEC 34.12 does not permit Type NM cable to be used in a wet or damp location.

Status
Not open for further replies.