Keyboard glare

Status
Not open for further replies.

DetroitEE

Is there any 2x2 lay in fluorescent light that will reduce glare on keyboards in a computer room?

Parabolics were used in the past in high computer use environments. Typically we now use some type of recessed or pendant mounted direct/indirect. Lithonia Avante (recessed center basket direct/indirect) seems to be becoming a standard for office environments. I believe the cost has come down signficantly, as many manufacturers make this style fixture now.

stevebea

Parabolics were used in the past in high computer use environments. Typically we now use some type of recessed or pendant mounted direct/indirect. Lithonia Avante (recessed center basket direct/indirect) seems to be becoming a standard for office environments. I believe the cost has come down signficantly, as many manufacturers make this style fixture now.

Ruud lighting manufactures direct/indirect linear lighting at about half the cost of Lithonia. The flip side is less choices as far as fixture styles and finishes but overall a good value.

dbuckley

Glare is the result of light falling at an angle being reflected into the eyes.

Anywhere a computer is used with fluoro lighting then they should have baffles that limit the light to travelling downwards.

Some info on this class of luminares can be found here (PDF).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
The place I worked about 20+ years ago installed diffusers in the fixtures that dramatically reduced glare in the offices when we started getting computers and terminals in each office.

If they were available 20+ years ago, I bet they still are.

Ruud lighting manufactures direct/indirect linear lighting at about half the cost of Lithonia. The flip side is less choices as far as fixture styles and finishes but overall a good value.

if I remember correctly they stopped offering troffers. I think they told me it was b/c they weren't the manufacturer and the volume wasnt there. They do have a few linear indirect fixtures (meant to be hung on pendants, cables etc) but not much in the way of direct/indirect - if you needed more down-light.

Status
Not open for further replies.