Service call New Electric dryer How much

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
The phone rings and on the other end is the customer.
The question is, I just baught a new/old house and a new Electric dryer and the plug does not fit:cool:.

The average House around here is $500,000.00,. The most likely thing is you will have to change the recptacle Because the new cord cap does not fit the old one 3 prong veres 4 prong receptacle .so you have a three wire 2 hots a neutral and a ground. How much would you charge to just change the receptacle my minimum service charge is $160 plus the receptacle If the house is more than 50 years old you have 2 hots a neutral and no ground then you would have to run a new line at an aditional charge.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How much would you charge to just change the receptacle my minimum service charge is $160 plus the receptacle
I wouldn't. The correct installation is to change the plug'n'cord and the dryer's bonding connection to match the existing receptacle and its circuit (presuming they're correct.)

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
I wouldn't. The correct installation is to change the plug'n'cord and the dryer's bonding connection to match the existing receptacle and its circuit (presuming they're correct.)

Are saying change the cord "n"cap to mach the receptacle?

LEO2854

Esteemed Member

Would it not be better to have the 4 prong receptacle with the 3wire 2 hots 1 neutral 1 ground going strait back to the panel?

iwire

Staff member
Look at the exception.

250.140 Frames of Ranges and Clothes Dryers. Frames
of electric ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted
cooking units, clothes dryers, and outlet or junction boxes
that are part of the circuit for these appliances shall be
connected to the equipment grounding conductor in the
manner specified by 250.134 or 250.138.

Exception: For existing branch-circuit installations only
where an equipment grounding conductor is not present in
the outlet or junction box, the frames of electric ranges,
wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units,
clothes dryers, and outlet or junction boxes that are part of
the circuit for these appliances shall be permitted to be
connected to the grounded circuit conductor if all the following
conditions are met.

(1) The supply circuit is 120/240-volt, single-phase,
3-wire; or 208Y/120-volt derived from a 3-phase,
4-wire, wye-connected system.

(2) The grounded conductor is not smaller than 10 AWG
copper or 8 AWG aluminum.

(3) The grounded conductor is insulated, or the grounded
conductor is uninsulated and part of a Type SE serviceentrance
cable and the branch circuit originates at the
service equipment.

(4) Grounding contacts of receptacles furnished as part of
the equipment are bonded to the equipment.

nhfire77

I agree, worrying about a potential meeting with the board is a bit parnoid.

I sleep soundly with two things: 1. Faith in my ability, 2. A business umbrella policy if the first one fails me :)

Electricmanscott never implied he would violate and rule or law.

I personally would avoid such a contract, but would not turn down work if I needed it.

kwired

Electron manager
Would it not be better to have the 4 prong receptacle with the 3wire 2 hots 1 neutral 1 ground going strait back to the panel?

Yes it would be better but the exception iwire mentions does give you the option to just put on a three wire cord. If it is really easy to make it a 4 wire circuit I would do it, if not I would likely just replace the cord and install the bonding jumper.

As far as how much to charge - charge what you would any other service call.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Exception: For existing branch-circuit installations only
where an equipment grounding conductor is not present in
the outlet or junction box, the frames of electric ranges,
wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units,
clothes dryers, and outlet or junction boxes that are part of
the circuit for these appliances shall be permitted to be
connected to the grounded circuit conductor if all the following
conditions are met.
The exception say outlet OR junction box. I would argue that if the ground wire was present I would match the cord on the new appliance. If this is a sub panel I would also argue that the nuetral not be tied to the ground. This is the start of EMF and nuetral curents. not a good Ideal Not only is the newer method better but a easy fix in most cases. In fact the time a receptacle is usually cheaper than the cord. Changing the cord may take just as long or longer.

satcom

Bob you don't even own an EC business, and if your boss allows you to price this way, then shame on him or her.
So do you base your prices on one's sex, race or creed also?

Something i learned from my wife when i wanted to target price, she said just about every smart business targets their market to wealth areas, they even pay billions every year just to capture lists of targeted wealth areas.

iwire

Staff member
Bob you don't even own an EC business, and if your boss allows you to price this way, then shame on him or her.
So do you base your prices on one's sex, race or creed also?

Yes of course I do, if they are pretty they get cheap rates, if they are not I charge more. :roll::mad:

Don't be a tool, of course I do not base the pricing on the persons sex, religion or anything like that.

But I will certainly consider the customers wealth.

To even suggest that businesses do not consider their customers ability to pay is ridiculous.

Or do you think Bentley markets their cars as much to those living frugally as to those with a lot of money?

growler

The average House around here is $500,000.00,. my minimum service charge is $160 plus the receptacle

Leo, what does this have to do with your pricing?
Are you basing your prices on your perceptions?
If they have money.
Nice cars in the driveway.
A women
By race.

If everyone will read what Leo said it does make more sense. He says that the average cost of a house in that area is around $500K.

This is in no way looking at the individual but at the cost of operating in a high rent area.

He then says that his cost minimum for a service call is $160.00.

If it were really possible to live in the cheapest part of the country and charge the same rates as in higher income areas then it would be very dumb to live in an area where all your cost to include labor are higher just to work for the same money as those that were smart enough to live in a low income area.

High income areas normally come with higher cost for everything. There is probably some electrician in China doing a sevice call for $5 bucks and living like a King.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would argue that if the ground wire was present I would match the cord on the new appliance.
Yes, but, if the EGC is present, the receptacle should already be a 4-wire one.

In fact the time a receptacle is usually cheaper than the cord. Changing the cord may take just as long or longer.
Maybe, but again, the receptacle should be matched to the circuit, and the plug and cord should be matched to the receptacle.

I've never seen a case where there is an option. An existing circuit contains the conductors it contains, and that's what we have to work with.

I agree that the 4-wire circuit is preferable, but one should never install a 4-wire receptacle on a 3-wire circuit, or vice versa.

jmsbrush

Yes of course I do, if they are pretty they get cheap rates, if they are not I charge more. :roll::mad:

Don't be a tool, of course I do not base the pricing on the persons sex, religion or anything like that.

But I will certainly consider the customers wealth.

To even suggest that businesses do not consider their customers ability to pay is ridiculous.

Or do you think Bentley markets their cars as much to those living frugally as to those with a lot of money?

There is nothing wrong targeting customers that have money. Of course you want customers that have money. We target these type of customers as well. This was not not my debate.
My debate was, our pricing will not go up or down on our perception of what people have or own.
Our pricing is the same if you own a $80,000.00 home or a $2,000,000.00 home.
Our pricing is considered high to some, but all pay the same.

electricmanscott

There is nothing wrong targeting customers that have money. Of course you want customers that have money. We target these type of customers as well. This was not not my debate.
My debate was, our pricing will not go up or down on our perception of what people have or own.
Our pricing is the same if you own a $80,000.00 home or a $2,000,000.00 home.
Our pricing is considered high to some, but all pay the same.

Good for you. ;)

My pricing will vary based on my mood, the customers attitude and where they live.

Status
Not open for further replies.