Service call New Electric dryer How much

Status
Not open for further replies.

nhfire77

Why?

Mike said it well here.

Being elderly does not mean you are poor or stupid.

No, but when it is obvious they are poor, and there is a safety issue, and they can barely get around, I will be helpful.

I am referring to small stuff. A resi service change is not getting a big discount.

I do not think the elderly are stupid, but you know when they have no family. Its obvious.

iwire

Staff member
No, but when it is obvious they are poor, and there is a safety issue, and they can barely get around, I will be helpful.

To me that is a different issue, that is helping those in need and I can get behind that when it is my money to play with.

However the question was about the 'elderly' and that is a sore spot with me as many elderly are much sharper and better off than the young so to generalize the elderly as 'easily fooled' or 'poor' makes no sense at all.

kwired

Electron manager
Contracting is not like most other businesses and as such you can't compare ones method of operation to another. You can't go into the grocery store and haggle over a gallon of milk. Yet most people feel it perfectly normal to haggle with contractors. Why that is I have no idea but it's just the way it is.

You can go to the grocery store and haggle over a gallon of milk, the store does not have to choose to lower their price. A contractor does not have to choose to lower his price either. Both the grocery store and contractor are at risk of losing a sale by doing so. The grocery store is at less risk of losing a sale because the customer will have a hard time getting other stores to lower their price also. The contractor is at a higher risk of losing the sale because there is likely someone out there that will do the job for less.

The contractor has to decide if less profit is worth having the job or not.

I worked in grocery stores as a kid and college student - there are people out there that will haggle sometimes especially over an amount that they feel is wrong or mis marked or mis advertised, then there are others that you could add an extra 25% to their total sale and they would not notice or care. The latter are the ones that are good customers for contractors also.

wptski

Do you think that is fair of you to even try to put up to answering this question? How about this- does the city where the "elderly person" live give them a break on the property taxes? Or does the nursing home make it cheaper for the elderly customers? Do they get discounts on postage stamps from the US postal service? Is the gas they put in their car cheaper due to their advanced years? How about their electrical bill? Or heating charges? Why must electricians be different than all the ones I just mentioned? Are we known as "A bunch of nice guys" or something? (I can't tell from all the whining I hear when I give "younger" customers the billings....:mad:
This is about charging more because the people can afford it, so the question is do you charge less when they can't. Everything you mention isn't on a individual basis where the price can't be lowered.

macmikeman

This is about charging more because the people can afford it, so the question is do you charge less when they can't. Everything you mention isn't on a individual basis where the price can't be lowered.

Why? If it is expected of EC's, surely it can be expected of the other services and goods since they are better footed financially. Want to know the evil dark truth? They do not even pause to take anything you suggest into account. You are attempting to hold a higher standard for EC's than you would have provided yourself as an hourly wage earner, go look again at my suggestion about making the workers foot the bill. I bet you would not have been too down with the boss's cutting the expense of elderly discounts out of your paycheck in order to balance the books, yet you do not hesitate to expect him to foot the expense you feel is his duty... Reminds me of how politicians are so good with other peoples money when it comes to charity... Peace on you brother, look inside before looking outside. And don't forget Habilitat loves volunteer services from retired tradesmen. They help the elderly.

nhfire77

However the question was about the 'elderly' and that is a sore spot with me as many elderly are much sharper and better off than the young so to generalize the elderly as 'easily fooled' or 'poor' makes no sense at all.

I would never label them as that. I'm talking about doing the right thing, not discounts on age alone. Some are down and deserve it.

iwire

Staff member

All prices can be lowered if the person calling the shots wants to.

jmsbrush

To me that is a different issue, that is helping those in need and I can get behind that when it is my money to play with.

Bob I could not agree with you more on your last statement.
I got hammered somewhere else for making a comment like that lol.
My grandmother is very old and well off, but her mind is as sharp as a tack.

wptski

Why? If it is expected of EC's, surely it can be expected of the other services and goods since they are better footed financially. Want to know the evil dark truth? They do not even pause to take anything you suggest into account. You are attempting to hold a higher standard for EC's than you would have provided yourself as an hourly wage earner, go look again at my suggestion about making the workers foot the bill. I bet you would not have been too down with the boss's cutting the expense of elderly discounts out of your paycheck in order to balance the books, yet you do not hesitate to expect him to foot the expense you feel is his duty... Reminds me of how politicians are so good with other peoples money when it comes to charity... Peace on you brother, look inside before looking outside. And don't forget Habilitat loves volunteer services from retired tradesmen. They help the elderly.
I didn't start this thread! The OP was asking if they should charge more because it's a expensive home, ssssssssssssoooooooooo the question in my mind is, does the OP go the other way also or is it just one sided?

I'm not picking on EC's only as I pick on HVAC's as well but this hasn't come up in HVAC forums. I'm not a EC just a retired HO.

iwire

Staff member
I can ask for a special pricing at my local corner gas station?

Yes, you can ask, you would have to ask the owner not the flunky. Just like our customers do not ask our helpers about pricing.

But lets talk about BestBuy, I put up a stink at one of them over some problems and the manger let me out the door with a $250 VCR for 1 penny. Rang it up at $0.01 and I got a receipt

I went to HD, found a charcoal grill with a dented top, asked for 50% off and they gave it to me.

Any price is negotiable if you find the right person to talk to and you are not afraid to ask.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Customer to Electrician: How much will a new 200 amp service cost me?

Electrician: That will cost you every dime you've got.

Customer: How about a new 100 amp service for every nickle I've got, instead?

Electrician: Let's compromise, How about 500 dollars PLUS every nickle you've got?

Customer: Can I pay the 500 dollars first?

Electrician: It's a deal!

electricmanscott

But lets talk about BestBuy, I put up a stink at one of them over some problems and the manger let me out the door with a $250 VCR for 1 penny. Rang it up at $0.01 and I got a receipt

I went to HD, found a charcoal grill with a dented top, asked for 50% off and .

Well yeah because it was last Tuesday and they hadn't sold a VCR in like 8 years. You should go back and get a deal on a walkman. :D

I haggle at Best Buy. Pretty easy to get 10% off just by asking.

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
Yes, you can ask, you would have to ask the owner not the flunky. Just like our customers do not ask our helpers about pricing.

I went to HD, found a charcoal grill with a dented top, asked for 50% off and they gave it to me.

Any price is negotiable if you find the right person to talk to and you are not afraid to ask.

I once got a gas cap for a Yugo. The store manager wanted the Yugo and four bucks, but I haggled him down.

Jlarson

So is that the bob badger shopping philosophy, go around looking for scratched and dented stuff and try to get it cheaper?

K8MHZ

Occupation
Electrician
So is that the bob badger shopping philosophy, go around looking for scratched and dented stuff and try to get it cheaper?

To Bob's defense.....

I got the local Wal-Mart store to sell me a 120 dollar DVD player for 50 bucks. They screwed up an ad about a DVD player that was supposed to play MP3s and it didn't. The cheapest one that did was a 120 dollar Sanyo and they gave me that for the 50 bucks after I crabbed about it.

So yes, it is possible to get discounts at virtually any store if you ask. It may not always work, but it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.