confused

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpy11

now im am confused this 2005 nec
i got some inspector telling me that
two wire ac cable bx installed into a 1900 box with a single adapter cover
that my recp must have a egc from rec to box even though i am using a self grounding recp

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Inspector is incorrect since you have a grounded box and a self-grounding receptacle.

grumpy11

cofused

cofused

cell phone was broken up with inspector . nice guy the inspectoir but some times i wonder what code he is reading.
it is my undrstanding you do not need a bonding wire from a self grounding rec to the box if using ac cable.
now i may agree with him on the gfi but it can be installed if you mark it on the plate some how that there is no egc

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
cell phone was broken up with inspector . nice guy the inspectoir but some times i wonder what code he is reading.
it is my undrstanding you do not need a bonding wire from a self grounding rec to the box if using ac cable.
now i may agree with him on the gfi but it can be installed if you mark it on the plate some how that there is no egc

A GFCI receptacle would require a bonding jumper to a grounded box if the device is not listed as self-grounding.

grumpy11

confused

could there be a little misunderstanding on the right NEMA mumber for a self grounding outlet. is ther a specical NEMA number.

SEO

1900 box with a single adapter cover

What is a single adapter cover? If your receptacle is cover-mounted you will have to install an equipment bonding jumper from the box to the receptacle unless the box and cover combination are listed as providing satisfactory ground continuity between the box and receptacle . 250.146 (A)

Last edited:

DARUSA

What is a single adapter cover? If your receptacle is cover-mounted you will have to install an equipment bonding jumper from the box to the receptacle unless the box and cover combination are listed as providing satisfactory ground continuity between the box and receptacle . 250.146 (A)

It is a single gang adapter or raiser cover.

DARUSA

250.146 B) Contact Devices or Yokes. Contact devices or yokes designed and listed as self-grounding shall be permitted in conjunction with the supporting screws to establish the grounding circuit between the device yoke and flush-type boxes. ( not bonding jumper is required)

A receptacle designed with a listed spring-type grounding strap. The
strap that holds the mounting screw captive establishes a grounding circuit and
eliminates the need to provide a wire-type equipment bonding jumper to the box, in accordance with 250.146(B).

Jim W in Tampa

250.146 B) Contact Devices or Yokes. Contact devices or yokes designed and listed as self-grounding shall be permitted in conjunction with the supporting screws to establish the grounding circuit between the device yoke and flush-type boxes. ( not bonding jumper is required)

A receptacle designed with a listed spring-type grounding strap. The
strap that holds the mounting screw captive establishes a grounding circuit and
eliminates the need to provide a wire-type equipment bonding jumper to the box, in accordance with 250.146(B).

Yes and if he was using a one piece box it is fine but here he seems to be mounting it to a P ring or raised cover.

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Are we talking about a raised cover ? If so i agree with inspector. Not sure of code number but i see the hazard if cover came loose

the raised would not be count because the 8/32 screws are not threded through cover to the to the box
so even if it was a self grounding receptacle you need the grounding jumper:roll:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
You guys aren't paying attention. This is correct:

If your receptacle is cover-mounted you will have to install an equipment bonding jumper from the box to the receptacle unless the box and cover combination are listed as providing satisfactory ground continuity between the box and receptacle. 250.146(A)

iwire

Staff member

250.146(A) is not the right code section for self grounding devices.

Look at 250.146(B)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Since this is a 1900 box even on a surface mounted style cover (dimpled corners) a bonding jupmer is not required.

SEO

250.146(A) is not the right code section for self grounding devices.

Look at 250.146(B)

I agree but I said if the receptacle was cover mounted 250.146(A) would apply. I have never heard a plaster ring called a single adapter cover in which case 250.146(B) would address the self-grounding device.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree but I said if the receptacle was cover mounted 250.146(A) would apply. I have never heard a plaster ring called a single adapter cover in which case 250.146(B) would address the self-grounding device.

We call plaster rings "adapter covers". Must be a regional thing. Steel city calls them Devices Covers.

Status
Not open for further replies.