switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

sleepy

i am trying to find in the code where it states the distance a switch can be located away from a tub
any help
thanks as always

sleepy

switches

i see 404.4, thanks, but i thought somewhere it stated a distance. i thought it was 6 feet.
thanks again

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
i am trying to find in the code where it states the distance a switch can be located away from a tub
any help
thanks as always

If your talking about the Emergency switch for a hot tub look at 680.41 on page 1049 NEC 2008 HANDBOOK.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yup, for a bathtub you only need the width of say one electron separating the switch from the tub's edge. ;)

jetlag

Yup, for a bathtub you only need the width of say one electron separating the switch from the tub's edge. ;)

I wonder if there is a code against flush mounting it in the tub encloser , or mounting it above the tub in the wall so if you forget to lock the door and someone comes in you can hit the switch untill you can close the shower door :grin::grin:

Jim W in Tampa

It actually is, IMO given all other factors.

OK , please tell us how. If anything i think its less safe to be in a steel tub full of water. If codes are followed you will not be able to touch anything in a hot tub.

As to who writes the codes , that is simple, the salesmen of electrical equipment. What better way to sell your stuff than force us to buy it.
Just another branch of corrupted government. Will it ever change ? Not likely.

Jim W in Tampa

Whirlypools and hot tubs and such have grounding & bonding requirements. Your run-of-the-mill bath tubs and showers don't.

And just how does that change anything ? Most hot tubs are fiberglass and if anything is an insulator. If you somehow touch live electric while in a bath tub your very likely dead unless you have a working gfi.
Neither is safe with electric in reach

480sparky

And just how does that change anything ? Most hot tubs are fiberglass and if anything is an insulator. If you somehow touch live electric while in a bath tub your very likely dead unless you have a working gfi.
Neither is safe with electric in reach

MOST tubs may be fiberglass, but I'm still a believer of cast iron, so that's what I have. But there's no bonding and/or grounding of my cast iron tub, is there? So I have NO additional protection against shock.

But I put in a whirlypool, and it's GFCI protected, and it's bonded, and all this other stuff that my cast iron tub doesn't. So if you're saying all this additional stuff doesn't protect me, why is it all required?

Jim W in Tampa

MOST tubs may be fiberglass, but I'm still a believer of cast iron, so that's what I have. But there's no bonding and/or grounding of my cast iron tub, is there? So I have NO additional protection against shock.

But I put in a whirlypool, and it's GFCI protected, and it's bonded, and all this other stuff that my cast iron tub doesn't. So if you're saying all this additional stuff doesn't protect me, why is it all required?

I am simply saying a normal cast iron bath tub is not safe. Why NEC allows electric near it is what i question.
Yes your hot tub by far is about as safe as we can get.

Jim W in Tampa

Jim it has more to do with the chemicals in the water of a hot tub. This makes it more conductive.
Will agree the PH is likely bit differant. As far as conductive i rather dought that will change much in getting shocked. If you are so much as standing on a wet floor your already set up for a bad shock. That is why we want them outdoors.
Don't get me wrong here ,i very much believe in gfi protection.
The logic between bath tubs/showers to me is stupid. Allowing a receptacle next to one is just asking for troubles. NEC has come a long ways in making us safer around water but still has long way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.