GFCI for refrigerator

Status
Not open for further replies.

480sparky

No exception just that there is no requirement to install them below countertops.

210.52(C)(1 & 5)

We are still installing recpts for wall space. Placement is described differently.

210.52(C) is for above c'tops. There's still a wall below the c'top.

Is it not a wall, even thought it's below a c'top? What about wall spaces below upper cabinets? Is there an exception for those too?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
210.52(C) is for above c'tops. There's still a wall below the c'top.

Is it not a wall, even thought it's below a c'top? What about wall spaces below upper cabinets? Is there an exception for those too?

Cabinets are not mentioned. Just wall space.

I agree that a wall is under a countertop in some cases. The NEC does not require us to place any recpts on (in) that wall space.

480sparky

Dishwasher NO. If under a countertop.

What does the countertop have to do with the fact that it's a wall space? According to 210.52(A)(2)(1), it's a 24" wall in the kitchen, therefore it needs a receptacle. Right?

I mean sometimes a wall is present and sometimes not.

Well, even I can tell it's gonna be difficult to install a wall outlet when there's no wall. But not many kitchen appliances are installed against nothing.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
What does the countertop have to do with the fact that it's a wall space? According to 210.52(A)(2)(1), it's a 24" wall in the kitchen, therefore it needs a receptacle. Right?

IMHO 210.52(A) is trumped by the more specific (C).

Well, even I can tell it's gonna be difficult to install a wall outlet when there's no wall. But not many kitchen appliances are installed against nothing.

You do not need a wall outlet if no wall is present. (C)(1).
Never seen a cabinet on a peninsular? 1/4 ply on the back.

480sparky

Not per the NEC.

Why?
HoltBlueDot.jpg

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
But not where the DW sits. Why not?

It is under the countertop.

210.50 refers to 210.52 -.63.

I see nothing about under counter recpts there.

I guess they thought all countertops would have cabinets under them so they did not address the 'space' under countertops. Only the space above the counter.

Ranges and frigs are not under a counter but on a wall space.

Status
Not open for further replies.