What is SOW-A Cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
SOW-A is reel and pendant cable.

The 'A' indicates that it is suitable for flexible use.

"ARTICLE 400 Flexible Cords and Cables"

"Table 400.4 Flexible Cords and Cables"

These titles appear to indicate everything covered by that chapter is flexible.

I would think the 'A' has some other meaning.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
"ARTICLE 400 Flexible Cords and Cables"

"Table 400.4 Flexible Cords and Cables"

These titles appear to indicate everything covered by that chapter is flexible.

I would think the 'A' has some other meaning.

The A indicates that it is special use cable and suitable for repeated flexible use. SOW with the A indicator is called reel and pendant cable.

It is used for cranes and lifts where the cable has to be constantly on the move. I had to use some in a manlift I fixed years ago.

In radio, the A means flexible. RG-58U has a solid center whereas RG-58 UA has fine stranded wire for the center conductor.

If I find something official, I'll post it.

Last edited:

jerryalan

Occupation
electrician
Sow-a

Sow-a

i found this earlier today;
Pendant and Reel Control Cable is designed and manufactured for use in continuous flexing applications where flame, abrasion, chemicals, moisture, impact, tearing, and temperature extremes are considerations. Applications include portable control, festoon systems, power tracks, cable tenders, cranes and hoists, aerotracks, power carriage systems, cable reels, retractable reels, automatic welders, transfer vehicles, and other abusive flexing applications. Cables are suitable for use indoors or outdoors.

http://customcable.thomasnet.com/viewitems/control-cable/pendent-and-reel-cable-type-sow-a-90-c-600v

al

The A indicates that it is special use cable and suitable for repeated flexible use. SOW with the A indicator is called reel and pendant cable.

It is used for cranes and lifts where the cable has to be constantly on the move. I had to use some in a manlift I fixed years ago.

In radio, the A means flexible. RG-58U has a solid center whereas RG-58 UA has fine stranded wire for the center conductor.

I am wondering where this comes from. If you look here:
http://www.ul.com/global/documents/...ctrical/newsletters/W&CMG_April2007_Final.pdf

you not find a reference to -A

Status
Not open for further replies.