Hard Wire for Dish Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I hope this doesn't appear that I'm changing subjects/threads but since the DW space was mentioned, I will ask. In my area DW are not allowed cord connected. All of the ones that I have replaced just have about 3' of NM run through the wall or floor and laying loose on the floor. How do you guys plan/rough/wire for a hard wired DW? Is the loose NM allowed? Or does it need to be MC or other armored cable?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Actually, this post was a change of subject from that of the original thread. So I moved it to a thread of its own.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Well, our area allows a loose nm with a floating sw. box under the dw. Many of the fancier dw's that I install do not have room underneath so I install a switch box under the sink with a tail out to the dw. You can sleeve the nm in carflex if you like but it is not necessary.

Some brands come with a cord and plug so I hope your inspections allow those as they are UL listed that way. If I get one with a cord and plug then the switch box under the sink becomes a receptacle and I disconnect the wire that goes to where the dw would be. If it is direct wire then I install the switch there.

This setup allows for either install and that's why I do it. I don't like floating a switch under the dw.

RICK NAPIER

If your inspector is using the NEC than they should permit cord and plug attachments for a dishwasher provided the manufacturer allows it and the cord set is supplied by that manufacturer for that dishwasher. The following is from the UL listing for home dishwashers.

"Some permanently connected type dishwashers may be converted to cord connection by means of a cord kit that is available from the manufacturer of the dishwasher."

Last edited:

RICK NAPIER

Tom an appliance cord other than the one made by the dishwasher manufacturer would violate NEC 110.3(B) since the UL listing for this appliance specifically states that the cord assembly must come from the dishwasher manufacturer.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Tom an appliance cord other than the one made by the dishwasher manufacturer would violate NEC 110.3(B) since the UL listing for this appliance specifically states that the cord assembly must come from the dishwasher manufacturer.

Wow...I've been doing it wrong for a long time then. What about garbage disposals? I've never seen one of them come with a cord either.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

RICK NAPIER

Garbage disposals are treated differently by UL. Here is an excerp from the minutes of the 2007 Ul and IAEI meeting.

Although some product marking may permit field modifications in accordance with any printed instructions supplied with the product. For example: some garbage disposal units may be supplied with a cord and plug connection kit, but could also be field wired using a NEC? Chapter 3 fixed wiring method when the manufacturers installation instructions are followed. An AHJ would make the final approval decision based on NEC? 110.3(B). For additional information on field modifications please refer to page 38 in the UL White Book or visit UL?s online Field Evaluation Services homepage at: [FONT=IBJPCP+Arial,Bold,Arial][FONT=IBJPCP+Arial,Bold,Arial]http://www.ul.com/field/index.html[/FONT][/FONT].

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Well, our area allows a loose nm with a floating sw. box under the dw. Many of the fancier dw's that I install do not have room underneath so I install a switch box under the sink with a tail out to the dw. You can sleeve the nm in carflex if you like but it is not necessary.

Some brands come with a cord and plug so I hope your inspections allow those as they are UL listed that way. If I get one with a cord and plug then the switch box under the sink becomes a receptacle and I disconnect the wire that goes to where the dw would be. If it is direct wire then I install the switch there.

This setup allows for either install and that's why I do it. I don't like floating a switch under the dw.

What is a floating switch?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician

Why? Ask for a code reference......

I haven't dealt directly with the inspector, but a friend of mine that is an electrician and also works at Lowes has. He should know about the DW mfg. allowing the cord connection. He was getting a rough inspection and the inspector asked him about the DW receptacle and he quoted him the code ref. to the cord connection. The inspector's reply was "not in my town do you use a cord connector for a DW. I want it hard wired." End of story.

jumper

I haven't dealt directly with the inspector, but a friend of mine that is an electrician and also works at Lowes has. He should know about the DW mfg. allowing the cord connection. He was getting a rough inspection and the inspector asked him about the DW receptacle and he quoted him the code ref. to the cord connection. The inspector's reply was "not in my town do you use a cord connector for a DW. I want it hard wired." End of story.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

jumper

What is a floating switch?

If I am doing the work:

LowVoltageGERelayBox020DFs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.