Hard Wire for Dish Washer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

I haven't dealt directly with the inspector, but a friend of mine that is an electrician and also works at Lowes has. He should know about the DW mfg. allowing the cord connection. He was getting a rough inspection and the inspector asked him about the DW receptacle and he quoted him the code ref. to the cord connection. The inspector's reply was "not in my town do you use a cord connector for a DW. I want it hard wired." End of story.

Lets start by putting that inspector in his place. It is not his town, it simply is the town he works for and perhaps some pressure can change that.

As far as direct wire yes it is one of the ways allowed by nec. It will need breaker lock or a switch but i see no reason to add cost of switch unless you can't locate a breaker lock.
You need check to see what ammendments your town has in writing. They over ride nec

jusme123

Occupation
JW
What is a floating switch?

pic3.jpg

raider1

Staff member
Lets start by putting that inspector in his place. It is not his town, it simply is the town he works for and perhaps some pressure can change that.

As far as direct wire yes it is one of the ways allowed by nec. It will need breaker lock or a switch but i see no reason to add cost of switch unless you can't locate a breaker lock.
You need check to see what ammendments your town has in writing. They over ride nec

The 2011 NEC has clarified that for a motor operated appliance a breaker out of sight with a lock is not a suitable disconnecting means.

Check out 422.31(C)

This requirement exists in the 2008 NEC is section 422.32 but most people did not go there and used 422.31(B) instead for a dishwasher which would be a motor operated appliance.

Chris

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The 2011 NEC has clarified that for a motor operated appliance a breaker out of sight with a lock is not a suitable disconnecting means.

Check out 422.31(C)

This requirement exists in the 2008 NEC is section 422.32 but most people did not go there and used 422.31(B) instead for a dishwasher which would be a motor operated appliance.

Chris

Yikes, what does that do for electric ranges with downdrafts , and also convection ovens.

Jim W in Tampa

Check out 422.31(C)

Chris

OK help i do not understand 422.31 b if its not talking about a motor then why say horse power. Not sure what most dish washers even are in HP they run a water pump and that sure is not much.
What exactly makes this motor driven ?
As to the 2011 i have not bought it and likely will not now that i am basically unemployed and retired.

Direct wire to DW has worked for many many years with breaker lock. Why the change to now need in sight or add switch ? Did they finally figure out that repairmen never used them ?

kwired

Electron manager

Would be too simple and cost less to install one of these: http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDsQ8wIwBA

Check out 422.31(C)

Chris

Don't you think these two sections are not consistent with each other?

One says appliances over 300VA or 1/8hp (wouldn't that suggest a motor?) may have a lockable disconnect remote from the appliance. Then the other one (basically the next code section 2008 NEC) says the disconnect for motor driven appliances over 1/8 hp must have the disconnect within sight.

Yikes, what does that do for electric ranges with downdrafts , and also convection ovens.

Many of them are likely 1/8 hp or less, and besides what is required to make it motor driven appliance? The majority of the load is heating, the motor is really only an accessory when it comes to the main purpose of the appliance.

OK help i do not understand 422.31 b if its not talking about a motor then why say horse power. Not sure what most dish washers even are in HP they run a water pump and that sure is not much.
What exactly makes this motor driven ?
As to the 2011 i have not bought it and likely will not now that i am basically unemployed and retired.

Direct wire to DW has worked for many many years with breaker lock. Why the change to now need in sight or add switch ? Did they finally figure out that repairmen never used them ?

I mostly agree - what makes a dishwasher a motor driven appliance? Most I have seen are 1/2 hp or less motor with 1000 watt heating element. The heater in many cases is a larger load than the motor.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Many of them are likely 1/8 hp or less, and besides what is required to make it motor driven appliance? The majority of the load is heating, the motor is really only an accessory when it comes to the main purpose of the appliance.

I mostly agree - what makes a dishwasher a motor driven appliance? Most I have seen are 1/2 hp or less motor with 1000 watt heating element. The heater in many cases is a larger load than the motor.

I don't think that the load of the motor has anything to do with it.

If there were a definition then perhaps it may read that the appliance motor is needed in order to use the appliance-- gets tricky with convection ovens....

So is a convection oven motor driven-- I think so.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think that the load of the motor has anything to do with it.

If there were a definition then perhaps it may read that the appliance motor is needed in order to use the appliance-- gets tricky with convection ovens....

So is a convection oven motor driven-- I think so.

But the motor is not the only source of energy required to do what the machine does.

Take a gas furnace - the primary function of the furnace is to create heat, the burner is the primary element doing what the unit is intended to do but it needs a little help from the blower to do it more effectively.

Now a separate air handlers only function is to move air and the blower is the primary element providing that function.

A dishwasher motor is a little easier to see as the primary driving component to do what the dishwasher is intended to do.

A blower in a convection oven is a little more of an accessory than a necessity to do the primary job of the oven which is to make heat.

JMO

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
A dishwasher motor is a little easier to see as the primary driving component to do what the dishwasher is intended to do.
JMO

Where does it say the motor must be the primary load. On a dishwasher the heater is a larger part of the load then the motor. I see your point but...

kwired

Electron manager
That is the $1,000,000 question. What is required to call an appliance a motor driven appliance? My computer has a cooling fan inside it but it is not really in anyway related to the primary function of what the computer is intended to do. Most of the time a motor is a prime mover of energy in an appliance but not always.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Many of the fancier dw's that I install do not have room underneath so I install a switch box under the sink with a tail out to the dw. You can sleeve the nm in carflex if you like but it is not necessary.

Some brands come with a cord and plug so I hope your inspections allow those as they are UL listed that way. If I get one with a cord and plug then the switch box under the sink becomes a receptacle and I disconnect the wire that goes to where the dw would be. If it is direct wire then I install the switch there.

This setup allows for either install and that's why I do it. I don't like floating a switch under the dw.

I like your idea Dennis and I am going to begin doing it this way also.

raider1

Staff member
Chris,
Wouldn't the Exception to 422.31(C) come into play.
Steven

Yes it would, provided that the dishwasher has a unit switch with a marked off position that disconnects all ungrounded conductors.

The problem is most of the dishwashers that I have seen don't have a unit switch with a marked off position.

Chris

kwired

Electron manager
I personally don't have a problem with it, but if you do not use flexible cord for connecting a dishwasher how are you supposed to comply with securing and supporting rules for any of the other wiring methods that would likely be used?

If you use NM, MC, AC or any type of flexible conduit they all are required to be supported withing 12 inches of the connection to the dishwasher terminal box. An exception is where the wiring method is concealed and fished. A dishwasher is not concealing anything so I wouldn't consider it fished. If you use exceptions that allow for flexibility you can have three feet of flex - that will not be enough in many cases to get to the junction box in the adjacent cabinet.

Like I said, I don't have any problem with not securing whatever method is used where it is protected from damage, but it is not exactly NEC compliant either.

Status
Not open for further replies.