ground rod clamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Is a Burndy ground rod clamp rated for two wires? Got turned down on a rough-in today and all he wrote was install ground clamps correctly! Pray tell what is correctly. I pulled the #4 from the panel to the first ground rod and continued on to the second ground rod actually just went through the clamp and on to the next. wire was not cut,was not doubled up on the ground clamp. Am I missing something? Is there a certain way that the wire has to go through? I think I may have just used the screw to tighten up the wire. Should I have used the other side?

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If the conductor is uncut and passes through the clamp then there is no problem. Using the wrong side of the clamp is a problem.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok, which side shoud I use? Is the set screw not acceptable?

The clamp should look like this:

1113918430_2.jpg

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
Ok, then I am wrong. I think I went through under the set screw. But the example you posted showed the wire cut and 2 clamps used I did not do that. Is what you posted explanatory or is it code? I don't know.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok, then I am wrong. I think I went through under the set screw. But the example you posted showed the wire cut and 2 clamps used I did not do that. Is what you posted explanatory or is it code? I don't know.

I used that graphic solely to depict the orientation of the ground clamp on the conductor. You can run the GEC through the clamp it just has to be on the correct side.

qcroanoke

Occupation
Sorta retired........
Don't make me come up there:mad::grin:

Seriously, if a set screw is acceptable on breakers, neutral bars, ground bars, receptacles,switches and countless other things why is it not acceptable on a ground rod? Other that mfgrs. instructions which I did not read. LOL Really didn't think I needed to.
I mean if it's wrong I'll fix it. It's not a problem.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
The set screw in a ground bar or breaker terminal is designed to force the conductor into a tighter space by pushing it into the inside of an arc.

The set screw on the acorn would push the conductor onto the outside of an arc spreading it apart the more pressure you put on it.

Buck Parrish

Seriously, if a set screw is acceptable on breakers, neutral bars, ground bars, receptacles,switches and countless other things why is it not acceptable on a ground rod? Other that mfgrs. instructions which I did not read. LOL Really didn't think I needed to.

I think it would be fine if it stayed right under the set screw. But it seems to me that it tends to slide to the corner.
At least all you have to do is loosen then turn it to the other side. :)
Hope you don't have a reinspect fee for that !

480sparky

bugnut2.jpg

You tighten the bolt until the clamp breaks.

bugnut.jpg

Then you note how much force it took to break the clamp, and replace it with a new one.

stew

but before you put the new acorn on would be a good idea to drive the grond rod entirley down to the ground as well. In my neck of the woods we leave a foot or anything much over 2 inches above the ground and they tag it.A foot for sure gets a nice little correction notice.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

If you used stranded wire for the GEC I don't see how you could even get a good connection going under the screw.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If you used stranded wire for the GEC I don't see how you could even get a good connection going under the screw.
I don't see why they allow stranded underground for the rod. Corrosion builds up between the strands. Art. 250.62 clearly allows stranded but says that conductors must be resistant to any corrosive conditions or shall be suitable protected against corrosion. I just would not use stranded to a rod at all.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I don't see why they allow stranded underground for the rod. Corrosion builds up between the strands. Art. 250.62 clearly allows stranded but says that conductors must be resistant to any corrosive conditions or shall be suitable protected against corrosion. I just would not use stranded to a rod at all.

Funny we have never used anything but stranded. Why would you want to run #6 solid copper when you could just run stranded?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Funny we have never used anything but stranded. Why would you want to run #6 solid copper when you could just run stranded?

I have always had #6 & #4 bare solid copper on the truck. I have used it for 30 years.

I just found out that the bare copper cost more than the stranded thwn. Go figure.

iwire

Staff member

Same here but I do agree with Dennis that for direct burial applications solid is a better way to go. Or at least order bare stranded which has larger stranding than THHN stranded of the same AWG.

Status
Not open for further replies.