Breaker panel in single family garage wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Is it ok to place an breaker panel in the wall of a garage seperating the living space from the garage in a single family residence?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Is it ok to place an breaker panel in the wall of a garage seperating the living space from the garage in a single family residence?

I have seen it done often but we have had this argument about whether a panel is fire rated. Can't remember the outcome. Guess I am not much help here. :)

It would not fly here if the wall was considered a fire separation. From your brief description, that is just what it sounds like.
Depending on the wall, there are methods/products available for altering the installation to make it a permitted installation.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Yes I remember the debate some time ago, however the outcome was unclear to me. The issue on a job came up again so I was wondering.

I have heard that in a single family residence the separation wall from the living space was not a true rated wall. Some even say the 16 sqin rule does not apply either unless it is muti family. I was always told that it was not acceptable to do so in recent years but cannot find any rule.

John120/240

I did a similar installation, Panel was relocated from the laundry room to the garage

interior wall. It passed with flying colors. A disconnect was required however,

because it exceeded the maximum allowed length of unprotected service conductor. Which is 10 feet or as close as practile.

Last edited:

hurk27

I know here in Indiana the wall is not a fire wall but a gas barrier wall, and it's only design is to keep the exhaust fumes from entering the dwelling if someone leaves a car running, so it must be taped and mudded, but thats about it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I did a similar installation, Panel was relocated from the laundry room to the garage

interior wall. It passed with flying colors. A disconnect was required however,

because it exceeded the maximum allowed length of unprotected service conductor. Which is 10 feet or as close as practile.

Passing does not necessarily mean compliant with the codes. :)

The ICC codes of which NYS has adopted, with some state modifications, considers this wall and the wall(s)/ceiling of boiler rooms in dwelling units to be fire separation (not sure of that term, but too lazy to take my building codes books out at the moment) to be fire rated. I can not speak for other jurisdictions, but I do know there are many that have also adopted these codes.

gndrod

Fire rated

Fire rated

Placer Co Building dept (in Auburn) circa 1972 permitted panelboard on firewall adjacent to living area providing dead front panel was 1 hr rated on 5/8 sheetrock. I would check with them for adopted requirements that are ahead of the CA 2004? (2007) codes currently in effect. I believe NEC 300.21 (fire-rated boxes) fire stopped same bay sealing applies to attached garage adjacent firewalls/ceilings in Nevada Co nearby.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I have done installations where the city required the back of the panel be wrapped with fire pad in order for that panel to be installed in a wall sharing with the garage and the living space. And other cities have never brought up the issue.

So, i think it would be better if you check with the city. I am sure you will agree that there is nothing worse than redoing a job.

gndrod

FIre pad

FIre pad

I have done installations where the city required the back of the panel be wrapped with fire pad in order for that panel to be installed in a wall sharing with the garage and the living space. And other cities have never brought up the issue.

So, i think it would be better if you check with the city. I am sure you will agree that there is nothing worse than redoing a job.
Hi Edward,
I agree. Just curious as to the wall separation type such as a double stud spaced wall construction that is required in some condo projects. Was this in LA?

Status
Not open for further replies.