hassled by inspector today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleveland Apprentice

Today I changed out an old federal pacific panel and replaced with siemens 100 amp panel. The old main service leads were a little too short to land on the main breaker in the new panel. I used aluminum mechanical set-screw type connectors to extend the hots and terminate on the main breaker. The inspector looked at it and questioned me why I didn't run new copper from meter base to main breaker. I told him that HO didn't want to spend extra money and wanted to go the cheapest route. The inspector kinda shook his head and said he would pass me. I had the vibe that the inspector was debating whether to pass me or not. I'm just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with a inspector like this. Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Inspectors are different everywhere you go and he did give in so I don't see the big deal. Be happy he passed it without to much ado.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I wouldn't call that a "hassle" but I'm sure I'm biased.:grin:
Out of curiosity, how much copper would it have taken ?

ceb58

He couldn't fail it because there was no violation. The inspector probably had the same thought I would have had "Too D cheap to do it right"

It compares to filling up your bath tub and taking a bath tonight, then letting out half of the water and saving the rest for tomorrow night:confused:

skeshesh

... same thought I would have had "Too D cheap to do it right"

It compares to filling up your bath tub and taking a bath tonight, then letting out half of the water and saving the rest for tomorrow night:confused:

I'm more confused by your analogy to be honest! I don't really get what you mean by "do it right" since there seems to be no violations. Nice signature line by the way, I smile almost every time I see it.

John120/240

Granted not a violation. But You already had the power company disconnect the

meter. Was this a back to back installation? (meter to panel) Spend a dollar to save

a nickle. How much extra labor & wire would have been expended?

Yes the customer is on a budget, To each his own ways.

Last edited:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Granted not a violation. But You already had the power company disconnect the

meter. Was this a back to back installation? (meter to panel) Spend a dollar to save

a nickle. To each his own ways.

Coulda been one of those installations where you really did not want to mess around in the meter base, no room, etc, etc, etc.
Not to mention he has already said customer did not want to spend the money.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If it is cable installation and it would require tearing out sheetrock just to replace the feeder then i wouldn't even suggests that to the customer. However, if it is conduit installation then i will suggest the upgrade.

As posted by others what would the inspector cite you for?

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I told him that HO didn't want to spend extra money and wanted to go the cheapest route.
Usually never a good reason to take a short cut. A better and neater job would have been to change the feeds but then, you get what you pay for. If you walked away with a profit and you're not embarrassed to sign your name to the job, amen.

kwired

Electron manager
He couldn't fail it because there was no violation. The inspector probably had the same thought I would have had "Too D cheap to do it right"

If you are really cheap you save all the water for tomorrow night:)

growler

Today I changed out an old federal pacific panel and replaced with siemens 100 amp panel. The inspector looked at it and questioned me why I didn't run new copper from meter base to main breaker. I told him that HO didn't want to spend extra money and wanted to go the cheapest route. The inspector kinda shook his head and said he would pass me. I had the vibe that the inspector was debating whether to pass me or not. I'm just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with a inspector like this. Thanks.

I have had inspectors ask all sort of questions to include asking why I even bothered to get a permit for a panel change as it was not required in that jurisdiction.

I think many times they are just curious like most other people. When I informed him that the property management company required a permit and inspection before payment that was all he wanted to know.

Inspectors have a job to do and many at least want to act as if they are doing something. He asked you a question and you gave an answer.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thanks for replies everyone. I did suggest to the HO about upgrading the meter and feeder, but again he wanted to go the cheaper route. Get what you pay for!

and... inquiring (nosey) minds still would like to know :grin:
what would have it entailed to replace the conductors (what length, etc)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
and... inquiring (nosey) minds still would like to know :grin:
what would have it entailed to replace the conductors (what length, etc)

The house I live in has over 30 feet of each conductor between the meter socket and panel. 95 percent of all the upgrades I have done have had less than 10.

Lucky me. (And it's way past time for an upgrade :mad:)

Probably lucky OP, too. :roll:

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I had the vibe that the inspector was debating whether to pass me or not. I'm just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience with a inspector like this. Thanks.

Don't take this wrong but, being that you are an apprentice, did you ask your Jman or boss for their opinion of the inspectors brow raising?

Roger

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I would have covered this issue up front.

I give estimates to customers on what I'm going to do, not what they think i should do.

Sometimes the conductors need to be changed out. Sometimes they need to be spliced.

If I'm going to splice it, I price it that way,,,, If I'm going to change it out,I price it
that way and both instances are fine, but, I dont give the option for one or the other.

I know in my head before I ever even give them a price if I'm going to splice the conductors or change them out all the way back and give them an estimate based on that decision.

It sounds like you may have given them an option to begin with,or it caught you off guard that the conductors were too short after the change out and had to add to your price.

Not sure of the situation,,,, just trying to understand the customer not wanting to pay the "Extra" money.

Cleveland Apprentice

Don't take this wrong but, being that you are an apprentice, did you ask your Jman or boss for their opinion of the inspectors brow raising?

Roger

I did, they laid out the options to HO and HO decided to go the cheap route. Altogether, each strand (#2 cu) was approx 10' long x 3 strands, so the HO didn't want to pay for 30' of new cu and new meter base. If it was my own house, I'd definitely replace everything

Status
Not open for further replies.