Arc Faults on old work

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich000

This type of installation is where AFCIs make the most sense, even though they are only required on new installations.

If the panel is installed with AFCIs and the older wiring and devices are fine, then ther should be no issues. However, the AFCI will pick up the faults (if any) of the older wiring and devices. This should be explained to the customer to let them know that the AFCIs will provide safety, but may cause more work ($$$) due to faults in the older wiring.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
This type of installation is where AFCIs make the most sense, even though they are only required on new installations.

If the panel is installed with AFCIs and the older wiring and devices are fine, then ther should be no issues. However, the AFCI will pick up the faults (if any) of the older wiring and devices. This should be explained to the customer to let them know that the AFCIs will provide safety, but may cause more work ($$$) due to faults in the older wiring.

Agreed, I have yet to see a problem with a current AFCI that is because of a faulty AFCI. I am sure they will break just as any other device. My biggest concern is power quality or lighning issues.

ceb58

This is the exact reason I wouldn't push AFCI's. You can explane to the customer until you are blue in the face but after the second or third nuisance trip in the middle of the night you are the biggest clown they have ever hired.

Status
Not open for further replies.