Supplemental vs Grounding Electrode

Status
Not open for further replies.

walton

For Kwired

Here at the Wastwater Treatmant Plant where I am stationed it is common practice to install auxillary grounds at large motors (1250 hp). Not my design. I was using that as an example of an auxillary ground vs GEC. I think I know enough to install the EGC. Thanks anyway for nothing...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I was using that as an example of an auxillary ground vs GEC. I think I know enough to install the EGC. Thanks anyway for nothing...
Based on the questions in the code forums, a lot of installers and even some engineers do not know that.

walton

One of the reasons I hesitate to use this forum is the kind of response posted by Kwired #19. I use this forum to learn, not show my arrogance. Some of the people hovering over this forum need to get a life.

John120/240

One of the reasons I hesitate to use this forum is the kind of response posted by Kwired #19. I use this forum to learn, not show my arrogance. Some of the people hovering over this forum need to get a life.

Kwired says that he does not know your level of experience. He's just trying to

cover all the bases. This Forum is much less antagonastic than one of the

others that come to mind. There is a wealth of knowledge here. Stick around

& you will learn stuff you didn't know you didn't know.

Twoskinsoneman

Occupation
Facility Senior Electrician
No. Kwired was showing his arrogance. The thread was about Auxillary Grounds vs GECs. An EGC was not the issue.

Shellax Walton. There are two things important to know here.
#1 MANY of the people who post here are very arrogant.
#2 These guys EARNED their arrogance through decades of electrical trade experience and a masterful knowledge of the code book.

USE them to learn and let the BS roll off like grease on teflon.:happyyes:

walton

#2 These guys EARNED their arrogance through decades of electrical trade experience and a masterful knowledge of the code book.

Understood. I guess my 30+ years in the electrical trade and 18 years as an electrical Inspector should make me VERY arrogant. Be professional and keep the BS to yourselves.

jumper

Understood. I guess my 30+ years in the electrical trade and 18 years as an electrical Inspector should make me VERY arrogant. Be professional and keep the BS to yourselves.

Easy now Walton. This is a cool forum.

Kwired is a pretty smart fellow, as you may be also, and I cannot imagine he was trying to be arrogant or condenscending.

The subject at hand has been discussed at length at various times and the misconceptions about about a GE as a mode/device in regards to fault clearing are just being clarified. Maybe not so much as to your benefit, as you state that you already understand, but as future reference for other readers on this subject.

walton

Yes.
I did service calls there years ago (80s) for Superior Power. I have friends that live there. Very nice. Do you play golf? I think that most people that live in Rancho Murietta are golfers. Wonderful course.

Last edited:

walton

Jumper,

Off the point. I hope you were able to find another friend to replace your loss. I know there's no replacing a good and loyal friend but it helps to make new ones. I have a new puppy, he's not my 17 year old Husky but he's my good buddy, Taz the cow dog.

jumper

Yes.
I did service calls there years ago (80s) for Superior Power. I have friends that live there. Very nice. Do you play golf? I think that most people that live in Rancho Murietta are golfers. Wonderful course.

Parents and brothers are golfers, I am clueless about the game.

If I remember the main panel was outside with all the branch circuit breakers also, is this common? I thought it strange to have to go outside to reset a kitchen, bath, bedroom, etc breaker.

jumper

Jumper,

Off the point. I hope you were able to find another friend to replace your loss. I know there's no replacing a good and loyal friend but it helps to make new ones. I have a new puppy, he's not my 17 year old Husky but he's my good buddy, Taz the cow dog.

I did not see this post last night. Thank you for the thoughts and I am glad for new friend.

kwired

Electron manager

Sorry I come off the wrong way. I have no clue what you know or don't know or how much experience you have, or if Thomas Edison was one of your ancestors.

This use of a ground rod to perform the job of a EGC has come up many times before and by people that you would think would know better, I don't think it hurts to mention it, it could possibly save a life if you did have any misunderstanding. Simple things are overlooked even by people that are well trained in what they do at times.

I don't claim to know it all. I like to give my opinion on topics that come up and like to think what education and experiences I do have come in useful here. I also learn a lot reading what others have to say.

I did not make a personal attack on you, unlike some other forums that I really don't care to participate in the conversations - seems like that is all they are about is venting on others instead of sharing experiences and learning from them.

LWFLASH

You are correct.

You are correct.

A supplemental grounding electrode must supplement another electrode. If there are metal water pipes as an electrode then the other electrodes supplement the water pipe electrode. The supplemental electrode may be any of the items in 250.52(A)(2) thru (A)(8). Quite often it is a rod or a CEE.

This is correct. You are not required to have a supplemental grounding electrode if you a single rod, pipe, or plate grounding electrode test 25 ohms resistance or less to earth. Art. 250.53 (2)Exception.
LWFLASH
Denver, CO

LWFLASH

Article Number Correction

Article Number Correction

What the OPer is referring too is now called an auxiliary grounding electrode (250.54) the name was changed in the 2008 NEC to to help clarify that this electrode is not a supplemental electrode as required in 250.52(D)(2) but is an extra electrode that is not required to meet the other requirements in Article 250.

Chris

Your Post is correct except for one small detail in 2011 code it is Art. 250.53(D)(2).
Just a note.
LWFLASH
Denver, CO

walton

Kwired,

Thanks for the responce. I must of been having a bad day. Usually comments like yours don't bother me.
I have been having a conflict with a PE that designed SCADA stations with antenna GEs not connected to the electrical service grounding systems. That's what started me thinking about Auxillary grounds vs Grounding Electrodes and intersystem bonding. So I know what you mean when you say "people in the know that don't know and should know".

John

Status
Not open for further replies.