Starting *Now*: Forum Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Occupation
System Admin
I don't even see a spell check feature or button. Most times if not all spell check is a browser function. What spell check button do you guys have? Is it a browser toolbar?

I do know certain text areas are not recognized by browser spell checkers and this version of VB does have a new editor and text area. You can try different editors under the 'Message Editor Interface' here ---> http://forums.mikeholt.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

I'll continue playing around with it myself to see if there is anything within my control.

Npstewart

Usually when I post a new thread/topic I can see it in the "Whats New?" section. For some reason the one I just posted is only showing up in the category I posted it in...

hurk27

I don't even see a spell check feature or button. Most times if not all spell check is a browser function. What spell check button do you guys have? Is it a browser toolbar?

I do know certain text areas are not recognized by browser spell checkers and this version of VB does have a new editor and text area. You can try different editors under the 'Message Editor Interface' here ---> http://forums.mikeholt.com/profile.php?do=editoptions

I'll continue playing around with it myself to see if there is anything within my control.

Joe in the reply window look at the top row of buttons all the way to the right you will see a button that has ABC and a check mark, that is a spell check button?:?

webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Occupation
System Admin
Ping is how long a packet takes to get to the server your testing your speed from and then back to you (in milliseconds).

tkb

I don't see that button on my editor.

View attachment 5679

I have one that doesn't work.

Spell check.jpg

I also cannot delete files from the File Upload Manager.

File Upload Manager.jpg

Last edited:

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
How hard would it be to be able to highlight certain parts of posts and have only that part be copied when you quote a certain post?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
How hard would it be to be able to highlight certain parts of posts and have only that part be copied when you quote a certain post?

Is that any different than highlighting it afterwards and deleting the section you don't want? Maybe a little but I doubt the software can do that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
When you use the reply with quote button the cursor jumps before the quote. This is very annoying when you want to comment directly after the quote as it has always been. :rant:

Speed is good today:

1440137134.png

Last edited:

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Not possible - but for $8/hr you could hire someone to sit at your computer and do it for you. :lol:

On a different note, has anyone noticed a weird glitch that just happened to me? I clicked a smilie and the whole reply screen locked up for a moment. After about 15 seconds, everything went back to normal. :eek:hmy:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Not possible - but for $8/hr you could hire someone to sit at your computer and do it for you. :lol:

On a different note, has anyone noticed a weird glitch that just happened to me? I clicked a smilie and the whole reply screen locked up for a moment. After about 15 seconds, everything went back to normal. :eek:hmy:

The forum definitely acts differently. There seems to be a pause every time a new screen is called for-- not long but definitely slower than before the fix. I have not noticed the smilies per se.

Overall the performance is better since I have not experienced the long wait between screens but there is definitely delays that are irregular in time.:thumbsup: :lol: :slaphead:--- no problem with those smilies

Smart $

Esteemed Member
When you use the reply with quote button the cursor jumps before the quote. This is very annoying when you want to comment directly after the quote as it has always been. :rant:
Hmmm... my cursor has always been after the quote. But I have noticed in the last couple "versions" that a space and extra return is already in the reply.

Speed is good today:

1440137134.png
A big factor in these speed tests is what server you connect to (among other factors of course). IMO, these tests are a misnomer unless you test to the forum server (currently not sure how to do that).

speedtest.jpg

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Wow you gots great speed compared to me. I must be living in the dark still.:happysad::?

webmaster

Administrator
Staff member
Occupation
System Admin
One way is for Joe (webmaster) to do something like this...

http://www.speedtest.net/mini.php

The forums performance has more to do with server load and resources than bandwidth. Those speed tests show if your internet connection is performing as it should so you can be sure any slowness on the forums is not caused by your internet connection.

Hosting a speed test would increase the load on the server, consume costly bandwidth and still not be a good indicator of performance.

The forums are now running on the fastest and most optimized configuration they have ever been on. We've capitalized on the recent situation and made every improvement possible right down to the backups.

That said... man, some of you guys got some crazy speeds!

hurk27

Distance is more a function of latency between two points, while over all speed is not affected much the delay in the handshake between the computer and server will be affected greatly, this is the time your computer makes a request for info and the time it takes for the server to respond, if you notice the above ping times in smarts post are very long, 40 to 50ms, but in test to closer servers the ping time is 10ms or less, this means for every packet sent you gain the extra 30-40ms between packets in time, while its not much it can be a problem in video and game play.

Status
Not open for further replies.