210.52(B)(2) Wrinkle

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
So, try this one on. :D

Let's say I have a SABC supplying a pair of receptacles in an island. What would you say if someone put in an SSU with a 15A fuse, and supplied a receptacle under the sink with a chunk of 14-2 for a disposal on the load side of those receptacles?

I promised a coworker I'd get some input on this - I think he's got an interesting angle on this. :D

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So you want to tap the 20 amp SABC and feed a 15 amp OCPD (fuse). So the question is can you tap a 20 amp SABC?

Could it be covered by the ex.#2 in 210.52(B)(2)? .....Receptacles installed to provide power for supplemental equipment and lighting on gas-fired ranges, ovens, or counter-mounted cooking units. Or am I reading it wrong and the supplemental equipment they are referring to is just for the ranges, ovens and counter-mounted cooking units?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I have to say no go. It doesn't meet any exception allowed in 210.52 (B)(1) or (2).
If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer!:)
Why does it have to meet either exception? First tell me why it is non-compliant with the general requirement.

I'm inclined to say it's compliant...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Maybe I am blind but I have no idea why one thinks it is okay. A disposal under the sink is another outlet. I don't see how the fuse comes into play. Are you thinking this is illegal if it were #12 wire but since there is a fuse it is okay? What am I missing- this is a clear cut violation in my eyes.

david luchini

Staff member
Occupation
Engineer
I agree with rcarroll...210.52(B)(1) says in a kitchen...the SABCs shall supply all the wall and floor receptacle outlets covered by 210.52(A) and all countertop outlets covered by 210.52(C), and receptacle outlets for refrigeration.

210.52(B)(2) says the SABCs shall have no other outlets. The disposal is not one of the outlets specified in 210.52(B)(1) so it cannot be connected to the SABC per 210.52(B)(2) (or its exceptions.)

The only wrinkle I could think of is saying that the 15A fuse creates a "new" branch circuit, so the disposal is not on the SABC. However, I think the 15A fuse falls under "supplementary" overcurrent protection, not branch overcurrent protection.

(Also, if the 15A fuse wasn't "supplementary," by the definition of "feeder" the SABC would then be a feeder. That's a real brain twister.)

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The only wrinkle I could think of is saying that the 15A fuse creates a "new" branch circuit, so the disposal is not on the SABC. However, I think the 15A fuse falls under "supplementary" overcurrent protection, not branch overcurrent protection.

(Also, if the 15A fuse wasn't "supplementary," by the definition of "feeder" the SABC would then be a feeder. That's a real brain twister.)

That is exactly what I was about to write that the sabc is now a feeder and would not be compliant

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The words No other outlets seems to prohibit this installation.
How do you qualify a receptacle outlet [on a non-lighting, non-dedicated circuit] in a kitchen as an "other outlet"?

For the sake of discussion, I'm considering the "SSU" as a supplementary ocpd.

Finite10

I'm a "no" too. It's not an outlet for a clock - nor for a gas range timer etc. It's an outlet for a small peice of equipment and this non-excepted 'other outlet' is expressly non-compliant.

imho

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
...and so are the other outlets on the SABC's.

Is a disposal an appliance?

Is it a small appliance?

It has nothing to do with a disposal being a small appliance or not. If I put a toaster in my bedroom I cannot extend the kitchen SABC to my bedroom and be compliant.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Bingo. That's what twisted my brain at the idea. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.