Extension ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadpoint

Where is the box installed?

That size box, I think I'd just demo and reinstall, but thats what your probably trying to avoid : )

But...

With the AHJ blessing you could have a metal fab shop match up and make you one.

You might call around and see if some of the major elect. can manufactures has this extension
and you can also check up on the exact size as well! Some are listed on pages eight and nine in the following link.

If your not use to what one might ask of a NEMA subscribing manufacture, note this PDF

Sorry, having competely reviewed the LINK, all the real specifications of constuction is not in this link...

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see no problem with it but as others have mentioned the inspector may be a different story due to listing issues.

jusme123

Occupation
JW
.....now that you bring this up, I wonder if the 'hats' installed on switch gear are UL listed for that use, along with the switch gear listing

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician

With some of the 4 11/16 extension rings i've seen, I don't see why anyone would turn down a reasonably well made homemade one. Some of those 4/11's are terrible for blocking wire, making it hard to reach & pull out or tuck back in. Took a master to invent that one. If you have no sharp edges or snag notches, it should be safe.

Prox

So we ended up using flex instead of the extension ring, but when I showed the inspector the application, he did not have a problem with it. I do appreciate the feedback and thank all of you for your input. Also, thank you shocked for posting the original question for me.

cadpoint

Hold on Mr. Kennedy, There are metal fab shops that can manufacture exactly your stated code requirements. I can't state exactly what the verbage is to say a "UL FAB shop" or it's called something else.

Although I didn't say that I hope that everyone would reason that one would need to meet exactly the Code Article as you stated.

If whom ever goes to the orginial manufactures of a "CAN" and asks for a extension to add something like this situation, frankly I don't see how it could be turned down, thus to imply the AHJ blessing.

Sorry for the lack of information or any confussion on my part!

tkb

Why would it need to be listed if its not in a wet location?

Violation of 314.44.

I agree that a box in a dry location is not required to be listed.
Also as long as the manufacturer puts his name on the box it meets the requirement of 314.44, even if I fab it in my garage and sign my name in sharpie if I meet the requirements of 314.40 and 314.41.

I would say the the method the OP wants to install is compliant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.