GEC Connected to Neutral Block in the Meter Socket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD4315

Can you connect the GEC to the neutral block in a meter socket? If I'm reading the NEC correct 250.24A(1) states I can but is the meter socket considered accessible?

Volta

In my opinion it is, even when locked, though it may not be readily accessible.

I would think that it is electrically almost the best place to land it, even if it is more difficult for inspection purposes.

hurk27

It is not any more a problem to inspect then the other conductors in the meter socket, if inspecting the GEC is a problem then inspecting the hots and neutral will be also, so now what we can't land any conductor in a meter socket:roll:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Both POCO's around here prohibit the connection in the meter enclosure.

I fail to see how they can do that. The meter base is customer owned equipment, and on the load side of the point of delivery, thereby under the jurisdiction of the NEC. The inspector should be the one to call that out.

ceb58

I fail to see how they can do that. The meter base is customer owned equipment, and on the load side of the point of delivery, thereby under the jurisdiction of the NEC. The inspector should be the one to call that out.

Some have disallowed the bonding in the meter base because it is customer owned. Their reasoning is for some one other than the poco to access the base their meter must be pulled and they do not want any one other than them pulling it.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Some have disallowed the bonding in the meter base because it is customer owned. Their reasoning is for some one other than the poco to access the base their meter must be pulled and they do not want any one other than them pulling it.

If that is their excuse, where do they expect you to land the load side of the service from the meterbase to the main breaker? What is the fundamental difference?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The POCO people or anyone else that came up with this prohibition are idiots.

Roger

masterinbama

Here in Madison County Alabama we are not allowed to land it in the socket. One County West in Limestone we are required to. One more county West in Lauderdale the GEC must start at a ground rod or other electrode pass through the lug in the socket and exit at the weather head, where it is tied to the neutral drop separately from the neutral in the mast.

hurk27

Here in Madison County Alabama we are not allowed to land it in the socket. One County West in Limestone we are required to. One more county West in Lauderdale the GEC must start at a ground rod or other electrode pass through the lug in the socket and exit at the weather head, where it is tied to the neutral drop separately from the neutral in the mast.

Now that is a code violation, because it parallels the neutral with a smaller conductor, as least its outside

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
We are not allowed to land it in the meter socket either, POCO rules.

So on an underground fed service, you have to land it in the service disconnect? So you have two hots, a neutral and a seperate bare wire in the same chase?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So on an underground fed service, you have to land it in the service disconnect? So you have two hots, a neutral and a seperate bare wire in the same chase?

We always land the GEC(s) in the service disconnect. Not sure what you mean by a bare wire?

masterinbama

Now that is a code violation, because it parallels the neutral with a smaller conductor, as least its outside

I believe this is leftover from years back when the bare # 4 would go from the rod through the socket unbroken to the weather head. There are many many old houses where the #4 is the only neutral. (no separate conductor up the mast)

John120/240

One County West in Limestone we are required to. One more county West in Lauderdale the GEC must start at a ground rod or other electrode pass through the lug in the socket and exit at the weather head, where it is tied to the neutral drop separately from the neutral in the mast.

The 4 power co's here do not allow GEC in the meter socket.

It seems like a seperate GEC up the mast would require a 4 wire drop from the X former ?

Status
Not open for further replies.