Stab in receptacles now against code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with Bob. Many years ago the manufacturers made the devices so they would not accept 12 awg. Other than that there is not code against it. IMO, using the push in connection is a crappy install as I have seen many failures because of that install..

I agree with Bob. Many years ago the manufacturers made the devices so they would not accept 12 awg. Other than that there is not code against it. IMO, using the push in connection is a crappy install as I have seen many failures because of that install..

I second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, etc, etc, etc,.....to infinity that motion, emotion, opinion, and experience!!!

iwire

Staff member
What is funny is it seems everyone is against them but yet we find them in the field often. They must install themselves.

iwire

Staff member
Just not us (MH forum members), I guess.....

:angel:

:thumbsup:

Well of course. :cool:

Say you had an apprentice sit at a table and using solid wire install a 6" whip of 12 AWG black, white, green, under the screw terminals of a commercial 20 amp duplex and add a 3 or 4 port wago. How quick could you know trim out a building?

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Probably quick.
You can buy those already pigtailed but I don't know about using wago's with em.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
:thumbsup:

Well of course. :cool:

Say you had an apprentice sit at a table and using solid wire install a 6" whip of 12 AWG black, white, green, under the screw terminals of a commercial 20 amp duplex and add a 3 or 4 port wago. How quick could you know trim out a building?

Oh, come on...let's get real.

Apprentice.......yeah, right.

I have to do them myself, usually standing at some sort of makeshift bench. And it's 6" of available conductor or something like that so I use 8" pieces of wire. I used to have one of them cool wire strippers that you just squeezed a handle and the wire was stripped in a micro second, but it grew legs. Once you get on a roll it only takes a few seconds per device and it makes the installation so much easier.

I try to get clamp terminal devices when I can. Quicker than having to bend the wire and I think just as good as or better than the regular screw terminals. I have never seen one fail, but have seen several side mount screw terms fail.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
When installed properly, they don't fail.
How do you know this. It appears to me that many of these devices may have been installed properly but with constant movement they fail. Of course I have no proof of that either. Remember they stopped 12 awg from being used like that for some good reasons. If they were a good connection then 12 awg should also be fine. I am just not convinced it is all user error.

Status
Not open for further replies.