Power Conditioning Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Engineer

Is the guy that wants to buy this thing an engineer? Or just a regular person? :p

This :dunce: is an engineer. He's an electrical PE to boot, like myself. The client hired me, because he used to request all of this specialty equipment. He used to get away with it too, because the person handling the project was a mechanical engineer and he used to use a lot of technical terms so the mechanical engineer believed what he was doing was in the "best interest" of the owner.

Now that I'm there, I'm telling the owner he doesn't need this and that, so he's turned to a rebel rouser.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
This :dunce: is an engineer. He's an electrical PE to boot, like myself. The client hired me, because he used to request all of this specialty equipment. He used to get away with it too, because the person handling the project was a mechanical engineer and he used to use a lot of technical terms so the mechanical engineer believed what he was doing was in the "best interest" of the owner.

Now that I'm there, I'm telling the owner he doesn't need this and that, so he's turned to a rebel rouser.

You see through him, and now he has to discredit you. The better you are, the more you are going to run into problems like that.

Joethemechanic

Occupation
Electro-Mechanical Technician. Industrial machinery
It comes from years of hearing people insist that things either happened, or somehow are going to happen, that are physically impossible. You're up against a tough situation. Just develope a nasty persona and chase them away.

Besoeker

A UPS is not a device to clean power, unless additional components are added.
It isn't their primary function, agreed, but often the output is cleaner than the input.

Typical of the UPS systems we use:
Voltage distortion with linear load / with non-linear load < 2% / < 4%

These are on-line double conversion technology units.
I have seen worse and very much worse than that on some mains supplies. In one paper mill it was about 15%

calsparki

Power Conditioners

Power Conditioners

What are you trying to protect? Desktop PC's or PLC's and multiple racks of I/O? If PC's, you probably don't need it as posted earlier. However, for PLC's and I/O, I highly recommend. Cheap insurance when PLC processors can exceed $5K and above. Hard to give you a definite answer without a 1 line diagram.

Lady Engineer

What are you trying to protect? Desktop PC's or PLC's and multiple racks of I/O? If PC's, you probably don't need it as posted earlier. However, for PLC's and I/O, I highly recommend. Cheap insurance when PLC processors can exceed $5K and above. Hard to give you a definite answer without a 1 line diagram.

This is a waste water treatment plant for the entire town. I need the PLCs, Pump Control Panels, the SCADA systems, and surge relief valves on power that's uninterrupted, because if the surge relief valves don't open within a short period of time , then 1500 gallons/min of sewage empties into the river.

I'm going with the UPS, I think. I don't need the conditioning type transformer, because I can essentially put a TVSS device on the panel as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.