Stairwell Landing Outlet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richterfan

Does anyone know if there is or was a code in the NEC that required an outlet on a landing if there were so many steps? I thought there was and cannot find it, unless its a boca or a state code of which im in connecticut and cannot find it online anywhere. Any help?

Richterfan

This is in the 2005 code as well, Does this mean an outlet is required or not?

COPIED SECTION NEC 2002;

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.
Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).
(A) Dwelling Units. In dwelling units, lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (2), and (3).
(2) Additional Locations. Additional lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with (a), (b), and (c).
(a) At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power.
(c) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entry way, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
If you are speaking of Lighting outlet the answer is yes, Receptacle outlet NO!

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Remember that when using "NEC language" an "outlet" is not always a receptacle. See the definitions in Article 100.

tkb

This is in the 2005 code as well, Does this mean an outlet is required or not?

COPIED SECTION NEC 2002;

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.
Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).
(A) Dwelling Units. In dwelling units, lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (2), and (3).
(2) Additional Locations. Additional lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with (a), (b), and (c).
(a) At least one wall switch-controlled lighting outlet shall be installed in hallways, stairways, attached garages, and detached garages with electric power.
(c) Where one or more lighting outlet(s) are installed for interior stairways, there shall be a wall switch at each floor level, and landing level that includes an entry way, to control the lighting outlet(s) where the stairway between floor levels has six risers or more.

If you are speaking of Lighting outlet the answer is yes, Receptacle outlet NO!

The code reference does not require a lighting outlet or receptacle outlet, only a switch if there is an entry way on the landing.
The lighting outlets can be over the stairs and are not required over the landings.
It would be a good design to have them over the landings and may be required by building codes.

kwired

Electron manager
The code reference does not require a lighting outlet or receptacle outlet, only a switch if there is an entry way on the landing.
The lighting outlets can be over the stairs and are not required over the landings.
It would be a good design to have them over the landings and may be required by building codes.

A lighting outlet is required for the stairway, one is not required specifically for the landing. One could nit pick it to death when determining exactly what is required but in general it does need illumination somehow.

renosteinke

Perhaps one could consider a stairwell as a variation on a 'hallway.' If that were so, then a convenience receptacle would be required every twenty feet - which is far enough that most residential stairwells might not need one, as there might be a receptacle close enough to the stairwell to count.

kwired

Electron manager
Perhaps one could consider a stairwell as a variation on a 'hallway.' If that were so, then a convenience receptacle would be required every twenty feet - which is far enough that most residential stairwells might not need one, as there might be a receptacle close enough to the stairwell to count.

(H) Hallways. In dwelling units, hallways of 3.0 m (10 ft) or more in length shall have at least one receptacle outlet.

As used in this subsection, the hallway length shall be considered the length along the centerline of the hallway without passing through a doorway.

I read that as meaning at least one receptacle is required if it is 10 feet or more in length. If it is several hundred feet in length there is still only one required.

I will not say whether or not the stairway is a hallway. I will say I have seen many that would require a receptacle if they are indeed a hallway yet I seldom ever see a receptacle in a stairway except for at landings.

renosteinke

Kwired, thank you for correcting my mis-representation of the actual code requirement. The reference to a doorway is also a cood catch, and most relevant.

Status
Not open for further replies.