Gac66610

yep ... vertical nuts ... horizontal screws ...... and i thought this was ..um

yeah ok this is the electrical forum :ashamed:

:angel:

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Why vertical? Horizontal is so in right now... :) And it doesn't matter which way you install them, because the painter doesn't care... :)

I'm going to start using "pop rivits" instead of screws to hold on the cover plate, then it will not have a slot and the painter will just have to deal with it, I just don't care any more. Hope I never have to come back and trouble shoot any thing.

That was such an easy thread high jacking, just say ground up or vertical cover screws and everyone chimes in.

480sparky

I place all my wire nut splices in cases of prefabricated amulite, surrounded by hydrocoptic marzle vanes. They are then encased in solid lead, and placed in an air-conditioned compartment with a three back-up power sources to prevent overheating. A miniature Ansul system and fire sprinkler system are also installed as fail-safe fire protection means.

All protected by an electronic alarm system, utilizing a T5 reporting phone line. An 24/7-security firm's armed guard is placed at each splice location. In addition, I fly over the entire site every day in my personal helicopter.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I place all my wire nut splices in cases of prefabricated amulite, surrounded by hydrocoptic marzle vanes. They are then encased in solid lead, and placed in an air-conditioned compartment with a three back-up power sources to prevent overheating. A miniature Ansul system and fire sprinkler system are also installed as fail-safe fire protection means.

All protected by an electronic alarm system, utilizing a T5 reporting phone line. An 24/7-security firm's armed guard is placed at each splice location. In addition, I fly over the entire site every day in my personal helicopter.

Hopefully with your thermal scanning camera.

This all proves "The first liar doesn't have a chance"!

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector

Why go to all that trouble when you can just use Wago's instead?

stickboy1375

I'm going to start using "pop rivits" instead of screws to hold on the cover plate, then it will not have a slot and the painter will just have to deal with it, I just don't care any more. Hope I never have to come back and trouble shoot any thing.

That was such an easy thread high jacking, just say ground up or vertical cover screws and everyone chimes in.

I hope you realize my posts were just for fun. :)

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The wirenuts were facing down in this box and the problem had NOTHING to do with the splice, it was the insects. :D Damn there were a lot of spiders on that job.

IMAG0460.jpg

Strife

I was told a while back (before I started in the apprenticeship program), that when making joints in a wall mounted j-box, the wire nuts must be positioned so that no water could collect in the wire nut should there be a leak in the roof, etc... I was also told that this was in the code. Altough I feel that this is good practice, and always make my joints so that the wire nuts are facing up, I cannot find in the code book where this is mentioned. 110.14(B), and 300.4 are where I would think this info would be, but no luck. any comments or ideas?

This has to be the silliest notion since the "ground up, ground down" myth.
The scariest part is....
Looking through the comments..... Some of you(or least one) think it should be required.
Some day, someone will make an argument for both, and next thing you know, it'll be part of NEC.
No wonder I'm losing respect for NEC with every passing cycle.

480sparky

The wirenuts were facing down in this box and the problem had NOTHING to do with the splice, it was the insects. :D Damn there were a lot of spiders on that job.

The wire nuts were originally installed pointed up. The spiders turned 'em down so they could lay their eggs in 'em. :lol:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
The picture a few posts ago was of a "Bell Box" They keep water out, but if it can get in, it stays in. I always drill a small hole in the bottom of the box, or as the NEC states, "arranged to drain"

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The picture a few posts ago was of a "Bell Box" They keep water out, but if it can get in, it stays in. I always drill a small hole in the bottom of the box, or as the NEC states, "arranged to drain"

well the "master pool guy" that installed that box made sure there would be no water collecting inside, he left the 1/2" KO plug out of the bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.