supplimental GES for disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

@kwired,
Some utilities are the AHJ. Also, In most cases [99.9% of cases]--where the service is involved--the serving utility dictates how electrical equipment should be installed. Technically they are the AHJ up until their ownership stops. Our local inspectors, or another body of authority inspects based on their specifications.

Please note that the structure (Mobile and Manufactured homes) are under HUD?s jurisdiction. Here is what HUD has to say regarding Manufactured homes (in-part):(3) Service equipment installed on themanufactured home in accordance withArticle 230 of the National ElectricalCode, NFPA No. 70?2005, and thefollowing requirements:***** (ii) Exterior equipment, or theenclosure in which it is installed mustbe weatherproof and installed inaccordance with Article 312.2(A) of theNational Electrical Code, NFPA No. 70?2005, and conductors must be suitablefor use in wet locations;
(iii) Each neutral conductor must beconnected to the system groundingconductor on the supply side of themain disconnect in accordance withArticles 250.24, 250.26, and 250.28 ofthe National Electrical Code, NFPA No.70?2005.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
(A) only applys if (B) is not met (manufactured homes). No 30' in (B).
First, (B) is permitted, not required, and only if it is a manufactured home AND conditions (1) through (7) are met.

Irregardless, note (B) refers to only to Service Equipment. If the Service Equipment is located more than 30' away, how does (B) apply???

Answer: (B) does not apply. There is no mention of a non-service local disconnect as permitted under 550.32(A). What was that about the last sentence of 550.32(B)? (rhetorical)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Now read (C)

(C) Rating. Mobile home service equipment shall be rated at
not less than 100 amperes at 120/240 volts,

What is missing is "and manufactured home service equipment".
No minimum service for a manufactured home. Is this what they meant? No. Is this what they said? Yes.

Where do I fill out one of them there forms?????:D
(C) applies to manufactured homes because of the definition clause, "For the purpose of this Code and unless otherwise indicated, the term mobile home includes manufactured homes."

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
(C) applies to manufactured homes because of the definition clause, "For the purpose of this Code and unless otherwise indicated, the term mobile home includes manufactured homes."

Example of otherwise indicated.

When the code wants it to appy to both it says so:
II. Mobile and Manufactured Homes
550.25(B) Mobile Homes and Manufactured Homes.

When the code wants to seperate them it does:
III. Services and Feeders
550.32 Service Equipment.
(A) Mobile Home Service Equipment.
(B) Manufactured Home Service Equipment.

If the service equipment is not in or on the home (A) applys. The distance 'regardless' if it is 30', 5', or 100 of a disconnect "adjacent" to the home keeps us from using (B).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Example of otherwise indicated.

When the code wants it to appy to both it says so:
II. Mobile and Manufactured Homes
550.25(B) Mobile Homes and Manufactured Homes.
Just because it mentions both in one section [or subsection] does not rescind the definition clause when manufactured homes are not mentioned.

When the code wants to seperate them it does:
III. Services and Feeders
550.32 Service Equipment.
(A) Mobile Home Service Equipment.
(B) Manufactured Home Service Equipment.
No. (A) applies to both. (B) is essentially an exception to (A) for manufactured homes.

If the service equipment is not in or on the home (A) applys. The distance 'regardless' if it is 30', 5', or 100 of a disconnect "adjacent" to the home keeps us from using (B).
I agree.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
No disconnect per (A). Treated them just like a stick built home.
So you're saying the service was more than 30' away, and no disconnect adjacent within 30'? ...but there was a main disconnect on or in the manufactured home, right?

I personally have no problem with that... but that's not how the Code reads :huh:

Perhaps you do need that form :happyyes:

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
So you're saying the service was more than 30' away, and no disconnect adjacent within 30'? ...but there was a main disconnect on or in the manufactured home, right?

:happyyes:

What I am saying is the meter and disconnect are on the home or the meter is on the home and the factory panel is used as the main disconnect (rare to have this happen).

Smart $

Esteemed Member
What I am saying is the meter and disconnect are on the home or the meter is on the home and the factory panel is used as the main disconnect (rare to have this happen).
That's the service location. That complies with 550.32(B). I have no problem with that... :cool:

So now I'm at a loss understanding what point you were attempting to make. :?

We're discussing an instance where the service equipment is located more than 30' away from the exterior of the manufactured home. Is an adjacent disconnect within 30', not on or in, required for this manufactured home?

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
How does this relate... :?

I will point out two sentences near the bottom...

Note which 550.32 subsections use "shall" and "permitted".

Yes it shall in (A) unless it is permitted in (B). (B) says that I need no disconnect as required in (A).

So I can put the disconnect (if one is needed at all) on, in or beside, 30', a manufactured home but I must install a disconnect, 30', for a mobile home.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
That's the service location. That complies with 550.32(B). I have no problem with that... :cool:

So now I'm at a loss understanding what point you were attempting to make. :?

We're discussing an instance where the service equipment is located more than 30' away from the exterior of the manufactured home. Is an adjacent disconnect within 30', not on or in, required for this manufactured home?

YES.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Great!!!

Now that we got that out of the way, does anyone feel as me that where a manufactured home meeting all the requirements for service equipment on or in it (additionally, no N-to-G bond), should be permitted to have the "local" disconnect on or in it, when the service equipment is located more than 30' from the exterior... which would, as you said earlier, treat it the same as stick built? (sorry about the run-on sentence)

Status
Not open for further replies.