Set screw butt splices for overhead connections?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jumper

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not sure how to answer you. What methods do you use ? I've known guys that use RX connectors and tape them up knowing that the POCO will be out shortly after they get notified that the service has been upgraded. If you have a better way please share it wqith us.

renosteinke

For service upgrades, I used to use the PGC's (parallel groove connectors) supplied by the PoCo.

This has changed, since a change in PoCo rules has the connection now made by their guy. Their usual method is to use barrel crimps.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Not sure how to answer you. What methods do you use ? I've known guys that use RX connectors and tape them up knowing that the POCO will be out shortly after they get notified that the service has been upgraded. If you have a better way please share it wqith us.

I believe that he was asking why you feel the insulated barrel crimps are safer......

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Use them all the time. Then wrap with rubber tape and finish with good electrical tape. Besides POCO comes in to redo connections within a month anyway.

thanks for the good links for less expensive connectors.

jumper

I was asking why you think crimp connections are safer than set screw.

I use primarily crimp, but have used set screw for other applications.

satcom

We like the aluminum butt splice, they give us plenty of new repair work from customers who lost their service on the first extreme temp change, and they will never call back the company that let them down, don't expect to get a call back from these customers.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I was asking why you think crimp connections are safer than set screw.

I use primarily crimp, but have used set screw for other applications.
IMHO, from the standpoint of exposure to live parts, when using devices like butt splicers or parallel groove connectors you need some type of metal allen, crescent or socket wrench to install these connectors. There's always a chance that you'll accidently come in contact with a grounded conductor (spoken from the voice of experience - I still have a notch in my allen key set). With the insulated barrel crimps you skin away the insulation on the triplex conductor, slide the barrel crimp right on and you're safe to use the crimper.

kwired

Electron manager
We like the aluminum butt splice, they give us plenty of new repair work from customers who lost their service on the first extreme temp change, and they will never call back the company that let them down, don't expect to get a call back from these customers.
Anything besides a crimped connection on aluminum that is out in the weather seems to be this way, they do guarantee service calls for someone. I can't recall ever replacing a failed crimped connection if it was installed properly.

I rather use the butt splices because it's a lot easier and safer on a ladder with a hex key over using a big bulky crimp tool.
See Hv&Lv's tool in his post. Don't look at the price tag for them though.

We had a bunch of these come in a couple of years ago. If you do alot(and I do mean alot) it is well worth it. We use this tool daily:
http://www.swaintools.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=41
I can never get local POCO guys to accidently leave them at a job - and especially can't seem to get them to leave a battery charger also.

Ive had the barrel crimps come lose enough that I only use the butt splicers.

If properly sized to conductor and properly installed how are they coming loose?

IMHO, from the standpoint of exposure to live parts, when using devices like butt splicers or parallel groove connectors you need some type of metal allen, crescent or socket wrench to install these connectors. There's always a chance that you'll accidently come in contact with a grounded conductor (spoken from the voice of experience - I still have a notch in my allen key set). With the insulated barrel crimps you skin away the insulation on the triplex conductor, slide the barrel crimp right on and you're safer to use the crimper.

I fixed your post.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.