Outdoor receptacle box

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

Just in case you don’t have your code book:
PVC conduit shall not be used under the conditions specified in 352.12 (A) through (F).
-B Support of Luminaires. For the support of luminaires or other equipment not described in 352.10H.
352.10H
-PVC conduit shall be permitted to support nonmetallic conduit bodies not larger than the largest trade size of an entering raceway. These conduit bodies shall not support luminaires or other equipment and shall not contain devices other than splicing devices as permitted by......

olc

The architect is insisting that the box be supported by conduit (RGS). Also it will be 15" above grade (to be accessible).
Still OK? Will the conduit hold it OK? Oversize the conduit?

jusme123

Occupation
JW
I wonder if two 2" pieces of rigid conduit where threaded into box and than converted over to pvc if that would be code compliant? I dont see why not, not that I would do that!!

Michael15956

I agree if that is PVC supporting the box then it is a violation.

Chris

Chris, the shown box does have threaded female hubs and require threaded male connectors, so PVC Conduit would meet the requirement when the male threaded connectors are glued to the PVC Conduit.

jumper

I wonder if two 2" pieces of rigid conduit where threaded into box and than converted over to pvc if that would be code compliant? I dont see why not, not that I would do that!!

Sure that would be legal,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, if you can support and secure those 2" nipples and using the PVC does not cut it. 300.11(B)(1) and (3).

kwired

Electron manager
One fix is to drive uni strut behind the box & attach box to strut with a spring nut.

Other fix drive 1/2 or 3/4 rigid with the threads up & screw box on the rigid. Then use the

other knock out for PVC supply.

Both supporting raceways would need to be threaded conduit. There must be two supporting raceways if you have those you could then run a third PVC - good luck finding a box of this type with more than two threaded entries in one side.

iwire

Staff member
The few times I have had to do this I have done it like this.

Two full sticks of RMC, bend a 90 in one at the height you need and bend the 90 in second one just enough less to clear the first one so you can spin them both into the box.

Drop them in the trench and connect those to PVC to complete the runs.

If the box is the last one I just add a second empty conduit to comply with the NEC requirements.

It is rock solid when done this way, I also use heavy steel FS boxes, not the cast 'bell boxes' as it is a really pain to fix if the cast box gets broken by landscapers.

iwire

Staff member
Sorry, I disagree. The section does not specify "threaded conduit." It specifies, in part, "two or more conduits threaded wrenchtight into the enclosure or hubs."

PVC is excluded, PVC conduit is not threaded. The fittings are and PVC fittings are just as excluded as RMC threadless connectors are for this application.

The NEC does not allow boxes to be secured or supported by PVC conduit.

Michael15956

PVC is excluded, PVC conduit is not threaded. The fittings are and PVC fittings are just as excluded as RMC threadless connectors are for this application.

The NEC does not allow boxes to be secured or supported by PVC conduit.

Once again, the section does not call for threaded conduit, it just specifies for "conduits threaded wrenchtight."

Also if you are referring to section 352.10(H) in reference to box support, boxes are not listed in that section.

kwired

Electron manager
Once again, the section does not call for threaded conduit, it just specifies for "conduits threaded wrenchtight."

Also if you are referring to section 352.10(H) in reference to box support, boxes are not listed in that section.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by iwire
PVC fittings are just as excluded as RMC threadless connectors are for this application.

Section?

Connectors wether RMC, EMT, PVC, etc. are not conduit they are fittings. You thread fittings into a hub or threaded entry. The only raceway you are allowed to thread is RMC and IMC. Therefore to properly thread a raceway into a hub it would have to be RMC or IMC, with no fitting.

Michael15956

Connectors wether RMC, EMT, PVC, etc. are not conduit they are fittings. You thread fittings into a hub or threaded entry. The only raceway you are allowed to thread is RMC and IMC. Therefore to properly thread a raceway into a hub it would have to be RMC or IMC, with no fitting.

Sorry Kwired, still not buying that. I believe that the word, "properly" is not used in this section. IMO, PVC with a glued male connector is still considered conduit.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Sorry Michael-- you are the lone wolf here. It clearly states conduit and you are calling a glued fitting on a piece of PVC a conduit. Sorry Mike but good try-- :D Answer me how is it possible to make pvc conduit wrench tite. You can make the connector wrench tight but not the PVC.

kwired

Electron manager
Sorry Michael-- you are the lone wolf here. It clearly states conduit and you are calling a glued fitting on a piece of PVC a conduit. Sorry Mike but good try-- :D Answer me how is it possible to make pvc conduit wrench tite. You can make the connector wrench tight but not the PVC.

How about a "2 screw Romex clamp" fitting with a 12-2 NM cable in it? If you were to thread that into a threaded opening would you turn the "fitting" wrench tight or would you grab the cable with your pliers and turn both to tighten it?

Similiar with PVC or other fittings - you often install the fitting in the threaded or even non threaded hole first, then install the raceway into the fitting, not always but often.

add:
Dennis I replied to your post, but was more less addressing Michael, sorry about that.

Michael15956

Come on Dennis, you guys need to put up a better agreement then that. :) PVC with a glued fitting is still conduit! It can't be anything less. The fitting is part of the conduit, and this section only requires the conduit to be wrench tight. Once glued the fitting is part of the conduit.

In response to your question: glue the PVC threaded male connector to the PVC Pipe and simply thread it in the threaded opening with a wrench.

Michael15956

How about a "2 screw Romex clamp" fitting with a 12-2 NM cable in it? If you were to thread that into a threaded opening would you turn the "fitting" wrench tight or would you grab the cable with your pliers and turn both to tighten it?

Similiar with PVC or other fittings - you often install the fitting in the threaded or even non threaded hole first, then install the raceway into the fitting, not always but often.

add:
Dennis I replied to your post, but was more less addressing Michael, sorry about that.

Kwired, not sure how to responds to you here, but I believe that the section in question only required a threaded connection which is or maybe considered more secure than a non- threaded connection. PVC with a glued male connector is a threaded connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.