Cell Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlmyers82

Hello, I am a new Electrical Contractor from Florida. I have my unlimited here in florida. My question is? Is there any one in here that may be able to help me with Cell Sites. I have a great oppertunity to do a few but have no experiance in doing them, let alone estimating them. If any one could help i would appreciate it. Thank You

Joe Myers
Others Electric, Inc.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hello, I am a new Electrical Contractor from Florida. I have my unlimited here in florida. My question is? Is there any one in here that may be able to help me with Cell Sites. I have a great oppertunity to do a few but have no experiance in doing them, let alone estimating them. If any one could help i would appreciate it. Thank You

Joe Myers
Others Electric, Inc.

I am amazed that a cell phone company would allow a complete neophyte to wire up a cell tower.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Out here it's usually electricians doing the service and feeds to the boxes and the cell guys doing the rest.

Exactly. Most cell buildings will be built in a factory and shipped to site. All you should have to do is the service.
READ what the specs say about your responsibilities! Grounding is something that if you don't know what is expected of you will bite you hard and deep! They ground everything!!!!!!!!! Fence posts, tower legs, door frames , air conditioners, wave guides and on and on. In other words if it doesn't move they ground it!
Do not think it will be a cakewalk. Try to make sure there is no grounding already done before you do the service if it is underground. Lots of ground wires underground running to the ground ring.
Oh! and if you do the grounding make sure to cover everything you do before days end. Not that that will stop a copper thief....

Last edited:

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
What qcroanoke said. The service is a piece of cake. I have installed the batteries and some of the DC stuff. That is not hard either.

No way I would do the grounding. There is enough cad welds going off to rival that 4th of July mishap they had in San Diego. Sub it or find someone with experience to hire.

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Oh! and if you do the grounding make sure to cover everything you do before days end. Not that that will stop a copper thief....

Yeah, I've been to a lot of towers where the copperheads have cut everything exposed as high as they can reach. The cell companies don't even bother replacing it anymore.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
No way I would do the grounding. There is enough cad welds going off to rival that 4th of July mishap they had in San Diego. Sub it or find someone with experience to hire.

I agree 100%! If you are not experienced in cell site grounding hire somebody or sub it out to someone who is.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

Joe Myers
Others Electric, Inc.

like everyone said, grounding and cadweld is the whole thing... so.... have you
done buckets of cadweld?

there is also cold forming with a hypress..... a huge resource, even tho it's on
the other side of the country from you, is mayday grounding, in buena park, calif.

you are gonna need to know chemical grounds, cadwelds, and hypress. like i said,
you can substitute cold swaging instead of cadweld in some cases, but you are gonna
need a bunch of molds.... that is where mayday comes in handy... they are the largest
stocking distributor of cadweld molds and shots, anywhere. they have more inventory
than erico, by far.

http://www.fwlsp.com/product/1563/Burndy

that tool will do any crimp, cold form, or task you need done, with the right dies.
$4,000

your main chore will be to keep the tweakers from stealing everything you install
before you get paid for it. contract language is important to protect you, along with
photos documenting EVERYTHING you install EVERY day.

good luck.... you can make an awful lot of money grounding if you are fast at it.
you can bid it flat rate, with a 500 MCM T being about $50 a shot, is what the last
guy i worked for doing it was getting for it.... material is $12, add $2 for molds,
you are still at under $15 a shot, so you have $35 gross profit before costs....

if the work is ahead of you and you can just rock, like a substation, i've done 125
500 mcm shots in a 8 hour day...... so yeah, you can make some money at it.

to all you guys who don't like cadwelding, if you want to sub it out in the
so calif area, send me a PM... cadwelding has been very bery good to me....

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If your doing the upgrades where many sites are going from 24 Vdc to 48 Vdc, you will have some grounding to do, but it is all compression fittings, so you will need a good hydraulic crimper. You will also need to have a plan removing and disposing of large, and a lot of times leaky batteries. Some of the equipment is dual voltage, so some reprogramming will be needed ( we just sub that out ) while other equipment will be refeed off the new power plant. Not really that hard of a job once you know how it goes together. Then there's getting paid, if your a sub of a sub, they are pretty slow at paying.

ceb58

I agree 100%! If you are not experienced in cell site grounding hire somebody or sub it out to someone who is.

Another thing to watch out for on the grounding is the testing. Our requirements for our tower sites is less than 5 ohms on the ground ring. If you do not have the equipment to do the FOP test then you can hire it out unless you want to invest large $$$$.

WIMaster

I am amazed that a cell phone company would allow a complete neophyte to wire up a cell tower.

I am amazed at this response! :thumbsdown:
But since I have seen similar responses by the moderators here I guess I shouldn't be. :thumbsdown:

Seems to be sliding to the level of another electric forum. :weeping:

fmtjfw

Negativeism seems to be on the up cycle

Negativeism seems to be on the up cycle

It'll swing the other way, just a passing phase.

Look at the "black tape" thread and the lambasting the OP is being given (rightly so in his case).:D

kwired

Electron manager
I am amazed at this response! :thumbsdown:
But since I have seen similar responses by the moderators here I guess I shouldn't be. :thumbsdown:

Seems to be sliding to the level of another electric forum. :weeping:

I thought it was rather rude myself, then I looked up definition of neophyte (a new convert, novice, beginner) and am not really sure what was intended by that statement. If you take it for what it means it is not really that offensive, it just sounds offensive.

Another related thought - New person needs to start sometime or he will always be new.

zog

Another thing to watch out for on the grounding is the testing. Our requirements for our tower sites is less than 5 ohms on the ground ring. If you do not have the equipment to do the FOP test then you can hire it out unless you want to invest large $$$$.

Yep, 5 ohms is pretty typical and cell sites usually require the tests are per ANSI/NETA so you will need to do a 3 point FOP and provide test report for each one showing plot of plauteu to prove results.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Neophyte is a shy, quiet mutant with the ability to phase his body and others, allowing complete intangibility and high-speed transport through inanimate matter. Discovered by Cargill, Unuscione, and Milan in an abandoned church in Switzerland while praying for something to believe in, he accepted their invitation to join the group of Magneto followers known as the Acolytes. The youngest member of the group, he was assigned tasks of little importance and did not accompany the other Acolytes into battle. He was put in charge of feeding the captive Moira MacTaggert, but eventually discovered through her that their de facto leader, Fabian Cortez, had secretly murdered Magneto (though it would later be revealed that Magneto actually survived the attempt). Cortez used his own mutant power to amplify the powers of others to uncontrollable levels to jettison Neophyte from their headquarters, where he fell into a grotto. A woman came to his rescue, although he was confused about why a human would help a mutant. Suddenly, a trio of Acolytes appeared and killed the woman. This act caused him to rethink his loyalties towards Fabian Cortez and the Acolytes. He agreed to use his knowledge and powers to aid the X-Men in infiltrating the Acolytes' base of operations. After the conflict Neophyte was offered sanctuary with the X-Men, but declined the offer and departed alone to search for meaning on his own terms.[1]

Eventually, Neophyte was captured by the Acolytes and put on trial for the crime of treason after aiding the X-Men. The former X-Man Colossus decided to defend Neophyte in his case, opting for a second chance for the boy instead of the penalty of death that most of the other Acolytes wished for. Neophyte felt hopeless, fully expecting to be executed. Being prosecuted by Amelia Voght and judged by Exodus, Neophyte claimed the Acolytes as hypocrites, as they preached Magneto's way but were guilty of doing the same hatred and violence as those they condemned. When he mentioned Professor Charles Xavier's name, the Acolytes were sent into an uproar, only to be stopped by Exodus, who stated that Neophyte's death would only occur after the trial. Colossus stepped forward and managed to convince Exodus to banish Neophyte from Avalon, teleporting him back to Earth.[2]

Neophyte eventually returns to the Acolytes' ranks after Magneto resurfaces. Still among the more compassionate members, he is frequently ridiculed and is thought of as weak by several others. On the battlefield, however, he held his own, and proved to be a useful teammate

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Neophyte is a shy, quiet mutant with the ability to phase his body and others, allowing complete intangibility and high-speed transport through inanimate matter. Discovered by Cargill, Unuscione, and Milan in an abandoned church in Switzerland while praying for something to believe in, he accepted their invitation to join the group of Magneto followers known as the Acolytes. The youngest member of the group, he was assigned tasks of little importance and did not accompany the other Acolytes into battle. He was put in charge of feeding the captive Moira MacTaggert, but eventually discovered through her that their de facto leader, Fabian Cortez, had secretly murdered Magneto (though it would later be revealed that Magneto actually survived the attempt). Cortez used his own mutant power to amplify the powers of others to uncontrollable levels to jettison Neophyte from their headquarters, where he fell into a grotto. A woman came to his rescue, although he was confused about why a human would help a mutant. Suddenly, a trio of Acolytes appeared and killed the woman. This act caused him to rethink his loyalties towards Fabian Cortez and the Acolytes. He agreed to use his knowledge and powers to aid the X-Men in infiltrating the Acolytes' base of operations. After the conflict Neophyte was offered sanctuary with the X-Men, but declined the offer and departed alone to search for meaning on his own terms.[1]

Eventually, Neophyte was captured by the Acolytes and put on trial for the crime of treason after aiding the X-Men. The former X-Man Colossus decided to defend Neophyte in his case, opting for a second chance for the boy instead of the penalty of death that most of the other Acolytes wished for. Neophyte felt hopeless, fully expecting to be executed. Being prosecuted by Amelia Voght and judged by Exodus, Neophyte claimed the Acolytes as hypocrites, as they preached Magneto's way but were guilty of doing the same hatred and violence as those they condemned. When he mentioned Professor Charles Xavier's name, the Acolytes were sent into an uproar, only to be stopped by Exodus, who stated that Neophyte's death would only occur after the trial. Colossus stepped forward and managed to convince Exodus to banish Neophyte from Avalon, teleporting him back to Earth.[2]

Neophyte eventually returns to the Acolytes' ranks after Magneto resurfaces. Still among the more compassionate members, he is frequently ridiculed and is thought of as weak by several others. On the battlefield, however, he held his own, and proved to be a useful teammate

Ahh, a Marvel comics guy...

Status
Not open for further replies.