Laundering Flame Resistant Clothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

eric9822

Occupation
Electrical and Instrumentation Tech
I recall being told and/or reading that Flame Resistant Clothing should not be laundered with Non-Flame Resistant Clothing. I have scoured the websites of a few manufacturers of Indura Ultrasoft and none of the cleaning guides I found said not to mix them with other types of clothing. I actually found one website said mixing Nomex and Indura with other types of clothing was OK. Do I remember wrong?

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
I wear HazCat 1 (4 c/cm^2) jeans and shirt most every day I'm working. I don't like the Indura, too sticky feeling, I use the cotton-like Carhart stuff. So I don't know much of anything about the specifics of the Indura. (disclaimer completed)

I throw all in the wash together - seems to work fine.

Recomendation: Read the label on the particular clothing. It will give clear washing instructions. It's sort of like reading the mfg instructons for Listed equipment. :roll:

edit to delete "nomex" - cause I don't think it is nomex.

ice

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I recall being told and/or reading that Flame Resistant Clothing should not be laundered with Non-Flame Resistant Clothing. I have scoured the websites of a few manufacturers of Indura Ultrasoft and none of the cleaning guides I found said not to mix them with other types of clothing. I actually found one website said mixing Nomex and Indura with other types of clothing was OK. Do I remember wrong?

I have read that also, but I was under the impression it was because FR can't be laundered with fabric softners and other additives like bleach and dryer sheets. I don't use additives on any of my clothes, so my FR gets washed like the rest of my clothes. I have to wear FR everyday, so essentially my FR gets washed like regular work clothes.
Here is an OSHA .pdf. Look at page 17. http://www.osha.gov/dte/grant_materials/fy07/sh-16615-07/train-the-trainer_manual2.pdf

kwired

Electron manager
Arent you supposed to dry FR clothing over a real fire? That way if it burns up during the process you know the FR was no longer effective:lol:

renosteinke

This 'safety' stuff entered the twilight zone years ago.

As for laundering FR stuff .... well, what is it? Some of it has a 'treatment' that degrades over time. Some of it is supposed to be dry-cleaned. Some says do not dry-clean. Some is nearly bomb-proof. Some vendors say to replace, no matter what, every few washes.

So, I'll launder my stuff with my usual laundry, and take my chances. The commercial service work uses? Yea, right .... half a century in the labor force, and I've yet to see a laundry service that didn't leave you high and dry.

As for the cautions about fabric softeners, etc .... I can see the reasoning. They work by leaving a residue on the fabric, and the stuff wasn't rated with that residue. The maker simply does not know- indeed, the stuff might even help the rating. No one has tested it to see what difference, if any, fabric softener makes.

Contrast this to the rash of dryer fires in the 60's, where static electricity ignited clothing as it tumbled in the dryer. Fabric softener was found to be a very good way to keep that from happening. Sure, the static is an issue with certain synthetics .... plus, we all like the smell of the softener. (Especially on these hot days!)

eric9822

Occupation
Thanks for everyones input. I plan on calling the manufacturer to confirm if it's OK or not as long as no fabric softener is used. I'll post what they say if I get an answer.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
I've NEVER washed/laundered mine. It's about 5 years old. Keeps the customers from looking over my shoulder when I work live.

Mark

kwired

Electron manager
I remember when I was in Army we were told you are not supposed to launder the uniform because it was treated with something that made it harder to detect with infrared devices. Of course everyone washed uniforms anyway, but was told if we were to be mobilized that we would be issued new uniforms and those were not to be washed.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I've NEVER washed/laundered mine. It's about 5 years old. Keeps the customers from looking over my shoulder when I work live.

Mark

Wow. I bet any co-workers keep their distance too...:lol::lol:

zog

I wear HazCat 1 (4 c/cm^2) jeans and shirt most every day I'm working. I don't like the Indura, too sticky feeling, I use the cotton-like Carhart stuff. So I don't know much of anything about the specifics of the Indura. (disclaimer completed)

Carhart does not make any FR material, they buy it from other manufactures and make the clothing out of it, and most all Carhart garments use indura ultra soft.

zog

Some scary advice in this thread, and some good, you have to know what the material is (Not the manufacturer, there are 100's of FR clothing manufactures but just a few manufactures of the FR fabrics). You need to go to the source. I have about everything on file so if you post what fabric you have I can help out.

Also be aware they added care of FR clothing to the 2012 70E

(13) Care and Maintenance of Arc-rated Clothing and Arc-rated Arc Flash Suits.

(a) Inspection. Arc-rated apparel shall be inspected before each use. Work clothing or arc flash suits that are contaminated, or damaged to the extent their protective qualities are impaired, shall not be used. Protective items that become contaminated with grease, oil, or flammable liquids or combustible materials shall not be used.
(b) Manufacturer?s Instructions. The garment manufacturer?s instructions for care and maintenance of arc-rated apparel shall be followed.
(c) Storage. Arc-rated apparel shall be stored in a manner that prevents physical damage; damage from moisture, dust, or other deteriorating agents; or contamination from
flammable or combustible materials.
(d) Cleaning, Repairing, and Affixing Items. When arc-rated clothing is cleaned, manufacturer?s instructions shall be followed to avoid loss of protection. When arcrated clothing is repaired, the same arc-rated materials used to manufacture the arc-rated clothing shall be used to provide repairs. When trim, name tags, and/or logos are affixed to arc-rated clothing, guidance in ASTM F 1506, Standard Performance Specification for Textile Material for Wearing Apparel for Use by Electrical Workers Exposed to Momentary Electric Arc and Related Thermal Hazards, shall be followed [see Table 130.8(C)(14)].

eric9822

Occupation
Zog,

I am specifically interested in laundering for Indura Ultra Soft. Instructions we have are clear but do not say they cannot be laundered with non flame resistant clothing. I have emailed the manufacturere twice and have yet to receive a response.

zog

Zog,

I am specifically interested in laundering for Indura Ultra Soft. Instructions we have are clear but do not say they cannot be laundered with non flame resistant clothing. I have emailed the manufacturere twice and have yet to receive a response.

The reason is to avoid transferring contaminants or transferring non-FR fibers to the FR garment. This form of hydrocarbon loading may decrease protective value of the garment in some cases. (No documented government study is currently available, but one company?s internal anecdotal research is commonly cited as reducing protection by about 3% when laundered with non-FR cotton clothing.)

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Some scary advice in this thread, and some good, you have to know what the material is (Not the manufacturer, there are 100's of FR clothing manufactures but just a few manufactures of the FR fabrics). You need to go to the source. I have about everything on file so if you post what fabric you have I can help out.

Also be aware they added care of FR clothing to the 2012 70E

(13) Care and Maintenance of Arc-rated Clothing and Arc-rated Arc Flash Suits.

(a) Inspection. Arc-rated apparel shall be inspected before each use. Work clothing or arc flash suits that are contaminated, or damaged to the extent their protective qualities are impaired, shall not be used. Protective items that become contaminated with grease, oil, or flammable liquids or combustible materials shall not be used.
(b) Manufacturer?s Instructions. The garment manufacturer?s instructions for care and maintenance of arc-rated apparel shall be followed.
(c) Storage. Arc-rated apparel shall be stored in a manner that prevents physical damage; damage from moisture, dust, or other deteriorating agents; or contamination from
flammable or combustible materials.
(d) Cleaning, Repairing, and Affixing Items. When arc-rated clothing is cleaned, manufacturer?s instructions shall be followed to avoid loss of protection. When arcrated clothing is repaired, the same arc-rated materials used to manufacture the arc-rated clothing shall be used to provide repairs. When trim, name tags, and/or logos are affixed to arc-rated clothing, guidance in ASTM F 1506, Standard Performance Specification for Textile Material for Wearing Apparel for Use by Electrical Workers Exposed to Momentary Electric Arc and Related Thermal Hazards, shall be followed [see Table 130.8(C)(14)].

Also note the subtle little change in what Zog has posted here folks.

There is no more FR! Everything has to be AR (Arc Resistant) now! The clothing suppliers were, I think, caught off guard on this change when it took effect Jan 1 2012 and are only just now catching up and offering it. But just be aware if you are buying new clothing, insist on the AR rating, because sooner or later you are going to be asked to prove it

eric9822

Occupation
The reason is to avoid transferring contaminants or transferring non-FR fibers to the FR garment. This form of hydrocarbon loading may decrease protective value of the garment in some cases. (No documented government study is currently available, but one company?s internal anecdotal research is commonly cited as reducing protection by about 3% when laundered with non-FR cotton clothing.)

That was my understanding and we have instructed our employees to launder them sepatately from other clothing. What disturbed me was the manufacturer has a very detailed 12 page document outlining laundery instructions. That document says nothing about not mixing it with the normal wash.

renosteinke

Wonderful! So the $1000 of ordinary work clothes I have, all nicely certified to meet the standard, are now worthless .... not because they changed the standard, but they changed the name?

Let me guess ...... in a few years they'll change the name again, and expect me to buy it all over again.

Hate to be cynical, but my BS detector is ringly quite loudly now.

zog

Wonderful! So the $1000 of ordinary work clothes I have, all nicely certified to meet the standard, are now worthless .... not because they changed the standard, but they changed the name?

Let me guess ...... in a few years they'll change the name again, and expect me to buy it all over again.

Hate to be cynical, but my BS detector is ringly quite loudly now.

They just changed it becauuse not all FR clothing meets the ASTM F 1506 standard, but as long as your have an ATPV rating on your tag you are good.

hurk27

I just did my first day on the floor at US steel, we have two layers starting with long johns made by Indura with orange pants and jacket, I have added a long sleeve Indura T-shirt both the long johns and T-s are FR rated and the oranges are arc flash rated (not sure of the rating yet) It hit me kind of funny at first when I got my stuff, but after being in the heat it made me a believer on the long johns to keep me cool, I was out in this heat and never felt overly hot, would have never thought of doing this for attic work but it works, and the long johns were very comfortable with no sticky feeling.

I was worried about how much safety was implemented in there as I have heard so much over the years of stories of working hot and other dangerous things, but after going through their safety program, I was extreemly impressed on the care they take for us to be safe, and the many I have still to go through, it is not the same any more, with their rules if you get caught doing anything by not following their safety rules your gone.

The long johns and T-s do say wash only in cold water and not with other clothes or harsh detergents, the oranges are taken care of by the uniform company so I have no idea on them.

zog

Welcome to USS Portage :) I helped them develop their program years ago and trained most of their crew. Glad to hear they are still doing things right :)

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
When I used to work at Hercules in Kenvil, NJ we were issued flame retardant clothing. Lab coats (for desk jockeys, like me) and overalls for the folks doing real work. Everything was processed through the on-site laundry. The added a flame retardant chemical in the rinse cycle or some such. Everything was cotton. You weren't supposed to wear anything more than a 60/40 cotton blend. No slinky underwear, girls! In the event of a fire, they didn't want your clothing to melt to your skin :sick:.

That FR could really make a difference. They set up a treated and untreated pair of overalls in the middle of a burn pan and spread an 1" of smokeless powder in the pan. Ignited the powder, and after the flash! poof! the untreated pair had disappeared, the treated pair were barely singed.

Status
Not open for further replies.