Bonding Conductor in EMT Fitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

I am trying to locate a product I saw at a new installation recently. It was a grounding electrode conductor installed in EMT and it the end of the EMT where the conductor emerged, there was a fitting stuck or threaded into the EMT that pinched the GEC and that was the listed bonding method of the conductor to the EMT.

It seemed like a really clean way to bond the GEC to the raceway rather than a grounding bushing, but I can't find it in a catalog.

Suggestions are requested ....

iwire

Staff member
I am trying to locate a product I saw at a new installation recently. It was a grounding electrode conductor installed in EMT and it the end of the EMT where the conductor emerged, there was a fitting stuck or threaded into the EMT that pinched the GEC and that was the listed bonding method of the conductor to the EMT.

It seemed like a really clean way to bond the GEC to the raceway rather than a grounding bushing, but I can't find it in a catalog.

Suggestions are requested ....

http://www-public.tnb.com/ps/endeca/index.cgi?a=nav&N=1037+1008+4228+4294951410&Ntt=

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Kenny Clamp-- guess not- it is not flat

kennyConnector.jpg
thumbnail.aspx

Last edited:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The Kenny Clamp is a UL listed grounding and bonding connector. The Kenny Clamp bonds the enclosure of a service panelboard, load center, separately derived system or switchboard to the grounding electrode conductor, a 250.8 NEC application. The Kenny Clamp fits through a 1/2" knock out or punched hole. There are 10 sizes, each size is fitted with a internal compression fitting sized for the appropriate conductor. When purchasing, you should request the appropriate size based on grounding electrode conductor being used, Table 250.66 NEC identifies the required grounding electrode conductor sizes. UL 67 list bonding screws for residential panelboard at 30 amperes. Don't rely on the bond screw for ground-fault continuity.

ron

The Kenny Clamp is a UL listed grounding and bonding connector. The Kenny Clamp bonds the enclosure of a service panelboard, load center, separately derived system or switchboard to the grounding electrode conductor, a 250.8 NEC application. The Kenny Clamp fits through a 1/2" knock out or punched hole. There are 10 sizes, each size is fitted with a internal compression fitting sized for the appropriate conductor. When purchasing, you should request the appropriate size based on grounding electrode conductor being used, Table 250.66 NEC identifies the required grounding electrode conductor sizes. UL 67 list bonding screws for residential panelboard at 30 amperes. Don't rely on the bond screw for ground-fault continuity.

That's it! Is it available from more than one manufacturer? If so, is "Kenny" a specific product name or is it generic.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It seems that the original Kenny Clamp is only good up to 3/0AWG. Of course this application I was going to use a larger conductor.

What application would require a GEC larger than #3/0?

I see engineers spec 500 kcmil quite often and we have the same issue with bonding to the raceway. I recently saw this solution on a job:

IMG_0664.JPG

ron

I see engineers spec 500 kcmil quite often and we have the same issue with bonding to the raceway. I recently saw this solution on a job:

IMG_0664.JPG

The equipment application is similar to a GEC install which is why I indicated it. In reality, it is a telecommunications ground bar conductor where the client standard is 4/0AWG. Somewhat similar to what you posted.

ron

IMG_0664.JPG
In the picture, is the bonding from the conductor in the EMT to the EMT occuring with a #10 or something small like that?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Those don't look like listed fittings but I can't find anything that states they have to be.

They certainly are not listed as depicted in the photo but no one manufactures a fitting to terminate a 500 kcmil GEC to a 1.25" raceway so someone improvised.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
In the picture, is the bonding from the conductor in the EMT to the EMT occuring with a #10 or something small like that?

No it is a bonding strap which is pary of the lug. I assume if the lug accepts a 4/0 then so does the entire lug.

Status
Not open for further replies.