Attic light on 3way

Status
Not open for further replies.

aftershock

Permanent stairs leading into attic. 12 steps up. I have a feeling 210.70(A)(2)(a) will require a light for the stairs then (c) will kick in to requi

dicklaxt

I don't see a requirement for a 3 way,,,,,,,,,,,,off/on switch at the stairs and a light at the equipment with an additional light to illuminate the stairway if needed?

dick

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't see a requirement for a 3 way,,,,,,,,,,,,off/on switch at the stairs and a light at the equipment with an additional light to illuminate the stairway if needed?

dick
Sure you could have a sp switch downstairs controlling the light on the stairs but you would need a sp controlling another light for the stair on the second floor also.--art. 210.70(A)(2)(c) is pretty clear-- doesn't state that an attic is exempt. The norm is a pair of 3 way switches.

aftershock

My boss thinks I can get away without a 3 way, but that means no light in stairwell, then I violate (a) .
Edit: its 19 steps, tall ceiling.

Last edited:

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Sure you could have a sp switch downstairs controlling the light on the stairs but you would need a sp controlling another light for the stair on the second floor also.--art. 210.70(A)(2)(c) is pretty clear-- doesn't state that an attic is exempt. The norm is a pair of 3 way switches.

What about subsection (3) ----- at least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces. Since the atic is not occupiable I do not believe it requires a three way. If you turn on the light at the base of the stairs, which would be the usual point of entry you would not need to turn it off when you entered the atic level only when you exited.

dicklaxt

Dennis you are right but it also doesn't say you need a light switch at the top of the stairs when the light is already on as there is only one access to the attic...........LOL.I think this is one of those gray areas where good judgement is called for.

Not trying to be argumentative but the last 3 homes I have owned had 1 switch and 1 light. The stair was a diappearing pull down and the light switch was on the wall 18 inches below the ceiling and can be reached from the top or bottom of the stair ladder either coming or going.

dick

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
What about subsection (3) ----- at least one point of control shall be at the usual point of entry to these spaces. Since the atic is not occupiable I do not believe it requires a three way. If you turn on the light at the base of the stairs, which would be the usual point of entry you would not need to turn it off when you entered the atic level only when you exited.
The idea here is if someone shuts off the light from below then you have a means to turn it on. It seems unnecessary but that is how it reads to me.

Dennis you are right but it also doesn't say you need a light switch at the top of the stairs when the light is already on as there is only one access to the attic...........LOL.I think this is one of those gray areas where good judgement is called for.

Not trying to be argumentative but the last 3 homes I have owned had 1 switch and 1 light. The stair was a diappearing pull down and the light switch was on the wall 18 inches below the ceiling and can be reached from the top or bottom of the stair ladder either coming or going.

dick

Pull down stairs are not under the same rule as permanent stairs, IMO. W always put the switch up at the top of the pull down stairs where it can be reached from the top steps

Occupation
Inspector
How about installing a door switch of some sort so when the stairs are pulled down the light automatically comes on. It would stay on as long as the stairs are down. No need to worry about being turned off while you're up in the attic.

kwired

Electron manager
Permanent stairs leading into attic. 12 steps up. I have a feeling 210.70(A)(2)(a) will require a light for the stairs then (c) will kick in to requi

OP has said it is permanent stairs leading to an attic. He did not mention whether or not this is a habitable space. If it is habitable space I believe he needs switches at each level, if it is not habitable space it is a little more debatable but I think a switch near the entrance to the space is sufficient.

aftershock

OP has said it is permanent stairs leading to an attic. He did not mention whether or not this is a habitable space. If it is habitable space I believe he needs switches at each level, if it is not habitable space it is a little more debatable but I think a switch near the entrance to the space is sufficient.

What would define an attic as habitable space?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
There is nothing in 210.70(A)(3) that requires the space to be habitable. If you have an unfinished basement would you require a switch at the top and bottom. I think the same is true for an attic with permanent stairs. If the stairway is on the interior then a switch is required at each level with a few exceptions

kwired

Electron manager
There is nothing in 210.70(A)(3) that requires the space to be habitable. If you have an unfinished basement would you require a switch at the top and bottom. I think the same is true for an attic with permanent stairs. If the stairway is on the interior then a switch is required at each level with a few exceptions

True, then there is the many old homes that was common to build a stairway to attic, but I run into many that get filled with enough thermal insulation there is no real use for the space period - but NEC still requires switch at each level of the stairway I guess.

aftershock

The stairway is accessible from the garage, if that makes any difference.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
The stairway is accessible from the garage, if that makes any difference.
I think that is a call an AHJ would make. It is inside but .... If I used the words as written I would have to say yes. It is not that big a deal however it does seem like a waste of time.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
If there are lights in the garage that light the stairs and a sp upstairs that lights the attic then IMO you are good to go. No three way is needed.

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Status
Not open for further replies.