electrical service grounding & bonding

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Background: Overhead 200A, 240V/120V single phase service. Service conductors run down building to a 200A disconnect, from the disconnect to a 4 gang meter stack, and from each meter to a 100A disconnect.

Dillema: The inspector doesn't like the grounding & bonding. The grounded service conductor isn't split into separate EGS's and grounded conductors (i.e. neutral and ground) until it gets to each 100 amp disconnect. I believe it was done like this because the meter stack only has a single bus for the grounded conductor & EGC.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

(I'm not 100% sure I'm using the terms right. Article 250 is somewhat confusing.)

bob

Other than is doesn't meet code, no problem. You are suppose to seperate the neutral and EGC after the main switch. If the conduit is metal you would not need an EGC.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Is the 200 amp disco the service disconnect or a meter disconnection means?

I'm not sure - it's purpose is to limit the current on the service to 200 amps, but there are also the 100A disconnects. Those might be the service disconnects.

Maybe a diagram will help. It shows one of the (4) 100A disconnects.

One Line.jpg

Hopefully, its readable.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Rob gave the "keyword". It's somewhat semantics but we treat it differently depending on the reason for the 200 amp main. If its' there at POCO's request as a meter disconnect you can probably connect your grounding electrodes downstream. If it's service equipment, the GEC should come from there or before.

A couple of things might help clarify:

Is the 200 amp switch (breaker) locked by POCO ?

Do you have GECs from each of fhe 100 amp breakers ?

harpo

harpo

if the utility requires the disconnect, as allowed in 230.82 all service grounding can be in the 100 amp disconnects. in michigan , the utility company some times requires the supply side disconnect if the service conductors are ran
a long distance on the outside of a building

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Since the 200 disconnect is also an OCPD I say this is the service disconnect point and the inspector is right. If it was ONLY a disconnect it may be arguable.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Texie, you have a good point. I have never known POCO to use a breaker for this purpose. As you say, if it's there for over-current protection which the OP mentioned, the inspector is correct. GEC connections must be made at or prior to the 200 amp OCP.

On a side note, most if not all non-fuse disconnects have a 10k rating. May not be an issue here but it's an interesting situation to discuss with POCO when they require one.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Is the 200 amp switch (breaker) locked by POCO ?

The cover will have a utility tag to seal the cover closed. The breaker handle itself probably wont be locked.

Do you have GECs from each of fhe 100 amp breakers ?

GEC's -grounding electrode conductors, right? The wires that go to the ground rod and water pipe? Right now those are ran from the 200 amp disconnects.

Steve

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Rob gave the "keyword". It's somewhat semantics but we treat it differently depending on the reason for the 200 amp main. If its' there at POCO's request as a meter disconnect you can probably connect your grounding electrodes downstream. If it's service equipment, the GEC should come from there or before.

OK, but my biggest question is where can I split the service neutral wire into separate neutral and ground wires? Does that have to occur in the same enclsoure that the GEC comes from?? In other words, where do I have to go from a 3 wire system to a 4 wire system?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
Separating the equipment grounds and neutrals is required at any location after the service disconnect.
(There are exceptions, one of which may cover your meter in 250.142).
You have a unique situation as a determination must be made as the which device(s) is your actual service equipment and if you do actually have a POCO meter disconnect.
It may take a discussion between you, the inspector and POCO.
Locally the 200 amp disconnect would probably considered the service equipment.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Separating the equipment grounds and neutrals is required at any location after the service disconnect.
(There are exceptions, one of which may cover your meter in 250.142).
You have a unique situation as a determination must be made as the which device(s) is your actual service equipment and if you do actually have a POCO meter disconnect.
It may take a discussion between you, the inspector and POCO.
Locally the 200 amp disconnect would probably considered the service equipment.

OK, thanks for the code refrence. That helps a lot.

I think the first disconnects are the service disconnects.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Why? Does the 200 amp disco have OCPD? If so, I missed it.

Yes, its a circuit breaker.

I didn't mention this earlier, but the one-line only shows one service drop. There are actually 3 identical service drops, each feeding a 200A circuit breaker, and 4 meters.

So there are actually (12) of the 100 amp circuit breakers. As a result, I think the 200 amp circuit breakers need to be considered service disconnects to keep from being over the limit of 6 disconnecting means for a single building.

kwired

Electron manager

I didn't mention this earlier, but the one-line only shows one service drop. There are actually 3 identical service drops, each feeding a 200A circuit breaker, and 4 meters.

So there are actually (12) of the 100 amp circuit breakers. As a result, I think the 200 amp circuit breakers need to be considered service disconnects to keep from being over the limit of 6 disconnecting means for a single building.
I totally agree with that.
I believe the neutral is allowed to be bonded in those meters if they are located adjacent to the service disconnecting means the grounded conductor is no smaller than would be required by 250.122(which I don't know why is there because this is minimum size of grounded conductor anyway in that kind of circumstance) and there is no ground fault protection. See 250.142(B) exception 2.

I myself may still pass the neutral through the meter without connection to any bonding or possibly use non metallic raceways or cables to prevent neutral current from being carried through unintended paths

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Background: Overhead 200A, 240V/120V single phase service. Service conductors run down building to a 200A disconnect, from the disconnect to a 4 gang meter stack, and from each meter to a 100A disconnect.

Dillema: The inspector doesn't like the grounding & bonding. The grounded service conductor isn't split into separate EGS's and grounded conductors (i.e. neutral and ground) until it gets to each 100 amp disconnect. I believe it was done like this because the meter stack only has a single bus for the grounded conductor & EGC.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this?

(I'm not 100% sure I'm using the terms right. Article 250 is somewhat confusing.)
Yes. The 200A circuit breaker should be provided with GEC and the EGC should start from there, because the meters, 100A breakers etc., are in the feeder circuit from the 200A circuit breaker as the service disconnecting means and neutral should not be bonded to the meter and 100A breaker enclosures.

T

T.M.Haja Sahib

Not necessarily. The Code speaks of 2 to 6 service disconnects per service only. If more than one service is required and permitted by the Code, more than one set of 2 to 6 service disconnects can be provided in a single building in the same location.

Status
Not open for further replies.