210.12(B)(2) -- Where's the 1st Receptacle Outlet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
2011 NEC 210.12(B)(2) . . .where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:

(2) A listed outlet branch-circuit AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit.
For the life of me I can't get this to settle down in my head.

I suppose this means that the BCO AFCI is placed in the receptacle outlet that is as close to the overcurrent protective device (OCPD) as originally wired on the existing branch circuit . . .

-- But --

When I look at where the branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced or extended and look for the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit there, I come up with something different. The "first receptacle outlet" should be the receptacle outlet closest to the new wiring.

And, what if the branch circuit is run: OCPD -- lighting outlet (LO) -- LO -- LO -- NEW EXTENSION to Receptacle Outlet. An existing branch circuit where there is no receptacle outlet on the existing branch circuit?

There are a whole bunch of possible configurations that will be existing branch circuits, numbers of which will not have a receptacle outlet in series with the rest of the downstream branch circuit. 210.12(B)(2) does not instruct adding of a NEW receptacle outlet for the BCO AFCI. In this case am I forced NOT to use a BCO AFCI?

macmikeman

I'll take it even further. What about a duplex receptacle outlet. Mounted vertically, but not directly under the panel. Which one is the first? The one on top, or the one on the bottom. If you remove the wrong one (top or bottom, keep up kids) and install an afci receptacle, how do you know you didn't install it where the second receptacle was?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The first receptacle is the one closest to the OCPD, IMO. You connect the AFCI to the line side of the home run and the load to the other and you're good.

If you continue a circuit then the fci must be at the receptacle that you add on from. If the area you add to is not a receptacle then you need to go back so that any new wiring is protected by the afci.

iwire

Staff member
The first receptacle is the one closest to the OCPD, IMO. You connect the AFCI to the line side of the home run and the load to the other and you're good.

If you continue a circuit then the fci must be at the receptacle that you add on from. If the area you add to is not a receptacle then you need to go back so that any new wiring is protected by the afci.

So which is the first receptacal, is it the one closest to the OCPD or is it the first one you add?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
So which is the first receptacal, is it the one closest to the OCPD or is it the first one you add?
The neither in some cases. It is the one that you add from. If you have a receptacle in the circuit and add from it then the wire that is being extended must be protected so the existing receptacle in this case, would need the afci receptacle. I believe the whole idea is to protect any new runs of wires not existing runs however that would also be allowed.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
But maybe I want to add one more lighting outlet controlled by same place as the first outlet:(
So put a afci in the panel - you'll figure it out because I know you are smart enough. This is not rocket science however it can make it difficult to do as you say.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, understand I am not trying to bust your chops here but how do you know that?

I don't see the code section as clear at all.

I know because I am a genius. :D

Look at 210.12(B)-- your choice is a listed afci at the beginning of the circuit or a listed afci outlet located at the first recep outlet of the existing circuit. That is clear to me.

I wrote a proposal that simply stated this

Exception: Where extension of the branch circuit does not include any added outlets or devices.
It was accepted in principle based on my substantiation for panel changes where you may need to extend the cir. Another proposal stated 6' and that got accepted-- from this I surmise that all new wiring needs afci protection. I cannot see it any other way.

iwire

Staff member
Lets see if I can make what I am saying clearer.

Here is an existing circuit with 5 receptacles. (R)

Panel > R1 > R2 > R3 > R4 > R5

Now I come in and add 5 New Receptacles (NR)

Panel > R1 > R2 > R3 > R4 > R5 > NR6 > NR7 > NR8 > NR9 > NR10

Now based on 210.12(B)(2)

A listed outlet branch-circuit AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit.

Which postion must I add the AFCI device?

R5? NR6? or maybe R1? :?

al hildenbrand

Occupation
:sick:
So which is the first receptacle, is it the one closest to the OCPD or is it the first one you add?
The neither in some cases. It is the one that you add from. If you have a receptacle in the circuit and add from it then the wire that is being extended must be protected so the existing receptacle in this case, would need the AFCI receptacle. I believe the whole idea is to protect any new runs of wires not existing runs however that would also be allowed.
Morning Dennis,

The first 2011 NEC continuing ed class that I had (taught by MN State Electrical Inspections approved instructors) basically agreed with you, and, in looking at the illustration in the IAEI Analysis of Changes, it made perfect sense to me.

But then I got around to reading the IAEI commentary and I read:
Debate ensued among CMP-2 members as to the location of the outlet branch-circuit AFCI device. Should it be installed at the point of the extension (new wiring only) or at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit to provide AFCI protection for as much of the branch circuit as possible. Previous substantiation supported the latter due to the high percentage of fires at older dwelling units.
--BUT-- then the IAEI Analysis of Changes also says, with regard to 210.12(B)(2),:
If there are no receptacle outlets on the branch circuit that is to be extended, then a listed outlet branch-circuit AFCI device will need to be installed at the first receptacle outlet of the extension to the existing branch circuit.
How does that interpretation come from the language of 210.12(B)(2)?

Is the new extension wiring included as "existing branch circuit"?

What if the extension from a fuse OCPD branch circuit will have no receptacle outlets, what if the extension is from a lighting outlet for a new lighting outlet only? Am I required to ADD a OBC AFCI receptacle outlet in my extension? (Say I work in an old dwelling with a hallway light that is switch controlled, and I add another light extended from the first light.)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
2011 NEC 210.12(B)(2) . . .where branch-circuit wiring is modified, replaced or extended, the branch circuit shall be protected by one of the following:

(2) A listed outlet branch-circuit AFCI located at the first receptacle outlet of the existing branch circuit.
As written it seems that ALL of our choices are CORRECT. Say as in the case of Iwire's hypothetical in Post # 13, BOTH R1 and R5 are "first".

al hildenbrand

Occupation
And if the existing branch circuit included existing Lighting Outlets (LO) and, with new wiring extension for New Receptacles, looked like:

PANEL > LO1 > LO2 > LO3 > LO4 > LO5 > NR1 > NR2 > NR3 > NR4 > NR5

Then NR1 would be the "first".

al hildenbrand

Occupation
And what about:

PANEL > LO1 > LO2 > LO3 > LO4 > NLO5
.........................|
........................R1

Where R1 is tagged off LO2, and one can say that the exisiting branch circuit HAS a receptacle outlet, but there is no way, short of additional circuit modification, for the OBC AFCI to be wired in a "feed thru" manner. Am I required, when using 210.12(B)(2), to place the OBC AFCI at R1? (NLO = New Lighting Outlet)

Last edited:

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Off topic comment, props to you for figuring out how to show a branch from a circuit, I had not figured out how to do that. :)
[laughing] The forum software eats "spaces." [/laughing]

I put a string of periods ahead of the pipe and the R1, and then I changed their color to that of the background off white.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Lets see if I can make what I am saying clearer.

Here is an existing circuit with 5 receptacles. (R)

Panel > R1 > R2 > R3 > R4 > R5

Now I come in and add 5 New Receptacles (NR)

Panel > R1 > R2 > R3 > R4 > R5 > NR6 > NR7 > NR8 > NR9 > NR10

Now based on 210.12(B)(2)

Which postion must I add the AFCI device?

R5? NR6? or maybe R1? :?

IMO R5 needs the afci receptacle but it can be anywhere before that also. Perhaps the actual wording may not state this but we are looking at additions to the circuit. We are not trying to protect the outlet but the wire also so why would a afci be required at R6- that would not make sense. It would also be unnecessary to require an existing part of the circuit to be protected. I realize I am assuming intent here to some degree but I believe this is the basic interpretation of what this section is requiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.